User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV Road Side Assistance

I've had a AAA Premier membership for years and figured when I got my TT I would just add RV coverage but two things have made me pause. First is that after searching I find that RV coverage with AAA can be spotty as you travel from one club area to another (definitely in my plans). Another is that when I log into my AAA account there's no option to upgrade for RV. Is this something you have to call in or something they're just not promoting or no longer offering. Starting to look at GS and CN but am ambivalent about leaving AAA.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't overlook FMCA https://www.fmca.com/fmca-rv-roadside-assistance They only recently started accepting towable owners for membership, but reports are good.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have AAA with RV and travel frequently out of the Chicago area. I have used it in both Florida and Wisconsin with no issues, but that obviously does not speak to the whole county. I do not know about the add on, mine has been RV since I first signed up.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freebird View Post
    I've had a AAA Premier membership for years and figured when I got my TT I would just add RV coverage but two things have made me pause. First is that after searching I find that RV coverage with AAA can be spotty as you travel from one club area to another (definitely in my plans). Another is that when I log into my AAA account there's no option to upgrade for RV. Is this something you have to call in or something they're just not promoting or no longer offering. Starting to look at GS and CN but am ambivalent about leaving AAA.
    I paid a lot of money for the highest level of CAA membership including RV. It was supposed to cover me across North America.

I did this even though both of the two times I previously needed CAA service in Canada, without an RV, in urban areas near my home, I spent more than three hours waiting for service. Both times, and they were not peak times, not snowstorms or other such loads.

However I wanted the peace of mind when towing our Solitude. When we picked up a screw in one of our trailer tires I felt smart about paying about $170 for the CAA membership.

Not so bright, as it turned out. The AAA operator promised service within 40 minutes, and after that had passed promised service within another hour. When that hour had nearly expired I got a call from a service provider who claimed he had just rec'd the call from AAA and would be another hour getting to me. He told me he could tell that AAA had been shopping the call around to other providers - who would not take it - for the past hour.

When that provider's hour was nearly up, I got a text message from AAA, the provider's truck had a hydraulic leak, would it be OK (I swear this is true!) if the truck came the next day!!!

I called the resort we had just left, got a recommendation for a tire company, and had them there fixing our tire within 35 minutes! Paid $160 out of pocket, which I'll be trying to extract from CAA when I return to Canada (not hopeful). I was not in the middle of nowhere, I was four miles outside Port Charlotte Florida, and it was not peak traffic time it was midday!

It is obvious to me from my experiences and from conversations with the drivers that provided service that CAA/AAA doesn't have good relationships with service providers and probably doesn't pay enough, such that their calls are handled with lowest priority by service providers. I will never buy CAA/AAA membership at any level again.
    Last edited by boyscout; 03-04-2019 at 02:30 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    I paid a lot of money for the highest level of CAA membership including RV. It was supposed to cover me across North America.
    Hi Mark,

We had the same CAA "premium" coverage . . . until we heard stories like yours.

So, I decided to come at this from the other end . . . who do I see taking care of customers in campgrounds and along the side of the road? In the US (at least the I75 corridor) this is always Good Sams. The service suppliers all work with Good Sams every day. They know that they will get paid when Good Sams calls them.

There are a lot of "pressure marketing" things that I don't like about the Good Sams organization, but we pay the fee to have them available if we need this. (so far . . . we have not). We also have their "Travel Assistance" to get the rig home if I can't do it for any reason. Both are relatively cheap "insurance" vs the alternatives.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have CAA RV coverage. I haven't used it for my RV but have used it 3 or 4 times over the years. Always got prompt service.
    Maybe I one of the lucky ones.
    Like Rob I get Travel Assistance coverage especially if I know I will be on a lengthy US trip.

Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    State Farm did well by me with my truck blowing a head gasket. Covered the truck and separate RV tow. I have a rider on the truck for towing that actually covers all the vehicles I own. (At least I think that is how it still is)
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had Good Sam for years. A few years ago, we had a catastrophic transmission failure with our trailer in tow. We were about 25 miles outside of Durango, Colorado. No cell coverage so I walked a ways to a ranch where the owner was kind enough to let me use the land line. The operator was extremely helpful and a little over an hour later, a flat bed and a tow truck arrived. My truck went on the flat bed and the trailer was hitched to the tow truck. First, we all went to the Ford dealership in where my truck was dropped off. Then, it was on to the campground where the tow truck driver situated our trailer on the campsite that we had previously reserved. That experience convinced us that Good Sam is the way to go for RV roadside assistance and all of your other vehicles are covered automatically.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had Coachnet ERS when we had motorhomes and used it once. They were efficient and helpful. FMCA does have its own ERS now. If we were towing the Solitude I would get either Coachnet or the FMCA program.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same AAA membership with RV. Have not had to use them until this week, call went in pretty quick and within we had a tow truck at our house to get our TV and Trailer out of our soggy yard. No issues. We also have Good Sam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast