User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation 375res weight-leaf spring issues

I have a 2019 Solitude 375res that has about 700 miles on it so far.
    I was checking the air pressure in the spare and noticed the leaf springs on the left (road/kitchen) side are flat and bent. The RV has always leaned towards that side and looking at my delivery documents it came with that side being over 700# heavier then the curb side. That’s with an empty fridge, pantry, cupboards.
    The weight difference can only get worse when loading the RV. All the cabinets are on the left-road side of the unit.
    With 7000# axles and springs the RV is almost at its suspension limits when loaded. The left side may be over the max capacity.
    It looks like some of the owners have modified their units to make up for these issues. Some preemptively before using the first time while others after spring failures. Some springs have broken while traveling.
    Changes made:
    -swapping out the 7000# axles and springs for 8000# ones.
    -putting higher capacity springs on the road (heavy) side to level the RV to make up for the heavy side.

Also improving:
    -brakes. Going to 8000# disk brakes
    -shackles. Installing heavy duty, wet shackles.

What should I do? I’ve scheduled my unit for spring service but if GD/Dexter agrees to merely replace the springs that the unit originally came with, I’ll likely have to take it back in later when the replacement springs fail. And if they break while traveling it could be catistrophic with people getting hurt.

Thanx for your input.

Carey & Sharon Brown
    Last edited by howson; 03-07-2019 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Deleted phone number. -Moderator Howard

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would voice your concern with GD as well as the dealer. This should be handled under warranty.

Also it is not advisable to post your phone number.

Brian

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also I deleted your post in the "Feed back to factory" they have not been monitoring this.

Brian

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How would I get my concerns/questions to GD?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Careymbrown View Post
    How would I get my concerns/questions to GD?
    Go to Grand Design website , there is a tab for owner support.

Brian

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe I've seen this issue on the 375 in prior postings; is this just a 375 issue or do other models have this problem? We too are considering the 375
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had some issues with the springs on our 2018 375RES as well. After delivery noticed the same "negative arch" to the springs. GD had my dealer replace them but unfortunately the rig was lifted 3" with the new springs, putting the rig over height. Finally got those springs replaced and now the drivers side is about 3/4" lower than the curb side. So I completely emptied the rig even the pics off the wall (just as delivered), went to the scales and she's 500# heavier than the factory weight sticker. From the scales to the dealer who confirmed it was empty and that it does lean. That was 3 months ago and still waiting to see what GD does next. Looking at other posts on here there has been a constant spring issue, it's about time this be resolved. Otherwise we love this thing, but I'm just concerned about this suspension issue.
    2016 Chevy Silverado 3500HD High Country Duramax
    Air Lift Air Bag Suspension
    2018 Solitude 375RES

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does these leaf springs look right?

Today my wife and I visited a local dealer because they finally had a 375 in stock for us to take a look at. We love the floorplan, etc., but this suspension/leaf spring issue that I've read about in a few posts has me concerned. Take a look a these images - this is a brand new unit still on the lot, not loaded. The springs are taking a "W" shape. Is that normal?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	18191

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	18192

(and quite a bit of road salt to clean off too.)
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Today my wife and I visited a local dealer because they finally had a 375 in stock for us to take a look at. We love the floorplan, etc., but this suspension/leaf spring issue that I've read about in a few posts has me concerned. Take a look a these images - this is a brand new unit still on the lot, not loaded. The springs are taking a "W" shape. Is that normal?

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	18191

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	18192

(and quite a bit of road salt to clean off too.)
    I would not touch that unit unless they beefed up the springs. That is an accident waiting to happen. They cut things way too close on these double axle units. There is no reason they couldn’t put heavier springs 7nder these when they build them. Could probably do both axles for a couple hundred bucks. They spend more on warranty issues with these than they would have spent.
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    The springs are taking a "W" shape. Is that normal?
    orbsah - Excellent "pre-purchase" research ! .
    You are correct that a "W" shaped spring has already "failed".
    This is not a situation that you want to own.

Sorry GDRV . . . but these are the engineering facts.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast