User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, Kuat recently announced that the Transfer v2 2-bike model is their first rack that is rated for RV use.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jreagan3525 View Post
    FWIW, Kuat recently announced that the Transfer v2 2-bike model is their first rack that is rated for RV use.
    Wish someone would engineer and RV rate a 4-bike platform rack....
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludicrous View Post
    Fsalmy, We're going with one of these. Some friends have them and really like them.
    https://loloracks.com/the-rack
    Thanks. I had looked at the Lolo racks earlier this year and recall seeing a statement, maybe in the FAQ section, that the rack is not rated for RVs or trailers. My concern is that with that tilt system, the lever arm action when mounted on a FW or TT will ultimately cause rack failure. I also believe Lolo recommends a receiver hitch with a min rating of 350 lb tongue weight. I think all of GD frame mount receivers are rated to a max of 300 lbs.

We have a 4-bike rack from Let’s Go Aero. It is rv rated but I HATE that thing. It takes 30 mins to load all 4 bikes which include my full suspension MTB, my wife’s town cruiser with fenders, and my two kids’ MTBs. It is like a Tetris puzzle with even less fun.

Just received a Thule Range that is rv rated. Its still in the box. Although it’s not a platform rack, it has to be better than the Aero mental and physical torture rack. I even looked for a front mount receiver for my F450 so I could put a Kuat on it. Nothing for the 2021 model year, though.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just purchased the Hollywood HLY64FR for our 337RLS. It does require a 2" receiver but it is RV approved and rated for 2 80 lb E bikes. I like the way the clamps attach to the frame and are adjustable to multiple angles so it will fit all sizes and types of bikes.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Thanks. I had looked at the Lolo racks earlier this year and recall seeing a statement, maybe in the FAQ section, that the rack is not rated for RVs or trailers. My concern is that with that tilt system, the lever arm action when mounted on a FW or TT will ultimately cause rack failure. I also believe Lolo recommends a receiver hitch with a min rating of 350 lb tongue weight. I think all of GD frame mount receivers are rated to a mix of 300 lbs.

We have a 4-bike rack from Let’s Go Aero. It is rv rated but I HATE that thing. It takes 30 mins to load all 4 bikes which include my full suspension MTB, my wife’s town cruiser with fenders, and my two kids’ MTBs. It is like a Tetris puzzle.

Just received a Thule Range that is rv rated. Its still in the box. Although it’s not a platform rack, it has to be better than the Aero mental and physical torture rack. I even looked for a front mount receiver for my F450 so I could put a Kuat on it. Nothing for the 2021 model year, though.
    Just saw that too when I started digging in more.. hence deleting the post. However this is the other one we are thinking about. It's on the expensive side but I think it'll do the job:
    https://www.altaracks.com/product/alta-quattro-gpr/
    RV rated: https://www.altaracks.com/questions-answers/
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    2017 Chevy 2500HD SB Diesel
    B&W Turnover Goose & Andersen Ultimate

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludicrous View Post
    Just saw that too when I started digging in more.. hence deleting the post. However this is the other one we are thinking about. It's on the expensive side but I think it'll do the job:
    https://www.altaracks.com/product/alta-quattro-gpr/
    RV rated: https://www.altaracks.com/questions-answers/
    Interesting for sure. Maybe need the tie downs? For my wife’s bike with fenders, I guess we could fashion a pad for it.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Interesting for sure. Maybe need the tie downs? For my wife’s bike with fenders, I guess we could fashion a pad for it.
    Yep, they say tie downs are required for RVs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 11.30.58 AM.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	410.9 KB 
ID:	33927
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    2017 Chevy 2500HD SB Diesel
    B&W Turnover Goose & Andersen Ultimate

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW: I mounted a front receiver on my truck. That way I can see my bikes and don't have to worry about the bouncing at the aft end of the fifth wheel. Just a thought.
    Kim and Mark Lewis
    Lizzy the cat
    2021 Solitude S-class 3540GK-R

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resurrecting this thread to give an update on our quest for a 4-bike rack.

I installed the Thule Range RV-rated bike rack (conventional 2 arm-style https://www.thule.com/en-us/van-acce...e-range-_-9057) on our fifth wheel. The 4 bikes included my wife's heavy steel town cruiser with 26" wheels and full steel fenders front and rear, my older model full-suspension alloy mountain bike with 26" wheels, and two hard tail MTBs with 24" wheels (my kids' bikes). Although easier to load than the Let's Go Aero Bike Wing, it was still difficult and took many different combinations of bike order to minimize, but not eliminate rubbing of levers, handle bars, seats and/or pedals. We only traveled about 200 miles with those particular bikes. My wife's bike was loaded first and I thought there was sufficient clearance between her bar ends and the rear wall of the camper. I didn't notice any damage when I unloaded at our destination, but later, after my wife had unloaded the bikes at home, there were some pretty deep scratches in gel coat from her handle bars. I don't know if that was from travel or from unloading. I won't speculate any further in order to save my marriage.

Fast forward a few weeks. My daughter now has a new MTB with 29" wheels and I have a new full suspension carbon frame enduro bike. My son still has his 24"-wheeled bike, but we have a 29" on order for him. Wife still has same bike but is looking at a hybrid without fenders (a new, lighter bike for her without fenders may also contribute to preserving our marriage, but I digress).

Well, I spent nearly 2 hours the night before our last camping trip trying to load that combination of bikes on the Thule Range. No matter what combination, orientation, whatever I could think of, I could not get all 4-bikes on that rack without substantial rubbing of metal against metal or metal against seats, or even against the camper. In fact, I could only get 3 bikes on the rack at a time. Since we were taking two vehicles, I ended up with my wife's and my bike on the Thule Range which was mounted to the camper, and on another Thule rack (similar to the Range, but older model) on the back of the Expedition were my daughter's and son's bikes. On the way to the campground (~120 miles), my daughter's bike almost came off the rack. For the return trip, I decided to mount my daughter's and my bike on the Thule Range and my wife and son's bike on the Thule on the Expy. This time, my daughter's bike slipped off the rubberized cradle causing the top tube to rub on the metal bike rack, but at least the rubber strap did not come off. I guess it's because the top down tubes on her bike are quite wide and are more oval than round.

Three different racks and we can't safely transport our 4 bikes on one rack. So, here I am researching alternatives once again. I think our only option is a vertical rack because platform racks on an RV extend too far, likely won't work with the departure angles encountered on our farm and one of the secondary roads we have to travel. Plus, from what I can tell, there is no such thing as a RV-rated 4-bike platform rack. I don't want a front of truck-mounted rack due to interference with adaptive cruise and collision avoidance features on our TV and roof-mounted racks for the F450 have too low a load limit.

I've watched videos, read specs, looked at schematics, read tons of reviews, you name it, on vertical racks from North Shore, Yakima, Alta Rack and VelociRax. I think I've got it down to either the Alta Rack (AR) mentioned by @Ludicrous above or the VelociRax https://www.velocirax.com/. I've called both companies and spoken with the respective owners. I'm leaning towards the AR because of greater ground clearance, adjustable wheel basket positions and lighter weight. I also think there is greater clearance between the rack and the rear all of the RV.

Just wondering if anyone else has gone with a vertical rack on their trailer? @Ludicrous, did you end purchasing the AR?
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kuat Sherpa 2.0 2-Bike Hitch Rack
    https://www.kuat.com/product/sherpa-2-0/

It is solid !!! Held a Sondors E-Bike (~50 lbs. w/ batt.) and a mountain bike (~27 lbs.).

Just reviewed the specs, and says it is not RV compatible. I'm almost certain it used to be, otherwise I would not have bought it. Interesting!!!
    Last edited by Grand Rocky; 08-02-2021 at 04:39 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2021 RAM 3500 MegaCab SWD Diesel 4x4
    SOLD --> 2020 Solitude 310GK

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast