Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Rocky View Post
    Kuat Sherpa 2.0 2-Bike Hitch Rack
    https://www.kuat.com/product/sherpa-2-0/

It is solid !!! Held a Sondors E-Bike (~50 lbs. w/ batt.) and a mountain bike (~27 lbs.).

Just reviewed the specs, and says it is not RV compatible. I'm almost certain it used to be, otherwise I would not have bought it. Interesting!!!
    Only the Traverse v2 2-bike rack from Kuat is RV-rated. I looked at the Sherpa long ago and do not recall it ever being RV-rated. Solid rack for sure, but in the 4-bike configuration, it doesn't work for us on the back of the FW.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    This Swagman RV bike rack has served us well for 3.5 years and over 30,000 miles:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We carry two comfort bikes that are not lightweights.

Edit/PS: if the rack still comes with the bumper clamp, throw it away! Nothing should ever be clamped to an RV bumper. We use our rack in a frame-mounted receiver.

Rob
    Hi Rob:

The swagman bike rack looks like something that would work for me. Reading reviews of the rack, a couple people noted issues with clearance between the bike and camper. Did you have any clearance issues with your 310GK-R? Thanks - Greg
    Greg & Jeanne
    2020 F350 Lariat SRW 6.7L Diesel Long-Bed
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the Kuat Sherpa prior to the RV, so, I used it. I do trust it to carry $4500 in bikes but everyone can use their own judgement. The Transfer V2 is less expensive, so, I would go with that one now and I like how you can add a bike position, nice feature to expand. The Transfer has a 60 lbs per bike rating too, which helps if you have an electric bike or bikes.

As for clearances, the inboard bike I have to loosen the handle bars and rotate the bars 30-ish degrees to not bump the RV; then re-tighten for travel. But it is easy, most bikes require a 5mm hex wrench.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2021 RAM 3500 MegaCab SWD Diesel 4x4
    SOLD --> 2020 Solitude 310GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Rocky View Post
    I had the Kuat Sherpa prior to the RV, so, I used it. I do trust it to carry $4500 in bikes but everyone can use their own judgement. The Transfer V2 is less expensive, so, I would go with that one now and I like how you can add a bike position, nice feature to expand. The Transfer has a 60 lbs per bike rating too, which helps if you have an electric bike or bikes.

As for clearances, the inboard bike I have to loosen the handle bars and rotate the bars 30-ish degrees to not bump the RV; then re-tighten for travel. But it is easy, most bikes require a 5mm hex wrench.
    Even though the Transfer v2 3-bike rack was not rated for RV use, I tried to find one and was going to add the 1-bike expansion rack and call it, "good enough". However, there are no Transfer 3-bike racks in stock anywhere. Some websites state they are no longer available, but that may be because a version 3 is forthcoming. I also called Kuat and got the schematics/dimensions for the v2, 3-bike rack but no information as to if and when they may be back in stock.

There is just too little ground clearance when in the 4-bike configuration for us to consider using the Transfer "off label" or any platform rack on our camper and in our location. When returning home, there is left hand turn downhill onto a gravel road from a paved road (that is pitched to the right and directly away from the turn) that results in the camper receiver hitch clearing the road bed by about 3-4". Anything longer than what we have now and we're picking the bike rack and maybe even the receiver off the road. We also have to drive across one of our pastures that has a few dips in it that will damage a platform rack if it doesn't get yanked off in it's entirety. I'll be able to grade a road through our pasture to improve entry and exit from our farm, but VDOT has explained that they are not going to spend $50,000-60,000 to reconfigure that intersection just for little ol' me and our camper.
    Last edited by Fsalmy; 08-03-2021 at 10:19 AM.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^Agree, all that and all things have to be considered, not one solution for everyone.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2021 RAM 3500 MegaCab SWD Diesel 4x4
    SOLD --> 2020 Solitude 310GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spoke again with the owner/engineer/inventor of the Alta Rack. After a lot of research and this latest conversation, I just placed an order for our 4th rack in the last 3 years - the Alta Rack with retention straps, wheel chokes for 2 of our bikes and the XL hitch to gain a little more clearance from the rear wall. It wasn't cheap, but when I add it up, the total of the other 3 racks that kinda worked, didn't work and/or just plain hated (I'm talking about you Let's Go Aero!), was greater than the cost of this rack. The AR does have a lifetime warranty, is expandable to 6 bikes and wheel basket position is adjustable. Plus, as they innovate and improve, you can get new iterations of certain components at no additional cost.

Ali, the owner at AR, suggested that once we get the rack and get it installed and loaded, to take it on a couple of short runs and video the action of the rack. We can either have a chase car video from directly behind, or use our rear view observation camera (VisionWorks) to record from above, or just do both. I'll report back here once we get some first hand experience and maybe post a video or two.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbeard View Post
    We’ve put almost 20,000 miles on our Swagman Dispatch two bike rack, with no issues or concerns. It’s been rock solid. My wife once followed me for 600 miles and observed how stead the Swagman was compared to the other brands that she saw other people using.
    We also recently bought the Swagman dispatch for our Reflection 5th wheel and I monitor it with my rear camera and it is steady as a rock and easy to load and unload the bikes. It is RV approved and pretty reasonably priced (<$400 CAD). I recommend
    2020 Chev Silverado 2500 (6.0L Gas)
    2021 Reflection 303RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    I spoke again with the owner/engineer/inventor of the Alta Rack. After a lot of research and this latest conversation, I just placed an order for our 4th rack in the last 3 years - the Alta Rack with retention straps, wheel chokes for 2 of our bikes and the XL hitch to gain a little more clearance from the rear wall.
    Just wanted to provide an update and some photos. Received and installed the Alta Rack awhile ago. Have used it on two short trips. Impressed with the sturdiness of the rack, easy to load and really protects the bikes and the trailer. It's heavy, though. For carrying 4 adult bikes, including full suspension rides, on the back of the camper, this seems to work quite well vs. a platform rack. Lot's of ground clearance. The rack does not flex or wobble, especially with the ratchet straps attached, but the entire receiver does move slightly when going over bumps or expansion joints. I haven't had a chance to see if I can beef up the receiver to frame attachment points, but will look into that soon. For the ratchet straps, I used beam clamps and stainless steel eye hooks to make wide attachment points. Overall, really pleased with how it works, how it accommodates all of our bikes and how easy it is to load.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AR Rear View.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	36449

Name:	AR Side View.jpg 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	36450

Name:	AR Beam Clamp.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	36451

Name:	AR Vertical AntiWobble.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	36452

Although the tail lights are still visible with the bike rack installed, I did add a 60" tailgate light that fit perfectly on the lower horizontal bar of the rack. It plugs into the 4-way pin on the trailer.

https://www.opt-7.com/redline-triple...-turn-signals/

Name:	Opt-7.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	36454
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    That is a stout rack, but the owner’s manual specifically says not to use it on trailers. I imagine it’s the tilt function that is the issue. Most RV rated racks don’t tilt.
    I have a very nice kuat 2 bike rack and after reading this I called kuat and asked them. They said it’s because the distance from the back of the trailer to the rear tires is much greater then on a car or truck it puts much more stress on the rack welds or hinges. That’s why they sell specific models that are approved for trailers

UPDATE. Kuat has a nice 2 bike rack that is compatible for RV. The Transfer V2. Just a FYI

Steve
    Last edited by Steveo024; 09-17-2021 at 02:04 PM.
    Steve & Kelli
    2017 F250 King Ranch
    2016 Reflection 303rls #7017
    Pullrite 16k superglide
    English Cream Retriever - Tucker
    Golden Doodle - Blaze

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Just wanted to provide an update and some photos. Received and installed the Alta Rack awhile ago. Have used it on two short trips. Impressed with the sturdiness of the rack, easy to load and really protects the bikes and the trailer. It's heavy, though. For carrying 4 adult bikes, including full suspension rides, on the back of the camper, this seems to work quite well vs. a platform rack. Lot's of ground clearance. The rack does not flex or wobble, especially with the ratchet straps attached, but the entire receiver does move slightly when going over bumps or expansion joints. I haven't had a chance to see if I can beef up the receiver to frame attachment points, but will look into that soon. For the ratchet straps, I used beam clamps and stainless steel eye hooks to make wide attachment points. Overall, really pleased with how it works, how it accommodates all of our bikes and how easy it is to load.

Name:	AR Rear View.jpg 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	36449

Name:	AR Side View.jpg 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	36450

Name:	AR Beam Clamp.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	36451

Name:	AR Vertical AntiWobble.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	36452

Although the tail lights are still visible with the bike rack installed, I did add a 60" tailgate light that fit perfectly on the lower horizontal bar of the rack. It plugs into the 4-way pin on the trailer.

https://www.opt-7.com/redline-triple...-turn-signals/

Name:	Opt-7.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	36454
    Hi Fslamy,
    We are picking up our 3rd camper Saturday (31mb) and our first fifth wheel. I have done an extensive amount of research and keep coming back to the Alta 4 or 5 pack. Can you provide an update? Do you have any plans to reinforce the hitch? Just curious if you have any kids bikes too and how they fit like a 20 inch BMX? TIA for any additional info. I am thinking about just doing 3 bikes for now on the Alta and putting the smaller kids bikes in the truck bed in front of the hitch.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast