User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Is your vertical stabilizer securely tightened? I've never had a problem with the internal stabilizer bolt loosening before, but when the vertical bolt head and threaded shank were sheared off, the resulting motion stripped the threads on both the 5/8" internal stabilizer bolt and the stabilizer itself. Maybe re-tapping the internal stabilizer would help? Did you replace the bolt when you added the grade 8 lock washer? I torque that bolt as tight as I can get it - it did come with a grade 8 lock washer. Haven't used a torque wrench, but I do use a half inch drive socket and breaker bar. The only places I have found the correct bolt size (5/8" - 11 coarse) in grade 8 are Napa, Grainger and our local Farmer's Co-Op. Our nearby Lowe's, HD, AutoZone, etc. don't carry it, nor does an old-time hardware store.

Another option is to contact Alta Racks directly. The owner responded directly and was very helpful regarding an installation issue I had.
    Yes, I definitely keep it tight and keep the wrench close to re tighten at long stops or our destination. I am going to give them a call or just order a new stabilizer system myself. I really want this rack to work safely however I am a little concerned the weight of 4 bikes on the end of a 5th wheel may be to much to expect.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nccamper View Post
    I am a little concerned the weight of 4 bikes on the end of a 5th wheel may be to much to expect.
    I'm with you in that thinking. Even with two of our bikes being lightweight carbon fiber frames, the combined weight of the rack and 4 bikes is pushing 275 lbs. The receiver is welded at the ends, but there is no support in the middle. If we stick with the Alta, which is debatable at this point), I think we have to get the receiver attachments reinforced and add some additional support in the middle. Too bad I don't know how to weld.

I was on an Airstream forum the other day (yep, we're considering going there ) and saw several statements that mounting a receiver to the Airstream voids the structural frame warranty. And according to an Airstream dealer (largest one in US, I think) on a youtube video, the same sentiment was expressed - "Airstream does not recommend attaching an undermount receiver to the frame because it was not engineered for the lever force of a bike rack or cargo tray". Not only can I not weld, I'm not an engineer and these statements have not been verified by anyone other than my son who wants us to have a bike rack.

Alta does recommend using a round tube Class 3 receiver welded at 3 points - both ends and in the middle. Apparently the round tube has better torsional flex characteristics (see engineer disclaimer above).
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went with the Swagman bake rack. Several owners have posted this as a suitable carrier and trailer approved. It works great.

I am now looking for a good 2-bike cover. Hope I can find suggestions in these posts.
    2023 Solitude 310GK
    2016 Ford F250 SuperDuty w/Air Suspension Add-on
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Retired Electrical Engineer

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CERRSC View Post
    We went with the Swagman bake rack. Several owners have posted this as a suitable carrier and trailer approved. It works great.

I am now looking for a good 2-bike cover. Hope I can find suggestions in these posts.
    We use this cover from Formosa on our bikes...its heavy duty and it has held up well. Only issue is it faded a little bit from being out in the sun.

https://www.amazon.com/Formosa-Cover...f_B000WENDUS/?
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 07-15-2023 at 03:42 PM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transferred my swagman 2 bike bumper mount rack from the 2008 Komfort TT to the 377MBS. I hear the warnings on the limited strength/construction of the bumper. My early 2019 rig does not have a receiver.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike rack.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	340.7 KB 
ID:	49679

The previous owner used a similar approach and towed across the country with good results, so thinking this particular bumper is solid for the task.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KJ camping.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	49680
    Last edited by BWSTGDS; 02-10-2024 at 11:32 AM.
    2001 F350 SRW CC LB Lariat 7.3, 33" Toyo AT2, Transgo, 6.0 trans cooler, exhaust brake, extended overload spring bumpstops, Bilstein 4600, Hydra/PHP, FORScan, billet 7/7 turbo wheel, Adrenaline HPOP, EBC yellow stuff brake pads
    2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan Brakerite actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    We use this cover from Formosa on our bikes...its heavy duty and it has held up well. Only issue is it faded a little bit from being out in the sun.

I really like how their pics on amazon all show the brake lights completely hidden. It will keep your bike clean, but does it really matter if someone rear ends you when they couldn't tell you were stopping? Hopefully doesn't apply with your RV.
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    I really like how their pics on amazon all show the brake lights completely hidden. It will keep your bike clean, but does it really matter if someone rear ends you when they couldn't tell you were stopping? Hopefully doesn't apply with your RV.
    No sir it doesn't seem to be an issue on the RV. The brake lights are spread out far enough apart that even if the cover was completely solid black you can still see the entire brake lights. The 4 translucent panels on both sides of each end make it even better. Now if someone is going to be an idiot and tailgate my rear end then that's a different story... they would hit me even without the bikes on the RV.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have this cover https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

I have not used it yet on my new trailer, so I don't know about the trailer lights.
    Last edited by reubenray; 02-11-2024 at 05:01 AM.
    Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
    2023 Chevrolet 2500HD LT 4X4
    2024 Grand Design Reflection 296RDST

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post

We use the same cover. It does not interfere with the tail lights and is very durable (have replaced it once or twice in 8-1/2 years which isn't too bad).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swagman makes a 2 bike cover that works fairly well. We have use it for about seven years.
    Paul and Sue
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, GooseBox hitch
    2019 Ram 3500 Cummins CC SB

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast