User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a similar thing happen several years ago down at a private campground near Fulton, Texas. We were towing a 27 foot Salem with our 2500HD with long bed and crew cab. At some point, I needed to back up. I put it in R and started back and never felt anything but the truck wasn't moving. So I pressed the accelerator a little harder. Still no go. I looked over at my wife. "Your are never going to go any further back while that truck is back there."
    Seems I had backed into the bed of another camper. No damage to camper. The other camper was nice about it - "just my company truck, no big deal." I gave him my insurance and notified my agent when I got back to Kerrville.
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 F100 Flareside (project)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reminder John.

Whenever we enter or leave tight roads/RV parks I have my wife watch tail swing anywhere it's going to be close and most times she laughs at me cuz there is "plenty" of room. Once in a while "that was close" … thanks Babe.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite often it can be other campers that park to close to the road or have items there that will make it difficult to get by. Most campers are pretty friendly and willing to help. Patience is your friend. Don't be a in too big of a hurry and try to make it. If you take the time to ask most people would be glad to move something if it's in your way for getting in or out.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We learned the Tail-Swing lesson the first time out with our 376. Had been towing triple axle boat trailer for years, but the rear overhang on the boat wasn't like the 376......so over confidence raised it's head and bit me ......you know where.

This weekend however we put our 376 into a spot that even after I'd done it I thought what the he** was I thinking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FARIA BEACH - 2 03102019.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	18267

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FARIA BEACH - 1 03092019.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	18268
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As some of you may know, I just bought a new Momentum 394 a couple of weeks ago....first time towing a trailer that large and fifth wheel on top of that. I had been worried sick the entire week before we picked it up because of the entrance to my house. Country road pretty narrow, 7 mailboxes on the side of the road where the rear end would swing towards as I made my left turn, and 4 water main boxes on the inside of the turn. And, on top of all that to deal with for a first time 5ver driver. my turn from the hard road into our gravel road not only dropped off about 3-4", but downhill also! Talk about sweating bullets...I was pretty nervous to say the least. So, my neighbor, who also has a camping trailer told me to call him when we were about 10 minutes or so from getting home and he would come up and put another set of eyes on the turn in for me. I had my wife Peggy watch the trailer swing by the mailboxes, Rick watched the bed rail clearance on my truck, and I watched both the front of my truck so that I didn't put it over the sloping down hill and off the side of the road...and I also watched the left trailer tires to make sure I wasn't going to run over the water meter main boxes. Very slow movements, stop and get out and look, move a little more and check with Peggy and Rick. We actually made it in with about 6' clearance from the mailboxes, the bed rails had 3 1/2 - 4", and I kept at least 3 - 4' away from the water meter stuff. Whew....all that worry for naught!

I did have an alternate plan though, if my turn would have been too tight....I could have always driven in from the hard road and across my from yard, but that was more of an emergency plan.
    Last edited by xrated; 03-12-2019 at 08:56 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    I'm just curious, even if you had a spotter, would there have been a way to approach that turn any differently?
    I had the same thought. I was thinking pull through the intersection going straight then back onto the perpendicular road. But you still have the white Jeep Cherokee by the motorhome. It would make it tight on the front of the truck. If you crossed through the intersection keeping tight to the left and then angled to the right you might make it.

Sorry for your troubles John.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm impressed calnca!! Both of those trees lean in towards the trailer are bad enough but that truck is wedged in so tight you need a chainsaw to get it out lol!! Nice job.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^^

Thanks......was a challenge....especially with the F350 DRW with 176" wheel base......the TW doesn't turn very quick/sharp
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    I'm just curious, even if you had a spotter, would there have been a way to approach that turn any differently?
    I've thought about that. Obviously the easiest thing would have been to ask the other party to simply move the Jeep. Then there would not have been an issue (or accident). Having said that, what if the Jeep was an immovable object like a tree? While I was very close to the tree on the right, there may have been enough room to reposition the trailer to split the difference between the (car) and the tree. I really only needed a couple of inches. Otherwise, if it was just too tight, I would have had to back out of the turn and scout out an alternative route (on foot if necessary).

I've been driving heavy duty vehicles pulling all sorts of trailers since my military days, and have had a class A CDL for decades. I believe there are always alternatives. Some may not be fun or it may take an eternity to get situated, but if you got in there, you can get back out. That may even mean backing out the way you came in...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies Guys. Makes me feel a little better knowing others have been there, done that!

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast