User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many use the turning point feature?

We just purchased a 290BH & a small part of the decision was based on the fact that it has the turning point pin box since we have a 6.75’ bed. During my research for a hitch I decided on the Blue Ox slider since it can be removed easily due to breaking it down into multiple pieces plus it’s supposed to ride great due to the internal springs. Now that I’ve put the deal together at the dealership & had them include the hitch as a part of the deal I finally read the fine print on the part# 7200 version that mounts on the ISR rails, it states that it can’t be used with any pin box that rotates. I saw the warning on the part# 6200 that mounts to a gooseball so I specifically went with the ISR version ASSUMING that it would be ok. To be sure I called Blue Ox & unfortunately it can not be used with the turning point. I neglected to ask them if it’s still safe to use as long as I keep the turning point feature locked out so I will have to call back tomorrow before I assume anything else.

I was pretty excited thinking that I could try to turning point vs using a slider to see which I prefer but now I’m not sure if I can keep the Blue Ox. So at this point I’m thinking I either have to make a decision to go with another hitch or if it’s still possible use the Blue Ox without the turning point feature. How many who purchase a 150 Series are using the turning point? I’m not sure where to go from here so any thoughts are appreciated.
    2019 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 6.2L/3.73 gearing
    2015 Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7L - previous
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the turning point feature and like it very much. We have a standard 5th wheel hitch. Key is to make sure the wedge fits tightly to the shoulders of the hitch.

I haven't seen the Blue Ox, so can't comment with any certainty as to how that hitch will work/not work with the turning point. However, I would expect that if you lock out the turning point feature, it should work just fine. I'm sure someone else can provide more info on that hitch.
    Mike, Linda, and Shady (terrier mix rescue)

Reflection 150 230 RL with free standing dinette (swapped location of the dinette and the recliners)
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali
    B&W Companion Hitch and Turning Point Pin Box locked out

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishwater View Post
    We just purchased a 290BH & a small part of the decision was based on the fact that it has the turning point pin box since we have a 6.75’ bed. During my research for a hitch I decided on the Blue Ox slider since it can be removed easily due to breaking it down into multiple pieces plus it’s supposed to ride great due to the internal springs. Now that I’ve put the deal together at the dealership & had them include the hitch as a part of the deal I finally read the fine print on the part# 7200 version that mounts on the ISR rails, it states that it can’t be used with any pin box that rotates. I saw the warning on the part# 6200 that mounts to a gooseball so I specifically went with the ISR version ASSUMING that it would be ok. To be sure I called Blue Ox & unfortunately it can not be used with the turning point. I neglected to ask them if it’s still safe to use as long as I keep the turning point feature locked out so I will have to call back tomorrow before I assume anything else.

I was pretty excited thinking that I could try to turning point vs using a slider to see which I prefer but now I’m not sure if I can keep the Blue Ox. So at this point I’m thinking I either have to make a decision to go with another hitch or if it’s still possible use the Blue Ox without the turning point feature. How many who purchase a 150 Series are using the turning point? I’m not sure where to go from here so any thoughts are appreciated.
    My question is why do you think you need it?

I have towed our Reflection with a turning point hitch (locked out) for 7,000 miles across 10 states and have never needed to turn that sharp. I have a slider hitch and the 6.75 short bed Super Duty. I’ve never used the slider.

I think a lot of people that are new to towing think (like I did) they’ll need to turn that sharp backing in, at some point.

I’ve only ever observed the really long trailers needing that kind of ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post

I have towed our Reflection with a turning point hitch (locked out) for 7,000 miles across 10 states and have never needed to turn that sharp. I have a slider hitch and the 6.75 short bed Super Duty. I’ve never used the slider.

I think a lot of people that are new to towing think (like I did) they’ll need to turn that sharp backing in, at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don’t know whether I need it or not since this is my first fifth wheel but it seems like a nice feature. The only con I’ve read is that you have to back straight in to hitch up which shouldn’t be an issue most of the time. I did see a couple of reports about a gap in the plate indicating possible wear but nothing conclusive. Other than that it seems convenient to not have to worry about sliding the hitch or contacting the truck.
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Turning point option, because if you get into tight spots or gas stations or need to make u turns you have extra manuverabilty, plus you don't have to worry about hitting the cab
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do use it, the wedge is the key, make sure it does not have too much play, the lippert wedge it too loose with the curt A16 HITCH, so we used the curt wedge
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To those of you towing with the turning point & the proper wedge do you notice any stability or sway issues? I’m upgrading to a fifth wheel from a 37’ travel trailer to gain stability, I’d hate to not get the maximum benefit due to the pivot point being behind the axle?
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post

I totally agree. Been towing 5ers for 23 years with a short box and slider hitch. I only slid that puppy once in 23 years lol. ymmv
    Neil and Sheila
    2018 Reflection 303RLS - 2nd A/C
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Double Cab, Short Box

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishwater View Post
    To those of you towing with the turning point & the proper wedge do you notice any stability or sway issues? I’m upgrading to a fifth wheel from a 37’ travel trailer to gain stability, I’d hate to not get the maximum benefit due to the pivot point being behind the axle?
    If I bought a unit with the turning point, I’d insist they yank it and put in the conventional pin box. The more stuff you have going on, the more stuff that can fail. It’s just not necessary. jmho...
    Neil and Sheila
    2018 Reflection 303RLS - 2nd A/C
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Double Cab, Short Box

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the 230RL it tows great, huge difference coming from a travel trailer. And that was with an F150. No sway at all
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast