Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In need of comfy bed

We are just getting ready to embark on full time living in our brand new Grand Design Reflection 5th wheel. We purchased a memory foam topper for our bed. We did this in our previous travel trailer and it made the bed very comfy. This time it has not done the trick. The topper is 4". Was thinking of adding another topper.

Has anybody done this or have any suggestions?

Lynda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tried a topper on the factory mattress. Worked for a bit but then it just kept getting worse and worse. I would put the money towards a new decent mattress myself.
    Chris and Karen - currently on the coast of the Olympic Peninsula

Roaming the country full time with our 2018 312BHTS Reflection behind a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins and two preschoolers who are highly addicted to camping.

Follow our adventures @brownsignjunkies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion. We've thought about that but we are concerned about the weight of a new mattress may put us over and we've heard mattresses are extremely hard to get in the rig. Some people have actually cut them in half in order to get them in the rig. Not wanting to take that on right now.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought an 8” memory foam mattress for about $200 at WalMart. We’ve been full time for about a year and the mattress is still comfy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndayoda View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. We've thought about that but we are concerned about the weight of a new mattress may put us over and we've heard mattresses are extremely hard to get in the rig. Some people have actually cut them in half in order to get them in the rig. Not wanting to take that on right now.
    There was no way we were able to sleep on the factory mattress so we bought a hybrid (springs and foam) mattress that added 100# to or 2930RL. We had it delivered and those 2 young guys got it to where it needed to be. Sleeping is no longer a problem and the added weight shouldn't be either for our situation. Good Luck and Happy Camping.
    Fred and Paula
    2019 Solitude S Class 2930RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    Nebraska (Currently)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were concerned about that too.... we are going to replace the sleeper sofa (which is terribly heavy!) with a normal sofa. This should make weight room for a normal mattress.
    We aren't inclined to invite sleepovers.... kids are old enough.. they can get a room nearby if they visit us.
    2019 Ford F350 Diesel Dually
    2021 Grand Design Solitude 310GKR
    1 Chocolate Lab, 1 Puggle
    We're like kids, but with credit cards and truck keys!

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizardqing View Post
    We tried a topper on the factory mattress. Worked for a bit but then it just kept getting worse and worse. I would put the money towards a new decent mattress myself.
    X2^^. Adding toppers is just stacking money on top of a crappy mattress. We replaced ours with a Tuft & Needle and absolutely love it. Others have done everything from Sleep Number mattresses to "you name it."

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    X2^^. Adding toppers is just stacking money on top of a crappy mattress. We replaced ours with a Tuft & Needle and absolutely love it. Others have done everything from Sleep Number mattresses to "you name it."

Rob
    I believe 'you name it" is a polite term for what people call their original mattresses!
    Duane, Mary Jo, and Milo the dog = Full Timers.
    2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 6.7 psd
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

Rob
    Rob,
    What is the weight of the tuft & Needle mattress? How does it work with raising the bed for access to the storage area underneath? Our OEM mattress and memory foam topper has worked well for three seasons. But it's no longer is as comfortable.
    Jim
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Rob,
    What is the weight of the tuft & Needle mattress? How does it work with raising the bed for access to the storage area underneath? Our OEM mattress and memory foam topper has worked well for three seasons. But it's no longer is as comfortable.
    Jim
    The Tuft & Needle queen has a shipping weight of 72 lbs. I would guess that less than 10 lbs. of that is box and plastic wrapping. The stock struts aren't quite strong enough to hold it up when we've got our heavy comforter on the bed... but I haven't bothered to replace the struts. I either rummage through the stuff under there with one hand or get my wife to hold the bed up for me (or vice versa). It's the best bed I've slept on in my 66 years (over 30 of those with back problems). When we buy a house again, you can guess what's going to be in the MBR in the house.

One note, though: with any foam mattress you'll need to figure out a way to provide air circulation between the mattress and the plywood platform to prevent moisture accumulation and mildew. There are several options - we chose this option:

https://www.mattressinsider.com/matt...revention.html

There are dry mat tiles designed for boats. They're even pricier than what we used.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast