User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Automatic Generator start with magnum inverter

I hate to admit this but I'm beaten. I have searched and bookmarked threads on this subject and now I can't find the information I saved. .

I purchased a 2019 GD Momentum 351M. I want the dealer to install solar panels, extra batteries and the magnum inverter/converter. I would like it to automatically turn on the generator when the cell voltages drop to a set point. I would also, I saw this on one of the threads, like the generator to come on so that the air conditioner will turn on when it senses an upper temperature limit in the rig.

The dealer is recommending a packaged system by Go Power, I believe. I don't believe it has the automatic generator start up function or temperature sensor. He also is struggling to come up with a simple install for the devices I would like to use.

Would someone direct me to the thread with the magnum inverter installation along with solar panels, batteries and the automatic generator start up option?

Thanks.
    Wayne
    2019 Grand Design Momentum 351M
    2018 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW CC 8 ft bed, B&W Companion hitch
    2018 Harley Davidson Roadglide Ultra
    2019 KTM 790 Adventure

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Brian. It figures. I skipped that because I didn't think it would go into the installation. That'll learn me!
    2019 KTM 790 Adventure

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if this is relevant to what you're trying to do or not, but on my '19 381M (October '18 build date) there is an autostart option for the generator on my One Control Panel. Choose Generator, then Settings on the lower left and it brings up an autostart menu. There, I can program the generator to come on if the battery voltage falls below a voltage you can chose from the pulldown menu. You can also chose autostart when needed by A/C.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190318_134206_resized (002).jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	18451

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190318_134244_resized (002).jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	18452

John

Edited to add: I have not played with this option yet so I don't have first hand knowledge of how well it works...
    Last edited by LV Naturist; 03-18-2019 at 02:58 PM.
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came across this in a couple of posts and haven't checked it yet. Thanks for the reminder. I will embarrass myself by admitting I have not taken the time to "read the manual". I'm surprised the dealer hasn't mentioned this as an option. I will be living in the RV by early April and will have the time to really understand what the rig be programmed to do. Right now I'm scrambling to down size as I have sold the house.

Thanks again John.
    2019 KTM 790 Adventure

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also was looking to install an auto gen start. Because of this conversation, I took a look at the One Control panel and low and behold, my 351M already has this function. Really surprised the dealer never said a word about this option during our walk thru. I don't remember my manual saying anything about it as well. Great info from this site !!!! Thanks
    2020 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
    2018 351M Momentum Toy Hauler
    2015 Can Am Turbo Maverick - sold
    2019 Can Am X3 XRS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting ready to our 2018 351M out on it first long duration trip, 30 days (long to me). Need some schooling on generator operations, to date have never even put gas in the fuel tank. Any tricks or concerns that I need to be aware of before starting it for the first time? Any restrictions on number of AC supported? Any issues with traveling with fuel on board? Understand I need to run the generator weekly to prevent the cab for fouling due to gas. Any guidance, lessons learned in using the generator would be helpful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Load shedding is a wonderful feature, run the a/c’s without any worry.

I always use seafoam to keep fuel fresh and prevent gunk in the carbs. Still on the same tank of gas a year later and starts right up. I use a small funnel to get the contents of the bottle in the tank fill. 1&1/2 bottles for each tank, then fill with gas.

Be careful not to try to fill the tanks to 100% full. I got some expansion and leaking out the tank vents. Our tanks fwd/aft are 30 gals each. Next time I’ll probably limit it to 26 gals.

The fwd tank feeds the gen directly, the gauge for that tank is on the one control panel. The aft tank is drained by the nozzle and electric pump. The gauge in the compartment only reads what’s in that tank. In my case it did not register anything until about 10 gals were pumped in.

We run the gen every time we pull into a campsite. Usually for 30 mins while I round up my assistant (5year old) and have him help me set up the outside. Let’s the ladies get a start on the inside.

////chile

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    SW of ATL
    2018 F350 CC DRW
    2019 Momentum 394M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some good information here. I am in the process of specking out and ordering a 2021 397TH with a residential fridge option. I am wondering if my unit will come with the auto gen start when battery voltage drops to a certain point or if I set it up for running the A/C with auto temp start. Any information from people who use these functions would be great. I would also like to know if you can run the auto start to keep the battery charged while driving to run the R-fridge.
    2018 Ram CC,LB DRW Longhorn 6.7, AISIN, 4.10s

2021 Momentum 397TH-R

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Akfiredog377 View Post
    Some good information here. I am in the process of specking out and ordering a 2021 397TH with a residential fridge option. I am wondering if my unit will come with the auto gen start when battery voltage drops to a certain point or if I set it up for running the A/C with auto temp start. Any information from people who use these functions would be great. I would also like to know if you can run the auto start to keep the battery charged while driving to run the R-fridge.
    It should come with the autostart option. It's part of OneControl, I don't have a residential fridge on my 351M (2020) and I have the genny autostart. That said, I'm not very happy with it, seems to be very touchy and doesn't work with the level of reliability that I want. I put in another autostart that just starts the gen if power shore power is lost. That's fine for me, I want those AC's running (pets in the rig) if power is lost, not for OneControl to decide the batteries are too low and kick it on. Fuel is cheap, and the OneControl autostart just has been too failure prone for me. No power, start genny. That's what I wanted (and now have). I also just run my genny most/all of the time when driving. Reference "fuel is cheap". Uses a few gallons of gas, but keeps the rig cool when towing for arrival and gets the genny some exercise. Now, if I was full time, or doing a lot more camping, perhaps I'd care more about burning gasoline, but genny fuel doesn't even register on the list of expenses for camping, it's a rounding error.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast