Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kitchen sink drain nut split

I know I have ran across this issue on the forum, but could not find the posts when they applied to me. The nut connecting the p-trap to the sink drain split. What is the best fix. Just happened today on my 2019 imagine 2800bh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 F100 Flareside (project)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by f100owner View Post
    I know I have ran across this issue on the forum, but could not find the posts when they applied to me. The nut connecting the p-trap to the sink drain split. What is the best fix. Just happened today on my 2019 imagine 2800bh.
    Hi f100owner,

The "good news" (if there is good news in this) is that these are standard residential plumbing parts. There does not look to be enough pipe length to cut into this until you get back past the trap. You might be able to find a new trap with the same thread as the fitting to the left in your picture. I would undo this threaded connection and the split one at the sink drain and take this assembly to Home Depot or similar on a search for replacement pieces.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi f100owner

Our 2019 2400bh has the exact same issue. We were out camping and suddenly found a bunch of water in our cutlery tray. If this was addressed, do you mind sharing how?

Thanks!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same thing happened to me last week. My solution = Went to a hardware store purchased the nut. Heated the nut a little with a hair dryer. Pushed the nut over the original flange. it will go but you will need to have it on a solid surface and use brut force. I used the tailgate of my truck. Don't heat nut to the point of deforming it. I believe this to be a permanent fix for this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same thing for my 21BHE, although the nut completely failed. This was good, as it showed that the p-trap was not installed to the horizontal pipe correctly, and did not have enough vertical pipe for a proper connection. From the moment it was glued up and screwed together it was under stress and waiting to fail. Lowes carries abs pipe fittings and pipes, a few bucks and some glue and your done. I did have to go to a more permanent mount as I couldn't source a sink fitting like GD used. Lowes carried a screw on abs fitting that I installed on the sink strainer and glued it up to the p-trap. If I ever need to replace the strainer, I'll just replace the abs piping also.

Also, pvc and abs can be mixed together, just don't use primer on abs, it will dissolve it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We called Grand Design and they sent us a new p-trap, sink adapter, and a section of pipe to join things together. They also sent us a p-trap for the bathroom sink, I guess they bundle those parts together? I don't need it right now, but that may come in handy one day. Anyways we plan to rebuild the setup they had, just using a different sink adapter that doesn't have that joint on the nut. Hopewell it's a little stronger being a single piece of ABS for the nut. We asked a plumbing shop for advice, and their suggestion was to actually use a flexible adaptable between the p-trap and the threads on the sink. They figure the flexibility would hold up better while traveling. That might be attempt two if the replacement parts fail...