User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clicking Sound....

We just bought a new 2018 Momentum 394 a couple of weeks ago and I've been busy doing some mods to it while parked in the back yard/garage area. I keep it plugged into my 50A shore power. As it sits, it is disconnected from my truck, it is level and all 6 feet are down...just like it would be at a camping except the slides are all in. This past weekend while adding a pair of Trojan 6 volt batteries, then installing my TPMS System and wiring up the booster, I noticed a clicking sound that seems to be coming from the hydraulic pump and solenoid area. There is no set time between clicks, it just seems to do it randomly. I'll admit, it's bugging me because I don't know what's going on or why.

Does anyone have any insight as to what may be going on?

PS......it obviously was not clicking during the time I had the original battery disconnected and when I got the Trojans installed and hooked up. The clicking sound were present before the battery swap too, so nothing going on battery swap related.
    Last edited by xrated; 03-18-2019 at 11:46 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the search function and search by post for "stiction" for a read up of this issue. Ultimately you'll want to add some anti-stiction fluid to your hydraulic reservoir.

Hopefully that's it and not an electric gremlin somewhere.

Other thing that comes to mind is possibly the auto resetting CB that goes to the hydraulic pump.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 03-18-2019 at 01:01 PM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like a solenoid actuating....something electrical clicking. Wouldn't the stiction sound be related to the actual movement of the jacks or landing gears and only when they are moving? The trailer is sitting in the same spot as the day I brought it home, hitched it, then did an auto level.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stiction is related to the jacks, not the pump, but it was the first thing that came to mind when I read your post. The stiction issue is present when the jacks are in the extended position and stationary, I did have this occur on my Momentum and it seemed to occur more in colder weather, but when it did happen, it was when the camper was level and there was no specific frequency it would make the noise.

If you think it's a solenoid type sound, you should probably start troubleshooting the pump area/valve manifold. Any chance your fluid level is low? Low fluid has been known to cause weird problems. You would need the truck hooked up with all slides in and jacks retracted to properly check fluid level.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    We just bought a new 2018 Momentum 394 a couple of weeks ago and I've been busy doing some mods to it while parked in the back yard/garage area. I keep it plugged into my 50A shore power. As it sits, it is disconnected from my truck, it is level and all 6 feet are down...just like it would be at a camping except the slides are all in. This past weekend while adding a pair of Trojan 6 volt batteries, then installing my TPMS System and wiring up the booster, I noticed a clicking sound that seems to be coming from the hydraulic pump and solenoid area. There is no set time between clicks, it just seems to do it randomly. I'll admit, it's bugging me because I don't know what's going on or why.

Does anyone have any insight as to what may be going on?

PS......it obviously was not clicking during the time I had the original battery disconnected and when I got the Trojans installed and hooked up. The clicking sound were present before the battery swap too, so nothing going on battery swap related.
    I have no idea why it is clicking. I know you're a smart guy and probably know all this...but here's my .02 anyway.

If I was trying to isolate it based on your description I'd make the assumption the issue is related to power.

Safety first!

ISOLATE AC OR DC
    1. Does it click when disconnected from shore power?

CLICKING STOPS WITH AC REMOVED
    a. If it does not click with AC removed, plug the AC cord back in (safely, please!) and turn off the BATTERY DISCONNECT (remove the key) to eliminate DC-powered components powered through the converter (if any).

If the trailer still clicks with AC provided to the trailer with the BATTERY DISCONNECT off, then I'd guess it is an AC-related component causing the sound. If it's an AC component isolating should be easy--use the cb panel breakers to isolate the circuit.

CLICKING CONTINUES WITH AC REMOVED
    b. If the trailer continues to click with AC removed my assumption is the electrical sound is from a 12V powered component. Go to 2.

ISOLATE 12V COMPONENT
    2. Leave the AC cord disconnected from the trailer. Turn off the BATTERY DISCONNECT (key removed). Does the trailer still click?

a. If yes (clicks with BATTERY DISCONNECT off) the clicking component is powered on the "always on" circuit (emergency brakes, smoke alarms, etc.). I do not know all of these components on that circuit for your rig.

b. If the trailer does NOT click with the BATTERY DISCONNECT off (key removed), go to 3.

ISOLATE DC COMPONENT POWERED AFTER BATTERY DISCONNECT
    3. On the main power panel (assuming it is similar to my 315's) there are a series of DC circuit fuses. I'd pull 1/2 of them (BATTERY DISCONNECT off). Turn on the BATTERY DISCONNECT (key installed). If the trailer still clicks, turn the BATTERY DISCONNECT off again and pull 1/2 of the remaining fuses. Continue this process until you isolate the circuit with the offending component.

Again, you're probably 10 steps ahead of me...hope this helps at least a little. And please, if anyone spots a goof in this troubleshooting or has a suggestion don't hesitate to jump in.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember looking at the fluid level in the tank after we got everything hooked up, slides retracted, and all jacks and landing gear up....at the dealership the day we bought it. I just came in from looking at all six of the jacks/landing gear cylinders and there is no sign of any leakage. I know that doesn't cover all the bases because there are hyd. lines concealed that I cannot see, but this weekend, I'll hook the truck back up and hitch up completely and check it again. I'll probably spend some time with a cup of coffee and my favorite vape juice (Cuban Cigar by the way) and stand at the opening for the hyd. pump and solenoids and try to catch it clicking. It could be a couple of cups jobs....who knows. And besides, it's easier than actually working!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you need to put some more quarters in?

Brian

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine did the same thing. Every once in a while while parked and leveled, I'd hear a click. I too thought it was electrical, maybe one of the breakers clicking. Did some research and found the stiction description. Followed the directions here and removed a quart of the hydraulic fluid and added a quart of the CAT additive. No more clicking since, so that must have been my issue. Another issue with the system you are likely to encounter is the 50A breaker they use for the leveling system. They get weak over time and will start having issues. Happens to most all of us. Do yourself a favor and get the 80 amp before it becomes an issue. You can search that fix here as well.
    John and Denise; Houma, LA
    2017 Momentum 395M
    2016 Chevrolet K3500 DRW Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was sitting outside a friends 5ver today and heard the clicking noise. He too said it need some additive as it was the jacks. You could here it from different jacks. Nothing moved, just something like a ticking noise as the sun began to rise higher at mid morning heating things up. And he said that some CAT additive would cure it, he just hadn't added any - yet.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jneubig View Post
    Mine did the same thing. Every once in a while while parked and leveled, I'd hear a click. I too thought it was electrical, maybe one of the breakers clicking. Did some research and found the stiction description. Followed the directions here and removed a quart of the hydraulic fluid and added a quart of the CAT additive. No more clicking since, so that must have been my issue. Another issue with the system you are likely to encounter is the 50A breaker they use for the leveling system. They get weak over time and will start having issues. Happens to most all of us. Do yourself a favor and get the 80 amp before it becomes an issue. You can search that fix here as well.
    I'm camping in the driveway in our new Solitude tonight. It's doing hydraulic clicking as things cool down. It didn't happen with the Momentum. I did put the 80 amp breaker in the Momentum as soon as I heard about the fix. Worked great with no studdering of the hydraulic.

What year did Grand Design finally start putting the 80 amp breaker in? KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast