User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand its not best practice and don't plan on ever doing it. What I meant is if it causes possible damage to slides why to dealers do it? Slides could be out for months on an un level trailer. Are our trailers getting stressed before we even get them?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecat View Post
    I understand its not best practice and don't plan on ever doing it. What I meant is if it causes possible damage to slides why to dealers do it? Slides could be out for months on an un level trailer. Are our trailers getting stressed before we even get them?
    Good point. I think trailers on a dealers lot, while maybe not perfectly level are, generally, at least rough level, if that makes sense. I think “close” to level is probably good enough...as long as it’s close, or eyeball level..... when it’s CLEARLY unlevel either front to back or side to side is when problems can be introduced.
    Don and Anita
    Oklahoma
    2015 RAM 2500 Cummins Diesel Laramie Edition
    2017 Reflection 337
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch/B&W Companion...depending on weight

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecat View Post
    ...What I meant is if it causes possible damage to slides why to dealers do it? Slides could be out for months on an un level trailer.
    I suspect there are several reasons. First, few dealers will treat their RV's like an owner would. Also, it takes time to auto level an RV. Time is money. Dealers tend to move RV's around the lot as units are sold. This means the staff would have to retract the legs prior to moving then re-initiate the auto level process. Finally, I would guess most RV lots are pretty level so there likely isn't a problem running the slides out to being with.

I think if any damage were to occur from operating the slides on an uneven surface, it would happen when the slides are being operated, not while the RV is stored for extended periods.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I suspect there are several reasons. First, few dealers will treat their RV's like an owner would. Also, it takes time to auto level an RV. Time is money. Dealers tend to move RV's around the lot as units are sold. This means the staff would have to retract the legs prior to moving then re-initiate the auto level process. Finally, I would guess most RV lots are pretty level so there likely isn't a problem running the slides out to being with.

I think if any damage were to occur from operating the slides on an uneven surface, it would happen when the slides are being operated, not while the RV is stored for extended periods.

Yes time is money for the dealership. I wonder how much damage is done to trailers that are moved with slides out. I spent a lot of time looking at trailers in lots before we ordered our 2020 Reflection 337. I was at one dealership in the south that was moving trailers around with a fork lift, slides open, front legs and steps down. What was concerning was that it was a rough, rutted gravel/mud lot. As I watched the trailers bounce across the rough ground with the slides out it occured to me that ordering a trailer and taking delivery as soon after arrival was a good idea to reduce possible damage while at the dealership.
    Last edited by J&J___; 02-24-2020 at 08:46 PM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When questions like this come up, my mechanical brain kicks in. Where are the loads and what is actually happening?

If there is twist (which should never happen with auto leveling but that's another story) slide operation is definitely a bad idea. A little bit left or right, and there is really no change in how the slide operates. Nose high or nose low would put side loads on the slide rails and some twist in the slide room. Not something I would do as a normal practice but less than two degrees up or down is not the end of the world.

All that being said, if I stop on the side of the road, and I need access, I'll move a slide a little bit if level is not too crazy. But if I'm parked and setting up, there is no reason to open the slides before everything is completely level and stable.

As far as how the dealers do things... All I need to say is that there are some that do well and others that don't. None of them will own it for the long term, so... You know.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unhook ... level ... mats out ... adjust solid steps ... Cindy sets up inside slides out .. I do power .. then water ... then bleed air water lines ... then hot water heater ... then A/C ... unload and set up grill/stove/chairs/tables and stuff ... many times I do sewer next day ... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    When questions like this come up, my mechanical brain kicks in.
    Where did you get a mechanical brain?
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
    Where did you get a mechanical brain?
    Ordered from Amazon. Got it the next day 😁

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    Ordered from Amazon. Got it the next day ��
    You really can get anything on Amazon!!!
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we park, get it close to level side to side with lego's as needed just like my other trailers without auto level, then unhook and auto level. after level she expands our mini apartment into a home, we get out our chairs etc. When we are traveling and stop for lunch or the night, as long as i am fully stopped and close to level, we do put slides out if needed to get stuff, eat or sleep and put them in and move on. we do NOT put then in or out when moving and never move anything with them out. We have never had an issue.
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12