User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Recall on Bolt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rydersmom

Recall on Bolt

Has anyone received a recall letter or call regarding a bolt that needs to be replaced? If so, have you had yours replaced? Did it take long? We have a very long drive to get to a dealer that can replace the bolt and are somewhat nervous about driving it interstate to get there.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call Customer Support team at (574) 825-9679 to get the full story. If a bolt needs to be replaced, can it be done at a local shop or by yourself.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any clue where this bolt resides? I'm on the road, and will be home on Monday. I'd sure like to make it home before having to perform another repair.

Rydersmom
    The letter we received indicated: On certain fifth-wheel travel trailers, bolts connecting the axle springs to the frame and/or spring shackles could shear. This could affect vehicle handling and increase the risk of a crash causing injury and/or damage to property. Correction: Dealers will install redesigned bolts

Tallyhoho1
    I also received the recall notice called dealership yesterday ...sevice department wanted me to tow trialier to them and drop it off then they would contact GD and order bolts....which would have me driving back and forth asked if they could just order bolts and call me...the notice say only take a hour to change them...and I could set up a service appointment to replace them....service said had to contact GD to see if they would do that....what strange is the dealership is close to manurfacturer dealership is in Indiana ....they had said for me to contact GD and see if there was a local repair that could come to me at home to fix it

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being from the "Old School", one of the first things I looked at on my Reflection 303, after the initial pull from the dealer to home, was axle bolts and nuts. I found two nuts were not torqued properly (per size spec) and none of the bolts were double-nutted. Here's where the old school lessons learned came in handy. I purchased appropriate nuts and double-nutted each bolt thus making it highly unlikely a nut will back-up leaving the axle loose. It may be rare, but it has happened, and for 30 cents/nut it seems like cheap insurance to me.

This is NOT limited to GD RV's, probably no mfg double-nuts their axle bolts these days. It just makes me feel good. (Your mileage may vary.)
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one of these bolts break on me today when I was coming home from our last trip of the season. I noticed that my trailer was 'dog tracking' and when I got home I could see the rear axle looking like it was twisted on the drivers side, So I went to the passenger side and the rear tire was touching the front tire, and when I looked under the trailer I saw the bolt missing and the spring was sitting on the frame, the only damage was the spring shackle was bent. I put a new bolt in for now, but will be headed to the dealer for replacement and an alignment.
    Korey SE WI
    2014 Denali 3500HD LML DRW 4wd FS Airbags 20k Reese
    2014 Momentum 385TH #1396
    2013 Manitou SES VP 150hp Mercury 4 stroke
    Volunteer Firefighter Since 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had the recall letter and have the RV in the dealer now for other jobs so ask them to fit the new set of bolts, sent a email to GD and they sent replacements over night to the dealer. The letter said if the RV is used when you had a heavy load plus on uneven road this may lead to the bolts to fail!

Would not take the chance on this as we have a trip to do next week and will have a full load on, have to say this is the first re call so far and had more on the Raptor in the first year.

Tony
    Tony & Hilary Self
    2014 Momentum 385TH #290
    2015 Ford F450 with B&W Companion ,Transfer Flow 57 G Midship and 40 G Toolbox tanks
    Extra load springs