User Tag List

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richard Petty Drivers Training?

Anybody ever taken the course and driven one of their cars around a track?
    I had the opportunity in 2002 when I was in Orlando for something else. Had to go through an interview and training before they would let you drive by yourself on the track. Even then they put you behind a rabbit car with a professional driver to follow. Steve Bok was my instructor and a real good guy.

Orlando is a short track but I gotta tell you diving into the corners at 120-130 mph and then coming out of the corner and sliding up the track next to the wall will get your attention!
    It's actually harder to drive the car slow as it naturally wants to turn left. I was used to drag racing at NHRA tracks in the sportsman bracket with my 66 Dodge Charger and the training I received circle track style came in handy in my subsequent straight line style. My Charger was a 13 second car in the quarter.

My god, it was the thrill of a lifetime to drive a circle track in a Bush car. My fastest average lap 124.28 mph and lap time 42.72 seconds. I only had 8 laps and used 3 to get use to the car. My forth lap I was 12 inches behind the rabbit at 130 mph in the straights, never touched the brake pedal just got use to easing up on the accelerator pedal for the curves.

After my drive I sat and talked with the professional drivers. What a great bunch of guys! While we were talking, a guy celebrating his birthday went on a passenger ride along with a professional driver. After three laps they came in to the pits and it took nearly all of us to get the guy out of the car he was so scarred.

I guess my racing days gave me an appreciation for driving fast responsibly and yet cautiously, even now when pulling our Solitude.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, doncha ever get the urge to drift that Solitude up next to a Jersey barrier occasionally, just to see if you can?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Steve, doncha ever get the urge to drift that Solitude up next to a Jersey barrier occasionally, just to see if you can?
    HAHA! LoL! I kinda did that not too long ago going through construction with concrete barriers in Houston, with a semi along side of me. Gotta tell you it puckered a little! Oh, Oh, Oh! Backed off and let him go, gave him all the room I could, gotta glimpse in the right mirror and was darn close!
    I had a good laugh at my daughter-in-law's expense. On the interchange between the Sam Houston tollway and I10 you're up there about the 4th level flyway, my daughter-in-law hid her eyes, she had never been up that high on an interchange before.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Anybody ever taken the course and driven one of their cars around a track?
    I had the opportunity in 2002 when I was in Orlando for something else. Had to go through an interview and training before they would let you drive by yourself on the track. Even then they put you behind a rabbit car with a professional driver to follow. Steve Bok was my instructor and a real good guy.

Orlando is a short track but I gotta tell you diving into the corners at 120-130 mph and then coming out of the corner and sliding up the track next to the wall will get your attention!
    It's actually harder to drive the car slow as it naturally wants to turn left. I was used to drag racing at NHRA tracks in the sportsman bracket with my 66 Dodge Charger and the training I received circle track style came in handy in my subsequent straight line style. My Charger was a 13 second car in the quarter.

My god, it was the thrill of a lifetime to drive a circle track in a Bush car. My fastest average lap 124.28 mph and lap time 42.72 seconds. I only had 8 laps and used 3 to get use to the car. My forth lap I was 12 inches behind the rabbit at 130 mph in the straights, never touched the brake pedal just got use to easing up on the accelerator pedal for the curves.

After my drive I sat and talked with the professional drivers. What a great bunch of guys! While we were talking, a guy celebrating his birthday went on a passenger ride along with a professional driver. After three laps they came in to the pits and it took nearly all of us to get the guy out of the car he was so scarred.

I guess my racing days gave me an appreciation for driving fast responsibly and yet cautiously, even now when pulling our Solitude.
    I drive high performance cars (and some other types) off and on for work and when done safely there is nothing like it. You know your well acclimated when 150 mph is a comfortable drive. Most recent was the Ford Raptor at just under 110 mph.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did it about 15 years ago at Atlanta Motor Speedway

What an awesome experience.. even if it was with a rabbit car.

I logged the fastest time that day. Rabbit driver was waiving me off nearly the entire time, but I figured this was my only chance, so I just kept the pedal to the metal.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only did the ride-along at the Las Vegas track back in 2011, but what a blast that was! Love the corners and the speed, had a grin plastered to my face for days. Would love to do the driving experience one day, or maybe the Bondurant Driving course.
    Mike & Kari Hutchison
    Victoria, BC
    2019 Imagine 2600RB
    2018 GMC Sierra SLE