13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	onan5500qd.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	18647 Here is my setup.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice setup! Not really comparable to the more compact units they throw in RVs though typically is it? Is that an air cooled or liquid cooled unit? I like the idea of feeding it from the trucks diesel supply, makes sense and keeps it and the weight out of the trailer.

So folks with an S-Class/Solitude have not had any issue swapping out the factory 30# tanks for 40s? That is something I am very interested in doing as myself. I can keep the 30s as backups then (I assume they would fit upright in the passthrough? Down the road I would love to get solar but just pricing out batteries and inverters kept that from getting spousal approval for the time being.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you plan to dry camp for an extended time propane is a major pain. Three days in the woods with 50% AC and you are out of propane. Try to find propane at these remote areas? I’m trying to figure out gas tank placement in my rig.
    Jerry & Jeanine
    2016 Ram 3500 MegaCab Diesel
    2014 Reflection 293RES (sold)
    2020 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do want to clarify something about gasoline generators. You can mitigate the storage issues by using ethanol-free fuel. It does not have the issues that fuel with ethanol has. You can additionally treat it with something like Seafoam for really extended storage. We have 30+ gallons on board in our Momentum (usually closer to 60), and I've never had an issue starting or running the generator. It's available just about everywhere now. Pure-gas.org can help you find a local supplier.

The other key is to start the generator and run it for at least 1 hour 2 times a month. According to a local Onan tech I had the chance to talk to while he was working on a full-building backup unit at my former employer (they work on everything Onan), if you do that and run ethanol-free fuel and do regular oil changes, you can prevent 99 percent of the issues that will come up on the smaller Onan units.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 07-06-2019 at 05:12 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Very nice setup! Not really comparable to the more compact units they throw in RVs though typically is it? Is that an air cooled or liquid cooled unit? I like the idea of feeding it from the trucks diesel supply, makes sense and keeps it and the weight out of the trailer.

So folks with an S-Class/Solitude have not had any issue swapping out the factory 30# tanks for 40s? That is something I am very interested in doing as myself. I can keep the 30s as backups then (I assume they would fit upright in the passthrough? Down the road I would love to get solar but just pricing out batteries and inverters kept that from getting spousal approval for the time being.
    Yes the 40 pound tanks fit just fine. My dealer threw in a couple at delivery and I bought 2 more 30 pounders. If need be I can carry all 6 bottles (200 lbs) of propane with me for extended use. The 40's are a bit of a bear to lift up into the compartment when full though lol
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Yes the 40 pound tanks fit just fine. My dealer threw in a couple at delivery and I bought 2 more 30 pounders. If need be I can carry all 6 bottles (200 lbs) of propane with me for extended use. The 40's are a bit of a bear to lift up into the compartment when full though lol
    Got to have something for my 31 year old body to do About the weight of 2x 20# tanks each?
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Got to have something for my 31 year old body to do About the weight of 2x 20# tanks each?
    Yes I would say that's close. The 40's are a bit of a pain but they sure are nice to have especially with the generator, it drinks like a sailor on shore leave lol. (no offense to any Navy folks on here!)
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, the generator is a big part of why I want the 40s haha

Res. fridge in my trailer so only other propane use is grill, stove, furnace, and water heater. Of those, only the furnace would be a big consumer and then only part of the time each year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    I have an onan 5500 watt quiet diesel, I got it used and made some repairs to it, so I have a very small investment in it. If I needed a new gen set I would probably replace it with the same. I opted to put the gen set in the bed of my truck in front of my fifth wheel hitch since I already have a 60 gallon fuel tank. I plumbed the gen set in directly to the fuel tank, so I can run it a looooooong time. I have it wired for 220 volts and even though it is only capable of around 25 amps per leg, I have no issues with running both a/c's in hot weather. To put it in perspective, my 3500 watt Honda EX gas generator would trip the 29 amp main breaker running only 1 a/c unit and I had to turn off the power converter to be able to run the a/c without tripping the breaker in Denver when I picked up my 310gk. This being said, I don't think I would put the diesel unit in the front storage area. To hard to get to to service it. Before I had the Solitude, I had the Onan mounted on a custom platform on the rear of my Holiday Rambler Alumascape. I had a 6 gallon outboard motor fuel tank and carried extra 5 gallon fuel cans. You can run red off road fuel in the diesel generator too. The Onan is very quiet and I have run it down to -10F without issues with treated fuel and synthetic oil.
    @Nuffsaid
    I have a 375 RES and a diesel generator I was going to hook up. The generator I have has an L14-30R (120/240V) receptacle, an L6-30R (240v) receptacle and L5-30R (120V) receptacle.
    How did you wire the outlet from the QD into the 50 amp RV plug? I assue you have similar 30 amp plugs on your QD and are hooking into the 50 amp plug.
    Extra Class Ham Operator WB0YD
    2018 Imagine 2670MK previous rig
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2018 Ram 3500 crew cab 4x4 Long bed dually Cummins automatic
    AISIN A69 trans 3.73 gears, B+W Companion slider

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nevermind, I got it.
    Extra Class Ham Operator WB0YD
    2018 Imagine 2670MK previous rig