Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile New to full timing... Questions

Hello all!
    I’ve been working seasonally as a national park ranger for a few years. This fall I plan on going full-time with my girlfriend and Our two dogs and cat. We like the floor plan of the 2800 BH. We’re Planning on purchasing the trailer as well as a Toyota tundra to pull it with. I have some Questions that I hope this forum can help us with...
    1. Is anybody for timing in a 2800 BH? If so, what, If any are The pros and cons of that particular trailer?
    2. Is a Toyota tundra with a 5.7 V8 And idea till vehicle for this trailer? (I’ve done my research and I see people telling with Smaller vehicles and others that recommend using a three-quarter ton.... I know I’d be within my limit, but am I pushing it? )
    3.I know most people claim their domicile to be in Texas, Florida, or South Dakota. My girlfriend is On Medicare and needs to stay a resident of Minnesota. We have family that lives there and can use their address and just forward mail to A PO Box. We plan on staying at a single location for 4 to 6 months and then moving on To another for that same length of time. I am currently a Florida resident, and I’m planning to switch my address to Minnesota. Insurance is cheaper all around in Minnesota over Florida. Does anyone have experience with Medicare and residency That can Provide some information on how this works for them?
    4. Full-timing With dogs is Some thing I’m nervous about. When we are at the park we will be provided with full hook ups so were able to keep the air conditioner running. Temperature Varies A lot as we travel, and I’d like to get a good quiet generator for when we are not hooked up at the park. Does anyone have any recommendations for a quiet generator that Will fully power the 2800 BH without breaking the bank?

I’m a noob to all of this, any guidance is appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MN vs FL domicile. Taxes and registration cost are the big ticket items. Other support and compatibility is there any reason you are becoming a MN resident? Not married she can live (domicile) in one place and you another. We keep our FL residency (domicile) for tax and registration reasons. We use St. Brendans Isle service in Green Cove Springs, FL. We are domiciled in Green Cove Springs even though we have never been there. SBI does a good job of handling mail, vehicle registration, etc.

Most of the National Parks have a volunteer program that supplies volunteers with full RV hookup, as a seasonal ranger you should be eligible for a site, ask....

Small trailers, dogs, A/C and gensets. Not to mention solar systems. It's a big question. We only have the one little dog, yet when we are in areas that forecast above 80 degrees we will not leave her alone unless we are on 50amp hookup. You'll have to do our own risk analysis, there is not a definitive answer, just a decision point you must reach.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used SBI in the past for their mail service... If I am understanding you correctly, the address they provide could be my residential address?? So for auto insurance and registration, this wouldn’t cause issues??

As far as batteries go, does the dealer supply those as an option?? I think the 2800 bh only has a 30 amp option... would this not be sufficiet to run the A/C ??

Again, I apologize for my lack of knowledge..

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use iPostal1 for a Florida residential address. They have many in Florida and all over the country. About $10/mo. plus forwarding postage.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomadically_inclined View Post
    I have used SBI in the past for their mail service... If I am understanding you correctly, the address they provide could be my residential address?? So for auto insurance and registration, this wouldn’t cause issues??

As far as batteries go, does the dealer supply those as an option?? I think the 2800 bh only has a 30 amp option... would this not be sufficiet to run the A/C ??

Again, I apologize for my lack of knowledge..
    The dealer will supply one deep cycle marine battery,(or they should and it should not cost you anything). Your trailer being 30 amp is enough to run one a/c unit and the rest of the camper. This will be the case as long as the campground has a good electric supply.

Brian

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just some things to think about.....the federal government (social security/medicare) and financial institutions (banks, credit unions, etc.) do not recognize post office box addresses.

We're both on medicare also. Our domain is Box Elder, South Dakota and we have a supplemental insurance program that coveres us in any state that we're in for medical and medications.

If you change your domain to Minn. you should consider that you're going to have to start paying state income tax. SD, TX and Fl. have cheaper vehicle registrations, cheaper vehicle insurance (except Fl), cheaper health insurance, SD doesn't have any vehicle inspections, etc.

I had a small, 30 amp rig previously and they don't do well when it gets warm or when it gets cold. I would suggest looking at something that has at least two A/Cs and possibly a heat pump if you're going to full time in it.

If you go with 3/4 ton diesel then you can look at the Grand Design 150 Series 5th wheels. A 5th wheel has much more storage than a TT. And, don't be afraid to look at late model "used" for the truck and the trailer. Let somebody else take the big depreciation hit. Most smaller rigs are only used a few times a year so one that's three years old may not have 60-90 days of actual use. And a late model 3/4 ton diesel may allow you to get one with all the bells and whistles, yet it's still very low miles for a diesel.

Just some suggestions and things to possibly consider.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toyota builds a good truck but if you are towing, especially as a life style, I would definitely consider a diesel.
    I've had two F-350 and now I'm on my second Dodge/Ram 3500 with Cummins power. The mileage and power alone are worth the initial investment.
    With the diesel you can tow just about anything you want with ease, and safer. Toyota are not cheap vehicles, you might be surprised at the price comparison with the diesel, might be worth considering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are recently new to full time and though we are new, we junped in both feet no turning back. While we are looking at residency stuff, I DO know a little about towing. I was once told "there is no such thing as too much truck". Now that I'm towing, I now know my friend was correct. We are FULLY loaded down. Our one ton dually is up for the task easily and most importantly, comfortably. As for generators, ive decided on a predator from harbor freight. The 3500 watt inverter generator. It will power one AC and my residential fridge and is quiet. At half the price of the Honda, I'm gonna take the chance on it. I'm still researching making a battery bank and using some solar but more research required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When first jumping into full-timing, where do you store all your clothes? We each have a walk-in closet full. What did you do with all the "stuff" in your home? Furniture, TV's, lawn mower, pressure washer, etc?
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT 1500, CrewCab, 5.3L, 2wd.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunfla View Post
    What did you do with all the "stuff" ...
    Downsizing, it's a tough and exciting time.

We had 4 avenues for our stuff to leave. 1. Stuff we put into the RV, when it started to overflow we had to start weeding stuff out and put in a different avenue. 2. Sell it, yard sales, garage sales, craigslist, other local media. 3. Donate it. Goodwill, shelter resale, etc. 4. Trash.

We were so excited about going full time we put a lot of stuff for sale in the paper and on craigslist. Unfortunately we didn't think it through too well, the furniture went very fast. We ended up using the RV furniture for 2 and half months.

The first step is to let go of the stuff emotionally. That t-shirt you got in high school that doesn't really fit any more, gone. Second you have to come to terms with value, something only has value if someone else wants it. Sometime it takes a loooong time to find someone who agrees with the value you have placed on something. So don't over value your stuff.

We did garage sales every other week for 3 months. My neighbor, who had a very immaculate garage, would come over and be aghast at the low dollar figure I had posted on tools and lawn equipment. He chastised me more than once about, he just knew someone would pay more for the stuff than what I was asking. I told him the reason I priced it the way I did is because I needed it gone in a very short time period. At the end of the three months his garage looked a lot like mine before we started downsizing.

99% of the time we only wear t-shirts and blue jeans. Shorts in the summer. Be realistic about your clothing needs.

Set of 4 for dishes. If you do a dinner party you will serve on paper plates. Say goodbye to your kitchen appliances. There is very little that you can't do by hand, now you will have the time to take your time preparing your meals.

You will need a #2 Fredericks bit screw driver and bit for the drill.
    Last edited by D2Reid; 05-06-2019 at 09:41 AM.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast