Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

towing 385th for first time.

Brought 385 home from dealer today. When I connected trailer to truck, 2012 f350 Fx4 it squated. I knew it would but it caught me offguard a little. Trailer and truck not level, sagging in center. I have bags scheduled to go on rear on 6 Sept. I am hoping that they will correct the problem. I am running a 20,000 lbs reese hitch and it is set to highest it can go now. Has onyone had to change hitches to get a more level ride. If you can get one with a higher stance?. Got to do some research to see if I can get one with a higher stance if need be. But man the
    385 is a very sound toyhauler. When you inspect it you can see where the weight comes from. My 2 cents. Hootie

overpolished
    More info on your F-350 may help as well... could you be overweight?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That 3700 lb pin weight would make the rear of the truck drop down...you didn't mention whether your truck is SRW or DRW. Dragging it home from the dealer may be the worst case as adding weight in the garage will reduce the pin weight.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DRW, truck not overnight, but that being said after bags installed going to weigh sta and getting number for the complete set up to see where I actually sit. Knew about pin weight being that heavy with only 2 axles.

thompsjk
    I just bought a 385TH on August 16th and have a 2012 F350 crew cab DRW FX4 with the factory Ford / Reese 25K hitch. I also have the Timbren SES suspension system on my truck. My hitch is raised as high as it will go and my truck only squats about an inch and still sets a little higher in the back than the front but the 385 still sets low in the front and not level. I contacted Grand Design and asked about lowering the pin box to get the fifth wheel to set level and was told that I could not do that, they told me to put air bags on my truck even though it is not squatting. Then yesterday I was showing one of my co-workers some pics of the 385 on Grand Design's web sight and noticed that the pin box in the picture appears to be in the position that I need to put mine in. So I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Jeff

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thompsjk; did they give you a reason you could not lower the pin box one hole like that in the picture. I looked at that picture after you posted and it is down one hole indeed. I was thinking that option in the future if the bags fix the truck but not fix the 385. Have you gotten your 385 and truck weighed yet to see what weights you are working with. Mine was empty bringing it home @15500 average weight according to specs, my pin weight at 15 to 25% would be between 2325 and 3150. Next stop for me is getting everything weighed when it leaves my driveway Not liable for my math at this point. No calculator. This is an interesting. Tomorrow I am going to measure before and after hook up on truck and after hook up measure 385 front and back to check difference. Give me a good ballpark figure if I level up the truck to before hookup height where trailer will sit.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thompsjk View Post
    I just bought a 385TH on August 16th and have a 2012 F350 crew cab DRW FX4 with the factory Ford / Reese 25K hitch. I also have the Timbren SES suspension system on my truck. My hitch is raised as high as it will go and my truck only squats about an inch and still sets a little higher in the back than the front but the 385 still sets low in the front and not level. I contacted Grand Design and asked about lowering the pin box to get the fifth wheel to set level and was told that I could not do that, they told me to put air bags on my truck even though it is not squatting. Then yesterday I was showing one of my co-workers some pics of the 385 on Grand Design's web sight and noticed that the pin box in the picture appears to be in the position that I need to put mine in. So I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Jeff
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new TH.

I'm not sure why GD says you shouldn't lower the pin box...that's what I had the dealer do at pick up of our Reflection. There was only one set of holes available and I remember them being 1" centers. It certainly helped to level the camper with our RWD truck.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

thompsjk
    I have not gotten any weights yet. This is the original reply that I got back from them.

"Lowering the pin box is not recommended by LCI as you’re losing the integrity of the pin box. Adding air bags to the truck may be needed.

JD Adams
    Warranty Service Rep
    Grand Design RV"

We have had several e-mails back and forth on this and it seems to me that blaming the truck is the quickest and easiest thing for them to do.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum thompsjk and congratulations on your new Momentum!

Steve

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I inspected my pin box closer today. It is actually one hole down from top. If I go down any further I could see integrity issues. the reason I missed it when I first glanced at it is because they have installed a placard over the top forward hole and I did not look close at it, it looks like there is not a hole there. Took my truck to Cat weigh sta and this is what it weighed at. Front- 5040#, back 3680# total 7820#. That was with 1/2 tank of fuel and hitch installed in bed. Hooked 385 up to truck. Rear went down 3 3/8". Trailer followed alone going down some. I had a difference of about 2-3 inch difference from front to back on trailer. Believe bags will compensate for that and then some if needed to keep trailer level. At This point I believe the 2012 F350 will have no issues with 385 and being level. But I need rest of the missing puzzle on weights to be accurate. My drive axle max weight is 9000# and the only thing I believe will come anywhere close to max is total weight for truck which is 13000#. Like I said weigh truck and trailer and just trailer should have a good idea and be accurate. One last thing going through paperwork on 385 found paperwork for trailer weight showing weights for trailer including left and right side weights for trailer. Do not know how accurate they are but it came from Grand design, reminds me of my career in aircraft maintenance In the Air Force doing weight and balance on aircraft. Hoodie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast