User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plate fees for 1/2 ton picks in Ontario more than doubled.

As many on this site I am in Florida or another warm state for the winter. We have a Shaw dish and enjoy watching the news in Canada and other shows. Today on the news on channel 9 was a segment on a fellow that has a 2018 F150 pickup. When he went to buy the plate sticker the price was not 120.00 but 265.00. The reason given a pickup truck over 3000 kilos is classed as a commercial vehicle even if you use it for pleasure. My concern is not only for the increased in plate cost but what will your insurance be when they find out your pleasure vehicle is now registered as commercial vehicle in Ontario. This could be a real game changer for us. I need to talk to Service Ontario in Elmvale when I get home and my insurance company.

Ken

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That’s quite a hike. In NYS, it’s creeping up, but I wouldn’t put it past them to throw a big jump in one of these days and call it an “offset”. Is that per year, or longer? Ours is for two.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2500 - which already was classified as commercial for registration in Ontario - it didn’t impact our insurance at all. Our insurer asked if we were using the truck for a business or just personal use.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iproff1 View Post
    As many on this site I am in Florida or another warm state for the winter. We have a Shaw dish and enjoy watching the news in Canada and other shows. Today on the news on channel 9 was a segment on a fellow that has a 2018 F150 pickup. When he went to buy the plate sticker the price was not 120.00 but 265.00. The reason given a pickup truck over 3000 kilos is classed as a commercial vehicle even if you use it for pleasure. My concern is not only for the increased in plate cost but what will your insurance be when they find out your pleasure vehicle is now registered as commercial vehicle in Ontario. This could be a real game changer for us. I need to talk to Service Ontario in Elmvale when I get home and my insurance company.
    Hmmm . . . this is concerning!
    In typical "government bureaucracy" lack of clear definition, the documentation that I can find says "over 3000 kilos Gross Weight". Does this mean Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) or the gross weight of the empty truck ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nancy, I wouldn't be surprised either; not the way Cuomo is trying to get more money for his pet projects and this would be another tax without anybody being able to protest.
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Ram 2500. It has always been classified a "Heavy Vehicle" and therefore I pay the annual sticker a $265. This is the part that confuses everyone....Your truck is used for personal use and not a commercial vehicle. IF it is registered commercial use (under company name etc) you maybe subject to commercial use sticker and would also require an annual safety inspection on your truck. That would trigger the definition of a COMMRERCIAL use vehicle which goes by different standards including RGW, actual weight or GVWR. Dont fall into the trap of having your pickup classed as commercial. There are various catagories so know your vehicle and uses before registering it. RV's have always been the exception to Commercial vehicle registrations and weights.
    Shawn & Julie
    2018 Reflection 327RST
    2015 Ram 2500 6.7 litre Cummins Diesel
    Pullrite Autoslide 16 K with Capture Plate
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That really stinks. I think mine are coming due this year. Will not be happy with Mr. Ford for jacking up my license sticker price. Commercial my butt.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilrhody View Post
    We have a 2500 - which already was classified as commercial for registration in Ontario - it didn’t impact our insurance at all. Our insurer asked if we were using the truck for a business or just personal use.
    If your vehicle is classified as commercial how do you know if you are paying a higher fee for insurance or not. I guess if you know someone that had a business and had a 2500 might help answer that. My experience has been if insurance can justify charging you more they will.

2020 Imagine 2450RL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plate fees for 1/2 ton picks in Ontario more than doubled.

Quote Originally Posted by iproff1 View Post
    If your vehicle is classified as commercial how do you know if you are paying a higher fee for insurance or not. I guess if you know someone that had a business and had a 2500 might help answer that. My experience has been if insurance can justify charging you more they will.

When I registered the 2500, they charged us the $265 and told me it was because that size truck is considered commercial, so costs more to register. However, our insurance charge barely changed from what we were paying for our 1500.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lilrhody; 03-30-2019 at 06:06 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hmmm . . . this is concerning!
    In typical "government bureaucracy" lack of clear definition, the documentation that I can find says "over 3000 kilos Gross Weight". Does this mean Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) or the gross weight of the empty truck ?

Rob
    Rob the video is available on CTV's web site. The government does answer questions about the fee.

2020 Imagine 2450RL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast