Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	18814

So where did it come from:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190328_081448106_HDR.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	18815

Oh my! the top screw on the awning mount has pulled loose and dropped down into the awning slide tray and jammed things up. I pull the screw loose and the awning popped into place. Now I have to figure out the best way to repair the pulled screw.

It appears to go into fiberglass only. Bigger screw will be a good temporary fix, but I am wanting something a little more permanent. So I stopped by a boat supply store and picked up a small tube Marine 5200. This is really strong sealer/adhesive used on boats. If I use it I will pitty the poor soul (probably me) who has to pull that awning off, but on the other hand, if I use it the awning will definitely stay put for a while.

Anybody have a better solution?
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall similar issues happening with other people and molly rivets were a good solution. From what I understand, they are like regular rivets but mushroom out on the backside for installation of things on a hollow wall.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I recall similar issues happening with other people and molly rivets were a good solution. From what I understand, they are like regular rivets but mushroom out on the backside for installation of things on a hollow wall.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    GD sent me some of the rivets and I installed them at each end (2 ea I think), seemed to grip and hold good. the screws were rusting and I thinks water was getting in, I siliconed up what I could get to. On mine (300GK) the screws are in a track covered by a vinyl strip doubled over and held in place by a screw at each end. To bad that there isn't something behind this area for backing, as stated it is just plywood.

Rich
    Rich And Janet (no dog or cats, 8 grandkids but not with us all at once)
    Onalaska, WA
    2011 F350, 4X4, B&W hitch
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My awning got caught by wind a couple of years ago and pulled 2 screws from the wall. I filled the old holes with sealant and replaced those screws, then drilled new holes using slightly larger screws than OEM. It has held fine for the last 2 1/2 years and we are full-timers. If it happened again I’d remount it using rivets which I keep on hand.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here is a source for the Molly rivets if you don't want to hassle with GD. BTW, some people call them Oscar rivets.

Rivets

Jim

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    My awning got caught by wind a couple of years ago and pulled 2 screws from the wall. I filled the old holes with sealant and replaced those screws, then drilled new holes using slightly larger screws than OEM. It has held fine for the last 2 1/2 years and we are full-timers. If it happened again I’d remount it using rivets which I keep on hand.

Alan
    Glad it is holding for you. If anyone wants to use rivets I suggest longer/bigger. Has been awhile but I think the ones I used were 3/16 (my rivet gun has 2 sizes, used larger for rivets sent by GD) and longer grip range as they need to go thru fiberglass and plywood behind.

Rich
    Rich And Janet (no dog or cats, 8 grandkids but not with us all at once)
    Onalaska, WA
    2011 F350, 4X4, B&W hitch
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a Boy Scout "be prepared" comes to mind when I read these threads, but soon I will have more fix it stuff that is chewing into my carry capacity.

Brian

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    As a Boy Scout "be prepared" comes to mind when I read these threads, but soon I will have more fix it stuff that is chewing into my carry capacity.

Brian
    Ditto! I started our Full-Time adventure 5years ago with a pretty good set of tools, but along the way have added a rivet tool, pex clamp tool, pin nailer and basin wrench. Not things you often need, but they’ve all been used.
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a bunch of Marine 5200 in the wholes and then added the tails of zip ties into the mess, kind of like the old tooth pick and glue trick, except with plastic instead of wood. I took the weight off of the awning by propping my extendable broom under the awning, then using the original screws snugged them up, but was careful not to overtighten them. When that 5200 sets up it should be pretty secure. I also had third from the top bolt missing on another arm.

I have a rivet gun, it would probably been easier to go get some Oscar Rivets.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast