User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Light Truck tires v trailer tires any thoughts

Any thoughts about installing Light Truck tires in stead of trailer tires? I am considering this on my GD Reflection 303. We now have a better choice with trailer tires now that Goodyear has the Endurance trailer tires.
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch
    2002 GMC Duramax 3:73 rear, 2 wheel drive

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a time (15 to 20 years ago) when trailer tire quality was so bad that the only choice for many was to use LT tires. Some older trailers eve show LT tires as OE on the tire spec label. In recent years, trailer tire quality has gotten better and every tire manufacturer recommends ST tires for trailers because these have sidewalls designed to take the twisting that happens with tandem axle trailers.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at the load rating on the LT vs. ST tires you will see the LT tire are normally less than the same size ST tire, at least thats what I found. Look at etrailer.com they have some good tires. Thats where I got mine.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys ! With the Goodyear Endurance if I stay with 15" tires 225/75R 15 E the load range is 2830 , 4X2830 +11,320. My reflection 303rls shows 8500 loaded on the scales. That should be good. 2830 is what my 15 ' Westlake E rated tires show per tire.
    The Michelin 16" 225/76R E shows 2680 load range (10,720 load range for 4 tires ).
    It really comes down to which tire is less likely to blowout??
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite all the rhetoric and promises of one brand vs another . . . most tire failures come down to tire damage caused by running at low pressures or high speeds. Take care of any tires that are operating within their design specs and you will likely be fine.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rob, That could very well be the case. I had one blowout and am hoping to never have another. Since then I do have a tire pressure monitor and that helps. We have had trailers for years , since the late 70's, two used and two new. towed all over the country south, west, north, north west , Canada and even to Alaska and have never had an issue with tires until we went to a 5th wheel. I guess it's the higher weights of the 5th wheels. Anyhow, thanks for your input. I rally appreciate everyones input , I feel I can always learn from others. Thanks ! Duke
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On my old unit I too had tire issues. That was until I lifted it to ride level. It was nose high and rear tires blew. Once I weighed I knew I had to do something. I put 16" E rated BFG's it as at the time the BFG had the strongest sidewall out there. I also upgraded to 6K axles at the time too.

Look to the future and what I may need to do when I get my new truck as I know they sit higher than my current one. I'll probably up size to 16" and look at my options. LT's will be on the short list.

On Edit: I had 16K instead of 6k on the axles - fixed now
    Last edited by powerscol; 04-03-2019 at 10:20 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did hear at the rally last year that several manufactures are putting truck tires on new trailers. I was also told to get a set of Michelins and I would not regret the move. This was told to me by a speaker at the east coast rally two years ago. Just want to do all I can to prevent a blowout.
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a thread way back in 2015 . . .

Not to re-ignite the LT vs ST tire debate, but I have looked on several tire manufacture's websites and they all say that ST tires have stronger sidewalls than LT tires.

This is a quick overview that summarizes what the tire manufacturers say. https://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/1...s-vs-lt-tires/
    Specifically . . . "ST tires have strengthened sidewalls to prevent the tire from rolling under the rim in turns and when cornering."

The tire manufacturers recommendations are at least worth considering . . . particularly since they all seem to be of the same opinion.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a single axle trailer I would have no problem with using a LT tire. Dual axle I will always go with the ST tire. Stand behind a dual axle trailer sometime when someone else is backing into a site while turning. When you see those tire start rolling over you will wonder why they don't come off the rim. That will show you the need for ST tires with the stronger sidewalls.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast