User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I’ll keep my screens on and the bugs out since I have yet to see any real proof to remove them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a fact that a screen will restrict airflow. It is also a fact that mud dauber nests can also make a mess. In North Carolina, these things will nest anywhere then can get. On my Solitude, the fridge has two sets of vents on the slide. The top one requires a ladder to reach. For me, this limits the number of times I am going to get up there to open the vent panel.

I have used the prefabbed vent covers for years on my past TT with no incident; . The wire mesh is not as fine as a window screen and will not be as restrictive to air flow. I understand the engineers at Dometic have reason to advocate against the use of anything that will restrict airflow. My risk assessment is, given my unwillingness to remove my vent panel every outing to check, my risks are lower using the screen. All that said, i encourage the caution, is is good that one understands the risks.

If I were to fab my own cover, I would use something larger than window screen, Maybe this: https://www.amazon.com/Woven-X60cm-C...%2C148&sr=8-14
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My problems with the fridge temperature were solved the day I took off the screens I had put on the first day of ownership. They definitely do restrict airflow... and airflow is critical across the back of these RV refrigerators. I had one mud-dauber to deal with last year when I pulled out of storage.. no bug issues since.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have screens on the HWH and Furnace.

Also had screens on our previous TT frig and no problems.

Our GD fridg had some problems ( now solved ) from the beginning ( no screens were present ) so we decided no screens for the fridg. I just zip tied dog flea collars just inside the vents. Seems like it might work. Time will tell.
    2018 F150 Eco 4x4 XLT CC Max Tow Package
    Michelin Defender tires
    2019 GD Imagine 2500RL WDH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I killed 6 mud daubers over the course of a day installing my screens over both refrigerator vents. Killed another one the next day while waxing in the same area while it was trying to find access. This was a brand new Reflection 320 MKS. Hate to think what a mess I would have if not using screens.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the bug screen covers on both the fridge and furnace vents. Obtained some extra material of similar sized opening and cut to each end size. Zip tied in and have had no issues.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in NC, the screens are almost mandatory. Mud daubers / wasps will build anywhere they can get in. I'll be installing them in our new 31MB this fall, along with upgraded fans to help move air.
    Last edited by Appfan; 08-19-2019 at 06:30 PM. Reason: because grammar is hard... :D

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed the screens because if the mud daubers and yellow jackets (which are plentiful in this area) get into the back of the refrigerator, I'd have a lot bigger problem with air flow than the small decrease the screens might cause.
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (riven1950 ,

Our GD fridg had some problems ( now solved ) from the beginning ( no screens were present ) so we decided no screens for the fridg. I just zip tied dog flea collars just inside the vents. Seems like it might work. Time will tell.)

riven1950,

Is your fridge a Dometic? What was the "some problems" with it you speak of? and, How was it solved. I have a brand new unit with a Dometic fridge, RM1350 that will not cool properly and they say is working within spec, it is not when I have it. 5 months new and it still does not work properly. Yes, I have done and checked all of the "easy" checks, still will not cool properly.
    Last edited by rjswift; 10-21-2019 at 10:51 AM. Reason: spelling
    Bob & Sheran
    2017 Ford F350 DRW CC LB Lariat 6.7 PS
    Companion 5th Wheel Hitch in Ford Pucks
    2020 Reflections 337RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Fridge vents - prevent bugs from getting in

We’ve used screens on everything for a year and a half of full timing and everything works perfectly, even camping for months in the desert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast