User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found that the one thing that causes me to go out of my routine is someone coming up to talk to me while I am in the middle of my routine. Your'e leaving so you are glad to see them to be able to say goodbye. Don't get mad or chase them away they are your'e friends. Don't just go back to where you left off, that is how things get missed. (Where was I.) Start all over like you hadn't even started yet. That is the only way to make sure everything get done properly.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to chock once in the pouring rain. Raised the trailer off the ball and it started to roll back away from the truck. Thank god I hadn't unhooked the chains yet. Behind my site was a 20 foot drop off. I now use a check list.
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab PSD SRW

Former set up:
    2013 Kodiak 291RESL
    2017 Ford F150 Platinum

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing Jeff. Some wouldn't admit mistakes. That's the only way we learn sometimes by making mistakes. I've made my share!

Usually when things go wrong is when something comes up that is out of the norm and it takes us out of our normal routine. We tend to focus on resolving the out or norm issue and that is when bad things happen.

We had problems the last time hooking up, the lock arm on the companion would not fully close. The reason, I was off from the pin a little bit too far and had hit the hitch a little too hard, and the wife had the pin box a little too high, now the jaws were jammed and wouldn't close all the way. We were focused too much on determining the problem and almost didn't notice that I had pushed the front jacks almost off the blocks. The RV tires were chocked loosely, but had I pulled the truck out to re position, the front jacks could have come off the blocks and the whole thing would have dropped 4 inches.

We did notice, I reset the emergency brake on the truck, tightened the RV chocks, raised the front jacks and put all the RV weight on the truck and half latched hitch, re positioned the front blocks, lowered the jacks again just till we saw movement of the pin box to hitch plate, fully opened the latch handle and the jaws opened as I pulled the truck out. Then started over from scratch and everything then went as normal.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disruption to the standard routine is a killer. Checklists help that. As Gary mentioned above, start over from the beginning. I agree with another previous comment, I find keeping my checklist on my phone to be very convenient.

Glad the damage was minimal. The lesson learned from the shock of it happening was enough; you didn't need the learning to be re-enforced by a big repair bill.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ouch for sure!
    Thanks for sharing this, it's tough to admit our bone head moves sometimes, but I for one appreciate that so many here do so.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wdkerek View Post
    ouch for sure!
    Thanks for sharing this, it's tough to admit our bone head moves sometimes, but I for one appreciate that so many here do so.
    Sadly, the more boneheaded moves I make, the easier they are to admit!
    2019 F250 Platinum, 6.7, LB, FX4, High Capacity Tow Package
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joined the club. Had mobile RV tech out to my Davis Mountains State Park site to check some grinding brakes, which had grease on them, after I paid to have them replace because of the whole Lippert seal thing. Anyway, after tech left at midnight its time to unhook. Great, except I forgot to put my chocks in front/behind my wheels. So as soon as the 315 came off the ball the jack foot pad slid backwards, off the plastic pad, and the trailer begins to roll backwards. I grab the electric jack head like Im going to stop it, then it stops.....Only because there was a parking block at the end of my camp pad. If it hadn't been for that block, Im sure my RLTS would have ended up in the dry creek bed, after mowing through the picnic table. The jack post was bent and would not retract but for a inch off the ground. Had to call RV Tech back, who covers much of West Texas. He actually had a Lippert replacement in his stock, and came out the next night to replace it. Were now close friends at this point. I did have him reposition the jack head 90 degrees to the left so I can lower my tailgate with the trailer attached. ILL NEVER FORGET TO CHOCK AGAIN !!!!!
    Duane, Mary Jo, and Milo the dog = Full Timers.
    2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 6.7 psd
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I think this is the best section on the forum. We're all human right?

This hasn't gotten me yet (knocking on wood)....

I painted my hitch jaw yellow so it is easy to see that it is closed. Doesn't solve everything but I think it helps.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVLife68 View Post
    Me too. I have 3 checks in the checklist
    1st is a visual check of the jaws.
    2nd is I only have the front legs off the ground by 1/2”, wheels chocked, trailer 7 pin connected, break controller activated, foot on break, put vehicle in drive, foot off break, light throttle to see if the truck/trailer will be separated.
    3rd is another visual check of jaws
    Agree 100%, I also activate the trailer brakes w/ the manual locking bar and pull forward if I'm not locked the 5th will drop on the landing gear. I had to play with the controls to get both front jacks off the ground at the same time but it can be done. We have all done dumb stuff and most of us have lived to talk about it,
    Rich
    Rich And Janet (no dog or cats, 8 grandkids but not with us all at once)
    Onalaska, WA
    2011 F350, 4X4, B&W hitch
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy to do. Everyone has their list or mental list we use but when something out of the ordinary happens we can tend to go for that fast fix which may or may not end up being a good thing. Tell you what, 2 to 4k lbs on the bed rails is going to tear something up, either the fifth wheel or the truck rails, you skated free with virtually nothing damaged, about as good as it can go in that situation.

Thanks for sharing the mishap, I'm going to file it away in my brain and hope I don't repeat the mistake. Let me find some wood to knock on.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast