User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot the Chocks and Pinched the Kingpin

I'm not new to trailers but this is my first fifth wheel. Chocking the wheels is always an automatic pretty much any time the trailer isn't in motion, right?

Well, after a couple weeks at the house, it was time to take my new trailer to the storage lot. My wife was busy, so I went by myself. Got the trailer in my spot and dropped the front landing gear. Looked like I was clear to pull the truck forward so I pulled the pin on the release handle and hopped in the truck. Started it up and attempted to pull forward but I was met with resistance. Walked back to check things out and realized that the jaws were still wrapped around the pin and the landing gear were half hanging off the blocks they were resting on. I had actually raised the trailer too high and there was tension on the pin so it would not release. I still hadn't realized that I failed to chock the tires and I did not replace the pin in the hitch release handle. I decide to retract the landing gear to preposition the blocks. Well guess what happens as I lower the front of the trailer and the tension is released from the pin. BAM! The trailer rolls backwards and comes crashing down on the bed rails. Did I mention that the trailer is two weeks old and the truck has 4,000 miles on it. I was shocked. It took a second to realized what happened. What am idiot! I chocked the tires and raised the trailer off the bed rails. Amazingly, there was virtually no damage. Pretty much nothing on the bed rails and two almost imperceptible dents in the trim piece that joins the trailer cap to the underside of the overhang. I narrowly avoided disaster and I'm grateful that it was just a scary lesson and not an expensive one.
    2019 F250 Platinum, 6.7, LB, FX4, High Capacity Tow Package
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that's crazy, can't believe there was no damage to the truck....talk about "built Ford tough" lol. This has always been my biggest fear with my Solitude, I guarantee 3900 pounds of pin weight would do some damage. I always slow down and recheck everything twice before I pull that release lever. Wheel chocks, landing gear, eyeball for a little clearance on the hitch plate and then pull the lever. I still let out a little sigh of relief when the truck glides out and trailer doesn't!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch ! This or things like this happen more than we think. Good to hear it was not worse for machine or man. Great learning opportunity and thanks, for sharing with the group to help learn as well.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple that we camp with; he dropped he’s twice. Apparently he needed at least two lessons. I’m a checklist guy as I can get distracted easily...squirrel
    2018 F-350 6.7L diesel SRW CCSB Lariat with OEM rolling tonneau
    Pullrite Superglide OE Series #2914, Titan 55Gal Tank(midship)
    2018 Momentum 354 M-Class no mods yet.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple in our group was all hooked up and slowly pulling out when the bang occurred. Landing gear all the way up trailer down on the bed sides, both now have a rather large dent , crease. He failed to make sure his latch was not secured. I check then check and again a coupe more times but still fear that I might not have it right.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    A couple in our group was all hooked up and slowly pulling out when the bang occurred. Landing gear all the way up trailer down on the bed sides, both now have a rather large dent , crease. He failed to make sure his latch was not secured. I check then check and again a coupe more times but still fear that I might not have it right.

Brian
    Me too. I have 3 checks in the checklist
    1st is a visual check of the jaws.
    2nd is I only have the front legs off the ground by 1/2”, wheels chocked, trailer 7 pin connected, break controller activated, foot on break, put vehicle in drive, foot off break, light throttle to see if the truck/trailer will be separated.
    3rd is another visual check of jaws
    2018 F-350 6.7L diesel SRW CCSB Lariat with OEM rolling tonneau
    Pullrite Superglide OE Series #2914, Titan 55Gal Tank(midship)
    2018 Momentum 354 M-Class no mods yet.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the aluminum body did it's job, lol!

My favorite is forgetting to secure the gooseneck ball on my old truck when loading the Jeep on the car hauler. That's a fun ride when you put weight on the back of the trailer and the neck comes off the ball and the only thing keeping you in one piece is playing teeter totter held up by the safety chains!
    2019 Reflection 150 260RD - 2018 Ford F350
    Rest of the fleet: 95 Grand Cherokee with a lot of stuff, 15 JKU Rubicon with less stuff, 98 5.9 Grand Cherokee with a little stuff

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch! I'm glad it wasn't worse, even though you're a Ford guy . We who make boneheaded mistakes should form a club, kinda like the 2 time tow vehicle crowd. Nah, there's be too many of us. Thanks for sharing.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a firm believer in Checklists. My new trailer (Momentum 394) is my first ever 5ver, as I've always had tow behind stuff. Before I even brought the trailer home, I had my checklist made and on my phone ready to use. I'm not saying that I am beyond making a mistake, but using a checklist that is known to be a correct procedural order, takes away most of the chances of making some of those "brain fart" times. Glad you got off pretty easy on the learning experience and if you are like most of us, it will be something you remember for as long as you pull trailers, and that's a good thing....keeps us on our toes.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    Ouch! I'm glad it wasn't worse, even though you're a Ford guy . We who make boneheaded mistakes should form a club, kinda like the 2 time tow vehicle crowd. Nah, there's be too many of us. Thanks for sharing.

John
    John

I think joining this forum automatically provides us with membership to this club It also provides us a great support group.

Brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast