User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a list but I will say that the first thing I see when I lower my tailgate is my wheel chocks. Never an issue with chocking the tires... Some say they don't even chock the tires when they are on a level spot but I would never, ever unhook any kind of trailer without first chocking. It's sometimes a pain to get one or two of the chocks out after hooking back up, having to move forwards or backwards to get them all loose but they are the last thing to go back in the bed, after a pin and brake check, right at the end of the tailgate...till time to unhook. Lists are fine I am sure but paying attention trumps all.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a muscle memory kind of guy (avid competitive shooter all my life) so I practice a religious, methodical routine. The wildcard? My adored wife with the attention span of a gnat! Check, and recheck!

Aside from a routine and lists, let me offer a piece of advise that's saved my bacon. Make the last thing you do when unhitching be removal of the breakaway cable! I have seen MANY make this the first undone, and that is poor form IMO. Should you forget to chock, you've got a safety for rolling backwards (brakes) and rolling forward (impact with TV). Further, for personal safety, never try to stop a rolling trailer yourself! Get out of the way! I witnessed an inexperienced fella get crushed between his tailgate and pop-up camper when it rolled forward after not being chocked and he tried to protect his truck! He lived, but had broken bones and lost a nasty chunk of flesh as a result, and his truck needed body work and the pop-up too anyway!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple things gleaned from the discussion so far:

-While I will use the Anderson buckets or blocks on the 4x back leveling jacks with my Solitude, the front landing gear ALWAYS go directly onto the ground. Can't slide off of the ground, it is always there to hold you up
    -Chocks, as noted, always the first thing out and last thing put away
    -Now that I have the GooseBox, no more guessing about if I have raised the nose of the trailer enough or not. It is more of a pain getting that x-y alignment but there is no mystery about the height of everything. Just open the receiver, raise up the trailer with landing gear, and the hitch lifts off of the ball (without wondering if I am raising the truck with it or not). On the convenience scale, it is in between a bumper pull and a traditional fifth wheel king pin.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Seasoned Camper keywestparrothead's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to add that helped me was to paint the jaws on the hitch neon orange. It can get dark under the pinbox/hitch connection and this helps me see that I havent high hitched and the jaws are fully around the pin.
    2016 Momentum 376TH "The Beauty"
    2015 Ford F450 King Ranch Crew Cab "The Beast"
    2016 Indian Roadmaster "Our Toy"
    2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure "My Toy"
    ------------------------
    Previous addictions...
    2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
    2010 Montana 3750FL
    2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
    2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That dangerous part is when something breaks the routine. So easy to miss locking the pin down when your attention is on raising the jack to fix the leveling blocks. Damn it is easy to miss something like that, lucky you no damage. Hope I'm that lucky when it happens to me.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Similar thing happened to us once due to a very uneven side-to-side camp site in the mountains where you have to level one side of the trailer much higher. The trailer and truck were no where near planar (or at the same angle) to each other and once I came off the hitch - BAM, the bed hit the trailer underside! There were several contributing factors, the crushed granite ground pad was soft from rain, the trailer shifted on the leveling blocks, etc. I was surprised that the only damage was a small scratch on the trailer which I was able to mostly buff out. It was not a good day but certainly could have been a lot worse and nothing or no one was hurt other than my pride for not being so diligent in my set up.

This prompted us to get auto-leveling and upgrade to a new 310GK and say bye to the Rockwood. Also, we develop a checklist and Check Chocks are listed several times...
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2021 RAM 3500 MegaCab SWD Diesel 4x4
    SOLD --> 2020 Solitude 310GK

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123