Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Batteries???

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Batteries???

We just bought a Transcend 26 RLS and I've got a couple questions that I forgot to ask the dealer.

Do the trailers come with 12 volt batteries ? If so, how many?

If it doesn't come with a battery, what type and how many should I buy?

Assuming, it comes with one, on average how long does it last?

I noticed that the trailer has a pre-wired plug for solar power. Can I assume that the plug is for a temporary solar panel who's primary role is to recharge the battery? What type and size panel would we need? Is anylhing else needed?

We are new to Rving so we won't be boon docking any time too soon, so the battery won't be over used. I'm just trying to familiarize myself with all this.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    We just bought a Transcend 26 RLS and I've got a couple questions that I forgot to ask the dealer.

Do the trailers come with 12 volt batteries ? If so, how many?

If it doesn't come with a battery, what type and how many should I buy?

Assuming, it comes with one, on average how long does it last?

I noticed that the trailer has a pre-wired plug for solar power. Can I assume that the plug is for a temporary solar panel who's primary role is to recharge the battery? What type and size panel would we need? Is anylhing else needed?

We are new to Rving so we won't be boon docking any time too soon, so the battery won't be over used. I'm just trying to familiarize myself with all this.
    Hi,

The dealer will install a 12V battery. Probably just one.
    I don't have a guesstimate on battery capacity. Just know that running the furnace uses more than the lights, frig, fans.

The solar port is either connected to the battery thru a 10 Amp fuse, or the dealer may not connect it.
    The solar panel you connect will need a charge controller either built in or separate.
    See Furrion Solar search results: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...archid=1438550
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The trailers don't come from the factory with full propane or a battery. Most dealers include a battery (and the box it goes in) as part of the purchase, but there are a few that don't and will happily sell you one (or charge you for what they already put in) on the day you pick it up. Ditto on filling the propane - most do, some don't. Threaten to cancel the sale if either aren't included. You'll probably get a grp 27 "Marine" battery. Only a so-so for RV use, as they aren't true deep cycle batteries. You will not be able to use any normal things using the battery (microwave, TV, any outlets. Pretty much lights, water pump (if needed), and fans. If you are very, very skimpy on power use, you might get a day's use before it is so dead it has to be recharged (but doing so is bad, batteries should normally only be discharged down to 50% for longest lifespan). Your truck will partially charge it when driving, and it of course has an on-board charger when plugged in at a campground. In those cases, you usually never have to worry about running low. The pre-wired solar is just the wires and a plug, and they are too small for any decent sized solar panels. If not boondocking, skip them and spend your first year getting to know the trailer, and reading up on solar a lot before making that plunge.

Here are a few other minimum things you will need to buy, that will get you camping right away:
    A 30amp to 15amp power adaptor (so you can plug into a household socket - although you won't be able to run big appliances like air conditioning or microwaves - but you can charge batteries, run the fridge, watch TV, etc.) - my dealer included this. Many don't.
    A sewer hose. Most of us like the Rhino brand. Get a 6" clear adaptor for it too - helps you to see when the tanks are empty/clean.
    A food grade water hose (usually white, safest are the ones that have an "NSF" [National Sanitary Foundation] seal on them certifying they are safe for drinking water).
    A water pressure regulator - some campgrounds have extremely high pressure, that can damage your plumbing.
    Something to put under the tires to level the RV side-to-side. Can be 2x12's, giant "Lego" blocks, or many of us really like the drive on Anderson Levelers.
    A level - carpenters, stick on one's from the RV dealer, or the fancy "LevelMate Pro" that let's you see on your phone how level you are while you drive up on the Anderson Levelers...
    Extra boards or "Lego" blocks to put under the trailer jacks to keep them from sinking in the ground at a campsite.

After those, the list explodes - extra cords, hoses. Electrical protection. Tools. Gadgets. Amazon Prime will be a good deal, and your UPS guy will be on a first name basis.
    Last edited by sande005; 04-04-2019 at 10:19 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yea if you’re on a budget just buy a cheap generator like Harbor Freight because that single battery ain’t gonna last long if you ever dry camp.

If you’re just going to be staying at RV parks then one battery is fine, then skip the generator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info! Well rest assured, we aren't planning to go on any spending spree and buying a lot of extra stuff like solar equipment right now. We're going to wait until we have some experience under our belts first. That said, we are really only planning to buy the "essentials" that Sande005 mentioned. I only asked the question because someone asked me some questions about the battery and solar and I couldn't answer.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW those 3500 Predator inverter generators are really great little power plants. It would be enough to run a 15k but AC and more than enough to power a 13.5k AC unit. You would have to watch your power management if you going to use microwave and/or coffee maker, but well worth the investment, and they are VERY quiet.
    2020 Transcend 27BHS
    2011 F150 SCREW 4x4 Offroad 3.73, Elocker, Ecoboost
    Gas a Just rear shocks / 5 star Adapative/Performance tunes
    Equalizer 10k hitch