User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing Reflection 287RLTS with F150 3.5 Eco and max tow

That pretty much sums it up. The 287RLTS "technically" is within the limits of my 2017 Ford F150 XLT crewcab shortbed. The payload is there, tongue weight, and overall weight with the max tow package.

But, the trailer is 32’ long and although a couple thousand pounds under my limit if it’s grossed out, it seems like a lot of trailer for the shortbed (145” WB) and lighter aluminum truck. I’ve towed that length before, but always with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I’m not so much concerned with power as I am with controllability. I intend to upgrade the stock 18” tires to LT tires, but I’ve never towed with such a short wheelbase. Well, I have towed with this truck, but the trailer is only 26’ long and less than 7000 lbs.

Background - 40+ yrs towing and motorhome experience so I’m not a noob, but I may was well be with the new F150’s with increased tow capabilities. I understand a longer heavier diesel would be better, but wanted to see if anyone has been towing these with a 150.

Thanks
    Take care,
    Greg

2017 Ford F150, 3.5 Ecoboost, 10 spd xmsn, max tow
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504s
    Downsized from 34’ Super C motorhome

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Greg @Ggimlick,

You are definitely right that you are pushing the limits .

The first one that you are likely to cross is the tongue weight. The spec 725 lbs is a dry weight. Once you add batteries, propane, cargo and a good WDH . . . you are likely to be past the 1200 lb limit of the Class IV hitch receiver.
    The traditional advice to “add tongue weight” to control sway, is not going to be possible.

Ironically, an F150 (particularly with HDPP) can tow more 5th wheel than it can TT because this gets around the bumper hitch receiver limitation.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are on the right track with questioning this set up.
    T add my experience I towed a 31' tt , about 7000# , with a '98 Chevy 1/2 ton , a ok ride but on the highways was sometimes a little interesting. Towed the same camper with a '04 Chevy 3/4 ton Ext cab 8' bed , huge difference , lots better control. I do no think you need to go " big diesel" but a heavier truck will help tremendously.

Brian

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a 34' TT and towed it with '16 Silverado 1/2ton. It was scary....I put LT tires on, timbrens, and a sway control hitch and it was still just to much trailer for that truck.
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2018 F150 XLT max tow 3.5 ECO with LT tires with WDH. We are towing a 2500rl. I think the gross weight on that TT is 7450+/-. Right at 30 feet long. Haven't weighed it but I think we are around 7000 lbs loaded.

Just got the rig in Nov and made one long trip to the Keys. The truck handled the TT fine. No problems with sway or power. WE do not have the max payload pkg. so we are close to the payload limits. We love this combo but don't think we would go to a bigger or heavier TT.

You probably could go bigger with the max payload / max tow pkg. but they are hard to find w/o ordering one. Don't know what the receiver limits are with that pkg. Ford sent me something recently saying you could get 3000+ lbs payload in a F150. Don't know what truck that would be, probably a stripped down 2wd model but that is a lot of payload for a F150. Most I have seen are 1400- 2000 lbs unless you get the max payload pkg.
    Last edited by riven1950; 04-06-2019 at 05:52 AM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info, I appreciate the input. Payload on my F150 is 1820 and of course the hitch is limited to 1200 WDH. I suspect the tongue on the loaded 287RLTS would be close to 1100 with the hitch weight added. I also know the boss would have the combo washer/dryer installed.

While within the specs of towing, I’m a bit uneasy making that jump to the 32 footer on the shortbed truck. I’ve always enjoyed towing so would hate to end up being unhappy even though that trailer really calls to us.
    Take care,
    Greg

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to keep a "safety margin", and stay about 80% of capacity. No hard and fast rules, just the way I am. You’ll see that I've ordered an F350 to pull a 12,000# (max GVWR) trailer. Some would say, "Overkill, you could do that with a 250" but that's just what I do. No harm, no foul, no looking back later, saying, "I wish I'd..."
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    At 9425 GVWR for the trailer, your max tongue weight (assuming 100 lbs for the hitch) could be be 1,325. Assuming real world, that you put about 1000 lbs of "stuff" in it, at 8224, you would be at 1,169. I'm assuming a tongue % of 13%, which is a safe, but not overly safe, number to prevent sway. You may be able to handle as low as 12% by redistributing weight, but any lower and you WILL get sway at some speed. You'd be on the edge - no big batteries and/or generator in the trailer, etc. But you would have a bit of payload available, depending on number of people, dogs, bikes, and stuff in the truck.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, these are the numbers that really help. The most we ever loaded was for a 4 mth trip when we first got the motorhome and it was almost 1500 lbs of stuff. It included air compressor, large tool box, spares, towbar, bikes, way too many cases of water, etc. since that time, the max has been 1000 and often closer to 800. I probably spent too much time at CAT scales, but curiosity gets me. :-)

When looking at this trailer, I have to add the 150 lbs for the washer/dryer I know the boss would have installed. We travel with just two of us and no longer haul bikes. She has also quit stocking enough canned goods for the long trips. Going from the 34’ coach to the 26’ trailer has reacquainted us with being prudent about weight. With the super C, I couldn’t load enough stuff to get it overweight. I don’t haul big air compressors or tons of tools either now.

When I towed before, I went with the idea I couldn’t have too much truck, so always had 3/4 and 1 tons. When we downsized, I intentionally went with the F150 to limit myself....after all these years, I should have known we were too spoiled to stay downsized. Don’t want to buy a new truck at this stage so will have to think awfully hard about what to do next. I think this may be pushing it.
    Take care,
    Greg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTDT with a 2010 F150 145" Max Tow (1857 lbs) and a 31'-7300 lbs TT. Interestingly it was fine in the mountains where there was usually lateral forces on the TT from the curves. It was out on the open roads where wind became the issue. Towing on a straight section of freeway for 20 miles was a constant two handed affair. Not white knuckle but it demanded my attention.
    I added LT tires and Super Springs to the truck. Those helped a little but weren't the holy grail of mods. I also started out with an Equalizer WDH that worked OK for a few years. Then I found a used Hensley Arrow. That was the bomb. One handed freeway cruising, zero push pull from semis. But;
    What helped the best was going to a 2500. Even though I could see the TT wandering a bit in the side view mirrors, the 2500 never moved. It was a much more in control feeling. Similar to the HA tow.
    The TT had a TW in the 950 lb range, the truck had a shell on it and loaded with stuff. My RAWR was almost maxed at 4,000 lbs. Max was 4050 lbs. Truck was also 50 lbs under the GVWR of 7650 lbs. Tow rating was IIRC 11,100 lbs. So even though the truck was way under it still didn't have the underpinnings to control the TT as well as the 2500.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast