User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonl78 View Post
    Lorna,

Can you confirm what your payload sticker is on your truck? It's the yellow sticker on the driver's side door jamb. 1600 lbs isn't out of the question but it's easy to verify.

The other thing to consider is that a Class IV hitch that's on the truck is only rated to something like 1,100 lbs. Using a WD may have an impact on that.

An Imagine 2970 has a GVWR of 9K. You said yours weighed 7680 lbs at the CAT scale. Typical hitch weight is 10-12%. That's 768 - 930 lbs. It's a lot but within spec.

Not sure what the correct answer is to getting more weight to steer axle. Check to ensure WD hitch is set correctly? Let us know what you find out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	truck.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	19174

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3019.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	933.8 KB 
ID:	19175

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately the white sticker with the yellow stripes , second pic , tells the tale. 1339# is your cargo weight.

Brian

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2013 Ram 1500 5.7 had a payload of 1440. I was pulling a 2800bh which is shorter and lighter than yours. Just couldn't get it to work well. The light weight truck with the cushy suspension had a great ride but was not a good tow vehicle for that large a camper.
    Got a 2018 Ram 2500 6.4 hemi. 3000 lb payload, heavy enough truck to control the csmper.
    My suggestion is to get an hd.
    2018 Imagine 2800bh
    2018 Ram 2500
    6.4 heni

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are probably going to look at some 2500 or 3500 trucks soon. My boss has an old Ram 2500 diesel, that he is thinking of selling. I was looking at his tags & his payload is only 1989. Which has me thinking that it might not be enough either....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lorna,

I was a bit skeptical that your truck had 1600 lb payload. There have been a few Ram 1500s in my family and they usually fall short on the payload side compared to others. It's hard to tell someone who just spent a lot of money on a new trailer and has a newer truck to go out and buy a bigger truck. It's a tough message to hear. I really struggle myself to know if there is a right answer. So many folks out there who tow that are over one or more of the listed ratings. As an example, one of my family members towed a heavy Springdale travel trailer with a Tahoe. That trailer was way too much for it. They towed it for 10 years. Wore out that Tahoe for sure but they were mindful of speed and conditions and it worked for them.

It's going to come down to your comfort level. I dont have a lot of experience towing heavy bumper pull trailers. It seems that others say it's a heavy tongue weighted trailer. Looking at the floorplan though it seems like most of the weight would be at the rear of the trailer when traveling without water in the tanks. More rear weight on a lengthy trailer means it's more apt to be squirrelly. You get the tail wagging the dog effect. More tongue weight helps so maybe it won't be that bad.

My recommendation is to try your 1500 and if it's a bear to drive or your just not comfortable with it, then look at moving up to a bigger truck. Lots of factors to consider. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can offer up advice.

Good luck. Be safe and get out and ENJOY the experience. Let us know what you decide.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonl78 View Post
    Lorna,

I was a bit skeptical that your truck had 1600 lb payload.
    The payload is not 1600 as previously stated (off the top of his head) it is 1339. So without water, it is very tight. We have learned so much in this forum, that we didn't know before we purchased the trailer, about payload weight. We thought tow weight was all that we needed to know....We are much wiser about what to look for in a truck now... We will probably keep the current truck for a while, but will be looking for a good deal on a 2500 or 3500 so that when we travel in the hilly areas, we are not sweating it. We have gone on 2 camping trips so far, and it is ok but the hubby will feel better (I think) if we had a little bigger truck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem solved this evening. Ram 2500 in our future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zadiemay View Post

Noooooo!
    Skip the 3/4 ton and just get the 1 ton, in your case since you want a Dodge, the 3500. Look at the huge difference in payload between the 2500 and 3500.

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zadiemay View Post
    Given that there's no problem in Missouri with a 3500 being considered a commercial vehicle (like there is in NY and other states) or any other "gotchas", @DaveMatthewsBand has a point.

I used the Ram website to generically configure a 2500 4x2 Limited with the 6.7L Cummins, dual alternators and auto-leveling (cool!). The net was $68,730 for a 10K GVWR.

I then configured a 3500 with the exact same options. The net was $69,630 for a 12K GVWR. For $1K--get the extra payload.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lorna,

Are you sticking with gas or going diesel? Are you going new or used? The 2019 HDs sure are beautiful!
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast