User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Storing Trailer at Florida Trailer Park Long Term

We camp in Florida for about 5 months each year in our Solitude Fifth Wheel and have decided to leave the Fifth Wheel at our Florida camp site rather than taking it home to Canada as we will not be using it in the summer in Ontario, Canada. Can anyone tell me if I should be lifting the unit and rotating the tires a little to avoid a square bottom on the tire and should I put a rubber mat between each tire and the concrete pad the trailer sits on to avoid concrete moisture from penetrating the tires?
    We will be leaving our air conditioners on set at 80 degrees and we have a humidifier inside along with packs to absorb moisture which should avoid a build up of moisture in the trailer. I am concerned about the converter charging the batteries in the hot weather in Florida and wanted to turn off the battery disconnect switch to avoid the constant charge running through the batteries. Does this thinking make sense to those of you who have experience with long term trailer storage in a Florida park?
    We have a company coming in next week to wash and wax our unit which hopefully will provide some protection from the hot Florida summer UV rays. I really appreciate the advice on summer storage in Florida from the experienced users. I always try to answer forum member questions when I see them if I feel I can add value based on my experience.
    Thank you
    Bob and Shirley (both recently retired)
    Ontario Canada
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2018 Ford Diesel King Ranch F350 Short Bed
    Pull Rite Super Glide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you mind telling me where in Florida are you storing your fifth wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few suggestions.

Do a thorough inspection of the roof and verify all sealants are intact. You want to protect during rainy season

If you have a sewer connection use a drain hose on the dehumidifier to drain into the kitchen sink and leave kitchen gray tank valve open. If you put your dehumidifier on the kitchen island make sure it won’t move due to vibration and fall off the top. Set dehumidifier to 45% RH.

Set ac to 82 degrees.

If you have internet consider some device to monitor temp and humidity remotely. Here’s one example https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Temp.../dp/B01HH7YD2Y
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are in Cross Creek RV Resort Arcadia Florida which is 2 1/2 hours south of Tampa
    Thanks
    Ontario Canada
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    Pull Rite Super Glide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry
    Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and I will put in place your recommendations
    Bob
    Ontario Canada
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    Pull Rite Super Glide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd strongly recommend you find someone to inspect your rig (inside especially) about every 2 weeks. It won't take long for it to get ruined if something happens (stray leak, AC failure, water leak - this is probably an endless list).

We live in a snowbird resort and see many folks come back every fall to moldy, wet, inoperable units; and they thought they had everything taken care of when they left.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I'd strongly recommend you find someone to inspect your rig (inside especially) about every 2 weeks. It won't take long for it to get ruined if something happens (stray leak, AC failure, water leak - this is probably an endless list).

We live in a snowbird resort and see many folks come back every fall to moldy, wet, inoperable units; and they thought they had everything taken care of when they left.
    Hi Bob @HOWITTRO,

I would strongly endorse traveldawg’s advice. I have seen what water (from any source) can do to a closed up trailer in Florida in the summer. Also, have you checked with your insurance about leaving your trailer in Florida for hurricane season?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post

That’s why I store mine in a covered storage facility in Florida. I’m paranoid about the potential of water damage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B22F550A-D9C1-4B46-A5F4-18938B9C278C.jpeg  
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are interested in your experience of leaving your Solitude in Florida. We too are from Canada and want to leave our unit on the site in Davenport Florida.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOWITTRO View Post
    We camp in Florida for about 5 months each year in our Solitude Fifth Wheel and have decided to leave the Fifth Wheel at our Florida camp site rather than taking it home to Canada as we will not be using it in the summer in Ontario, Canada. Can anyone tell me if I should be lifting the unit and rotating the tires a little to avoid a square bottom on the tire and should I put a rubber mat between each tire and the concrete pad the trailer sits on to avoid concrete moisture from penetrating the tires?
    We will be leaving our air conditioners on set at 80 degrees and we have a humidifier inside along with packs to absorb moisture which should avoid a build up of moisture in the trailer. I am concerned about the converter charging the batteries in the hot weather in Florida and wanted to turn off the battery disconnect switch to avoid the constant charge running through the batteries. Does this thinking make sense to those of you who have experience with long term trailer storage in a Florida park?
    We have a company coming in next week to wash and wax our unit which hopefully will provide some protection from the hot Florida summer UV rays. I really appreciate the advice on summer storage in Florida from the experienced users. I always try to answer forum member questions when I see them if I feel I can add value based on my experience.
    Thank you

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can store the RV in FL outside, we are here a good bit of the year FT in SE FL and it is fine. The biggest issues are:

1. The sun beating the crap out of the unit
    2. Leaving it - if something happens not much you can do about it

You should make sure that all the seams are well sealed before you leave and that the air conditioners are ratcheted down properly. Any water entry point needs to be looked at and made sure that it is sealed properly before you leave. That includes the slides, windows, roof seams, body seams etc.

If you pull the battery you need to keep it charged. It will slowly discharge disconnected. So either way it needs to get volts, I'd probably just leave it connected to the charger. You should also leave the air conditioner set for 82 or something like that and keep the unit somewhat fresh inside, otherwise you might develop mold / mildew issues over time. You could also just setup some damp rid but I imagine it will fill up before you get back. Leaving power to the unit keeps things running which is good but bad that no one is here to check on them. If something burns out it will keep running until it totally fries itself out which could be a problem. Leaving stuff most of the year inactive is also a problem as is mildew down here from closed up structures. Pick your poison.

If you wax the unit really well once a year it should hold up ok vs the sun but any Southern exposure that isn't shaded is going to fade and get beat up over time. The sun is brutal down here.

Snow birds leave their units at our ownership park all the time. They have been doing it for years. Make sure you have good insurance, we have had a few very close calls in recent years with Cat 5 storms almost making it on land.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast