User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that the registers in the front near the furnace were really blowing as they had little or no flow issues. I took some duct tape and covered 3/4 of the vent. I also went into the basement and covered 1/2 of that vent too. Now I get much more flow in the rear of the trailer and a much better heating throughout.

Remember that air going out, must go in too. Be sure there is nothing blocking the return air path. In my trailer, it is under a cabinet very near to the furnace. We had a pile of cat toys under there and I had to fish them out!

Good luck. Watch out for that vortex!
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just purchased a 2021 2800BH and had a heckuva time with the heater. It was either HOT as heck... or freezing cold. We learned after a few days (and a couple youtube searches) that our thermostat is in the AC unit on the roof and unless you have the AC's fan in the ON position, the Furrion thermostat would not read the temperature, and thus the heat was ON or OFF with no happy medium. So after figuring that out, and keeping the fan in the ON position all night, the back of the trailer bunkbeds were much cooler than the front of the trailer/parents room. My solution, although not very pretty at all, was a 20' piece of 4" dryer ducting from Home Depot mounted to the front bedroom vent. And I then ran the ducting over the floor and pointed back to the kids bunks. Its ugly. But it kept them warm. And our bedroom a bit cooler.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2021 with the same issue. I have taken it back to the dealer and was told it is working as expected. The AC fan runs every time the heat kicks on. The vent in the top bunk blows cold air on the person sleeping. I added adjustable vents to the Master bedroom and the Kitchen under the flip up table. I covered the the top bunk vent with tin foil. These adjustments seemed to help the bathroom be a little warmer.
    What genius put the thermostat in the AC needs to sleep in the top bunk on a 25 degree night. It is truly the only complaint I have about this trailer.
    2021 Grand Design 2800BH
    2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7 10k Towing
    Salt Lake City Utah Area.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldok3 View Post
    We just purchased a 2021 2800BH and had a heckuva time with the heater. It was either HOT as heck... or freezing cold. We learned after a few days (and a couple youtube searches) that our thermostat is in the AC unit on the roof and unless you have the AC's fan in the ON position, the Furrion thermostat would not read the temperature, and thus the heat was ON or OFF with no happy medium. So after figuring that out, and keeping the fan in the ON position all night, the back of the trailer bunkbeds were much cooler than the front of the trailer/parents room. My solution, although not very pretty at all, was a 20' piece of 4" dryer ducting from Home Depot mounted to the front bedroom vent. And I then ran the ducting over the floor and pointed back to the kids bunks. Its ugly. But it kept them warm. And our bedroom a bit cooler.
    We're in extended sub-zero weather for the first time this week and I discovered the same. If the fan on the thermostat is set to off and it's very cold out, the heating gets all screwed up. It's necessary to keep the fan on the thermostat set to auto so it circulates air through the overhead ducting. This does make the heat less effective because it's being routed through the cold roof, but overall the temps are more even throughout the trailer.

BTW, the vent outlets rotate so you can point them in different directions. My 2400BH doesn't have an outlet right at the top bunk so I'm not sure how much it will help in a 2800BH, but it might at least direct the flow less towards the bunk.
    Chris, Tara, our two daughters, and our dog Slate full-timing
    2021 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 Chevrolet Tahoe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found 12 volt in duct blowers on Amazon. I'm going to put one in the duct that goes to the rear bunkhouse of my 290bh and wire it to the furnace blower so it goes on and off with the furnace. Hopefully that will get more warm air back there.

Also going to split the air duct to the front bedroom and add a register in the stair treads that other models have. Then I'll change the register grill in the front bedroom to be an adjustable one and close it enough to divert more airflow from the bedroom to the main area. I think these mods will improve my heat issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had heat problems on my new 2021 transcend explorer 247 BH. All the heat came out the bedroom vent. First I tried blocking the bedroom vent to see if it made an appreciable amount of air flow to the other events. Some change but not enough to make a large difference. So I purchased a T vent pipe at menards and cut off the outer shell to expose the 4” T. I disconnected the bedroom vent and installed a dampened vent in the bedroom. Then I drilled a 4” hole between the spice rack rail and top of the spice rack opening. I picked up 3’ of 4” flexible heat duct hose and connected it to the top of the T that has a 4” only sleeve coming out. Then I cut some of the metal other end of the T that had an expanded size ring. I cut off the metal up to the expanded part. I reconnected the bedroom feed to the base of the T so that the air flow to the bedroom was at a 90 degree feed from the heater. The top part of the T goes to your new vent cut in by the spice rack. Then the expanded side of the T goes to the heater and gets clamped down with a 4” clamp. Heats great and quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNewman View Post
    I am new to RV ownership and am generally pleased with the unit. However.... the length of the heating duct from the kitchen to rear of unit makes for very poor heat distribution. I have spoken with GD and their suggestions not helpful. Anyone out there solve this problem ( besides space heater )?
    I just bought a used 2019 Imagine 2800BH. The furnace vent under the entertainment center is not THAT far from the furnace, but basically does not blow air. I understand the bathroom vent having issues, due to the distance. So, I immediately pulled out the Power Distribution Panel and looked behind. What I found explains the problem.

In my 2019 Imagine 2800BH, the vent under the entertainment console is fed by a constricted dinky little feeder vent that breaks off the main larger line that feeds the underbelly. This dinky line is very small and takes off at a right angle perpendicular to the main line. So at that angle, very little air can successfully leave the main line and move through the feeder to that specific vent in this system. I am debating if there is a way to re-engineer the feeder to come off at a 45 degree angle, and maybe with a larger feed, so that we can get a little more air at that side.

This is very, very disappointing system design from a company who acts like they are the cat's meow. Grand Design, you can do better than this if you really wanted to. I have already poked around this trailer a lot, pulling out drawers, removing panels, and so on. Some thing are okay, by I do not like a lot of what I am seeing; I highly doubt I will ever buy another used or new model from Grand Design again. For the money, you are getting a nice floor plan, but most everything else is nothing special.

For heat, when on shore power, I will be forced to use supplementary electric heaters or a LP-based heater (like catalytic). Off-grid I will use just LP to get by. This is not an arctic trailer by any means, but I knew that much at least. I still expected them to execute a heating system that didn't keep one half too hot and the other half too cold. Under 20 degrees I will be going to greater measures to stay warm. About to go through several nights between 26 and 32 now. We'll see how it goes (fingers crossed for the underbelly with the furnace) and electric heater plugged in on the bunkhouse side of the trailer.
    Last edited by freeman; 05-07-2022 at 05:24 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12