User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backsplash

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backsplash

I decided to update the camper before this year's camping season starts and install one of the peal-n-stick backsplashes in the kitchen and bathroom. One word of advice, when the instructions say to make sure the temperatures are 70 degrees or higher and the walls are also 70 and the temperatures will remain above 70 for 24 hours, they really mean it. I wanted to get the project done and the daytime temperatures were in the low to mid 60's but dropped down to the mid 40's that night. Yup, it didn't stick and I had to wait for a warm day and spray some 3M Super 77 adhesive on the back and reattach it. Not all of it pealed, maybe 30%. When I did the bathroom I went ahead and sprayed the back of each piece before installing it. That worked much better. The hardest part was using the trim pieces on the ends and corner. It was such a pain I did not use them in the bathroom. After seeing the two I wish I would have not used them in the kitchen. It does give a nice finished look but was not worth the hassle trying to get the sticky backsplash piece into the grove of the trim. Maybe I did it wrong and there was an easier way. I attached some before and after pictures. The brand I used was Tic Tac Tiles and I got them from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The tiles say they are 12"x12" but for planning purposes use 10" wide by 12" tall, the tiles overlap each other.
    If I did it again I would spray each piece before installing them like I did in the bathroom.

Take care, almost time to get the camper out. We have already made our first trip plans for the flee market at Canton, TX

Dale
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190327_124347 - Copy.jpg   20190406_134352 - Copy.jpg   20190327_124408 - Copy.jpg   20190406_134555 - Copy.jpg  
    Dale & Tammy
    Retired U. S Army and Retired Helicopter Pilot
    2021 Ford F-350, 6.7L Diesel, 4x4, Lariat Ultimate
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK (sold)
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great!
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    Looks great!
    Thanks, it really changed the looks of the camper. It adds something that was missing, oh yeah, color.

Dale
    Dale & Tammy

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale G View Post
    Thanks, it really changed the looks of the camper. It adds something that was missing, oh yeah, color.

Dale
    yes it does add some needed color and it really looks great .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mageorge View Post
    Looks great!

I appreciate the compliment but I am about to take it all down and replace it with something else. The adhesive on the brand I selected is not very strong and after being up for a while I am having troubles with it not wanting to stick. So every time we get the camper ready we have to work with it and get it to stick back up. If I take it down I think next time I will try Smart Tiles. They are a lot more expensive but get a lot better reviews and seems to have a better adhesive. Should have spent the money for the good stuff to start with. Oh well, live and learn.

Dale
    Dale & Tammy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale G View Post
    I appreciate the compliment but I am about to take it all down and replace it with something else. The adhesive on the brand I selected is not very strong and after being up for a while I am having troubles with it not wanting to stick. So every time we get the camper ready we have to work with it and get it to stick back up. If I take it down I think next time I will try Smart Tiles. They are a lot more expensive but get a lot better reviews and seems to have a better adhesive. Should have spent the money for the good stuff to start with. Oh well, live and learn.

Dale
    I think my wife is interested in something with a stone look, if you see one out searching let me know. Mike

Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mageorge View Post
    I think my wife is interested in something with a stone look, if you see one out searching let me know. Mike

When I was looking at what Smart Tiles has to offer I did notice that they had some that looked like different stone. You might check them out. They seem to get the best reviews and a lot of people on this forum have used them with good results.
    Dale
    Dale & Tammy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't buy Tic Tac Tiles, they don't stick. I have given up trying to get these to stick. I now have entire sheets peeling off. When we get back from this camping trip I am going to peel it all off and replace it with Smart Tiles which I already have on order. Should have spent the extra money to begin with for the better product. I have read a lot of reviews for the Smart Tiles and have yet to find anyone complaining they don't stick. These pictures were taken less than 24 hours after I placed the tiles back on the wall, that is how much they peeled in less than a day.

Dale
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190710_123158 - Copy.jpg   20190710_123122 - Copy.jpg   20190710_123057 - Copy.jpg   20190710_123101 - Copy.jpg  
    Dale & Tammy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second attempt at backsplash

Here is my second attempt at installing a backsplash. This time I used Smart Tiles, WOW, what a huge difference compared to the Tic/Tac Tiles. These are thicker, easier to install, and have a much better adhesive. I should have known better than trying to save some money and buy something made in China. On a positive note for the Tic/Tac Tiles, they did refund all of my purchase price. You can also order the Smart Tiles from Wal-Mart now and they were quite a bit less than anywhere else had them. These tiles are called Metro and the color is Mia, which is advertised as a seafoam green. I still haven't decided if I am going to add trim pieces but I will probably check at Lowe's the next time I am there and see what they have. I think the edge pieces gives a nice finishing touch.

Live and learn,
    Dale
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190731_152603.jpg   20190731_152728.jpg  
    Dale & Tammy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast