User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    ... Do you eat a lot of soy products? I wonder about the hormone levels in soy but I haven't done any research. I just avoid it when possible. Rational or reactionary?
    We eat tofu, soy crumbles, etc., and use soy milk. My research convinced me that soy products can be consumed several times a week without any risk. We don't depend on soy for the bulk of our protein, though. Plenty of other plant sources provide, in combination, all the amino acids you need (such as other types of beans, corn, brown rice, quinoa, and many others).

Rob

PS... of course, in our house, green chilis have to be part of almost any meal except breakfast (and then I'll eat them on my eggs when I eat eggs!).
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jack Lalanne had pretty good diet plan. He used to say if it tastes good spit it out.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Plant-based life

Jack was the man!

Too bad he isn’t around today.
    The food I cook now tastes better than the crap you find at most restaurants,
    and healthy food is far more plentiful and varied. There are way way more choices nowadays.
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 04-08-2019 at 05:09 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Plant-based life

We took a chance on this tofu-based deli meat product line a few months ago and now eat them regularly.
    The hickory smoked is my favorite, tastes just like smoked turkey breast.
    The peppered is a close 2nd and tastes like pastrami.

They're sold at Walmart.

Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 04-08-2019 at 05:09 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I misspoke -- the book was about $12 and well worth it. It has been an eye-opener.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Late to the party... was searching for recipes to help plan next week's meals.

My wife was pescetarian for a long time, but shortly after we started dating, she raided my plate for just a bite of filet mignon --- and meat was back in her diet. However, we try to eat healthy, and she actually introduced me to Dr. Furman's book, too. We are off the plan currently, and trying to get back. I'm addicted to cheese and love seafood.... so... I'm a work in progress.

Another book on our shelf is "Eat Right for Your Type" - the author suggests that folks with different blood types have different nutritional needs - this fits perfectly with @JColeman's post about red meat. It would be interesting to discover he's Type O blood.

A great vegetarian cookbook, but not for those that are sensitive to "helper words" and/or strong language, is the Thug Kitchen cookbook. I make the red pepper sauce about once a month, the chiplotle cauliflower tacos very frequently through the summer, and highly recommend the flautas.

Welcome to the adventure - from one who is both on and off the wagon. My wife and I have a personal favorite handwritten cookbook - lots of recipes. I'll share anything in there!

Scott
    Scott & Fonda
    2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
    2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
    Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
    Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
    Virginia Beach

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimpyknee View Post
    Another book on our shelf is "Eat Right for Your Type" - the author suggests that folks with different blood types have different nutritional needs - this fits perfectly with @JColeman's post about red meat. It would be interesting to discover he's Type O blood.
    I'm B Positive like my attitude.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I can share with vegan food (I was a vegan for a year since I had an autoimmune disease) is I feel like the taste of vegan food is so bland so for me to really appriciate the food is I make it more creative. I always make an effort so that my food is pleasing to the eye. MY favorite recipe I do is a fresh roll..got the idea from viatnam. It's just some lettuce, carrots and you wrap it i na rice paper and dip it with vinegar.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    Keebler -- Thank you. I just downloaded the book to my ipad. It was free. I remember Consumers Report writing that the only diet they found that worked long term was Weight Watcher's but that is not plant based alone. I wonder about the Keto diet.
    I recently met a 42 year old fellow who has lost 80 lbs, is off all his blood pressure and statin meds, and says all his blood work is now perfectly normal. He is on what he called a ketonized diet. He is a well educated guy who works with a large group of cardiovascular physicians. He said he had researched this diet carefully and continues to learn more about nutrition every day.

My belief is that since we have evolved into much different creatures than our ancestors who ate mostly what they could kill with a sharp stick, different diets work for different folks. Too much red meat causes my diverticulitis to flare up, as does too much fiber, for example.

I believe moderation is the key. No question a lot of carbohydrates and processed food is not good for us. A lot of meat works for some, a lot of vegetables and no meat works for others.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234