User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Plant-based life

I couldn’t think of a better thread title.
    Essentially, this thread was created so members can share information on plant based diets, vegetarian and vegan meals, links to books and articles on all the above.

I’m not here to defend my choices in diet or try to “convert” anyone, I’m simply looking to exchange information with like-minded people.

This thread was created at the request of members who are curious and have asked questions about how my eating habits have affected my health.

It is also for anyone who wants to learn about healthy living and extending their lifespan.

Ed
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Plant-based life

2 years ago My doctor at the VA told me that my cholesterol (which I knew had been steadily getting higher over the last few years, had gotten to the “high” and dangerous level.
    He also informed me that I was borderline diabetic, which is what really scared the crap out of me.
    I was also about 30 lbs overweight and my blood pressure was elevated. I’ve also always had stomach issues for most of my life.

After a lot of research I realized every problem I had was diet-related, so I began shifting my diet away from processed foods, fast foods and away from meat in general.

I was able to reverse every single health issue I had... by eating healthy plant “heavy” meals.

According to my doctor I’m now fit as a fiddle. I’m perfectly healthy. I feel so much better and don’t have any stomach issues anymore.

I even got into running recently and I’m looking at doing my first marathon next year.

If anyone has any interest in learning more about plant based life, I highly recommend watching a documentary called Forks over Knives” on Netflix.
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 04-08-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife has a similar story - and I joined her in the lifestyle out of convenience. It's made a big difference in my life, too. I'm a retired Army nurse but Laura's the "real expert" in our family on food and nutrition. We're happy to chime in if we can help in any way.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 04-07-2019 at 02:33 PM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I've always been the cook in the family and so I don't mind spending an hour in the kitchen to make a good meal.
    I found this guy on YouTube.
    He is a vegan chef and while I don't claim to be vegan I do eat a lot of vegan meals because they're so healthy (and very tasty).
    This guy is a top-level chef in my opinion and most of his recipes are mind-blowing.
    I've made the meatballs and they're delicious.

Here's a LINK to his channel if anyone wants to check that out.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I also follow a gal named High Carb Hannah and she has an awesome homemade vegan pizza recipe.
    I make this about once a week.
    Here's a link to her YouTube channel if you want to check that out.

LINK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To each their own but, we worked long and hard to get to the top of the food chain to go back to eating grass.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does eating pot count as vegan? If your vegan do you get potted?
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    ... so I began shifting my diet away from processed foods
    Good decision!

We started doing this 15-20 years ago when we were no longer able to read the list of ingredients on the packaging. We've steadily increased the amount of fresh fruits and vegetables we eat but still eat meat. My wife makes all meals from scratch. She makes reduced sugar vanilla ice cream (my one big weakness that I've cut way back on), yogurt, pasta and bread. She makes our flour by grinding the wheat and even makes the vanilla for the ice cream (vanilla beans and alcohol). We buy organic for those foods where it makes the most sense. We've always avoided the fat-free foods where they substitute chemicals to make the food (almost) palatable. We use real butter, whole milk, real maple syrup, etc. We basically just eat a balanced diet and avoid all processed junk. Works for us.

I've also started avoiding alcohol. The older I get, the worse it makes me feel and I know it isn't good for me anyway. I usually go several months between beers now where I might have had a couple beers a week in the past.

I've never had weight, blood pressure, cholesterol or A1C problems so I'm lucky there. I also do a lot of cardio exercise daily so that helps.
    Last edited by bertschb; 04-08-2019 at 08:59 AM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Plant-based life

Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Good decision!

We started doing this 15-20 years ago when we were no longer able to read the list of ingredients on the packaging. We've steadily increased the amount of fresh fruits and vegetables we eat but still eat meat. My wife makes our ice cream, yogurt and bread - including milling wheat into flour. She makes all meals from scratch. We buy organic for those foods where it makes the most sense. We've always avoided the fat-free foods where they substitute chemicals to make the food (almost) palatable. We use real butter, whole milk, real maple syrup, etc. We basically just eat a balanced diet and avoid all processed junk. Works for us.

I've also started avoiding alcohol. The older I get, the worse it makes me feel and I know it isn't good for me anyway. I usually go several months between beers now where I might have had a couple beers a week in the past.

I've never had weight, blood pressure, cholesterol or A1C problems so I'm lucky there. I also do a lot of cardio exercise daily so that helps.
    Yea I hear ya, we also cut way back on alcohol after seeing multiple studies showing the damage it does to your body.

I also agree that simply cutting out processed foods as you have is extremely beneficial.
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 04-07-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You deleted my post. Please explain why. It was a tongue-in-cheek attempt at humor. It was also how I live my life. A little bit of authority does not grant largesse. Also0, I am always ready to learn a little something.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast