User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
    Who do you find to talk with on the CB? I remember the CB craze back in the 80s I think it was but it got pretty bad and the truckers were not interested in talking to a bunch of 4-wheelers, I finally gave it up. The last few times I tuned into channel 19 it was definitely not "G" rated.
    You are very correct on the language, but now a lot of truckers are not running 19. I find it varies across the states. Ask at a fuel stop and see if you can get the information. Out west I found 16 good and 21 down south (mostly logging trucks). Try scanning a few channels. MY radio is not your typical CB so that might make a difference. Also pay attention to how they phrase themselves and try to copy that. The language of the 80's and 90's is long gone - just don't say 10-4 good buddy

Now back to the tight fuel pumps and the other problem of diesel handles not always being green, especially at BP fuel stops. I have done a lot of maneuvering only to find the fuel pump does not have diesel. Now the DW gets out on some to check for me.
    Last edited by powerscol; 04-18-2019 at 11:21 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tips on using the truck lanes

I stay at the pump while DW goes inside with the pump number. She calla me when she has presented the card and the pump is reset. I keep a right hand work glove on the back seat floor of the truck to handle the pump handle. After filling, DW gets the receipt, I pull forward just like the “ big boys” do, and go inside to do my business. And life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    We normally look for the Love stations as they seem to have the most room between the pumps and the building making getting out easy enough. I don't like going to the truck pumps in the back. They wouldn't take a personal credit card, which means you have to make two trips inside for one transaction. One to either give them your card or to prepay. Second trip to get your card back or your change or credit on your card. For someone who really doesn't want to have to go in in the first place and to have to do it twice and stand in line twice it is really aggravating. Another thing that is really aggravating to me is that they are always filthy. You end up standing in diesel fuel making a mess of your shoes and the handles are full of diesel fuel getting some on your hands. Now you also have to go to the bathroom to wash up but you still end up smelling like diesel fuel.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    We normally look for the Love stations as they seem to have the most room between the pumps and the building making getting out easy enough. I don't like going to the truck pumps in the back. They wouldn't take a personal credit card, which means you have to make two trips inside for one transaction. One to either give them your card or to prepay. Second trip to get your card back or your change or credit on your card. For someone who really doesn't want to have to go in in the first place and to have to do it twice and stand in line twice it is really aggravating. Another thing that is really aggravating to me is that they are always filthy. You end up standing in diesel fuel making a mess of your shoes and the handles are full of diesel fuel getting some on your hands. Now you also have to go to the bathroom to wash up but you still end up smelling like diesel fuel.
    We almost always use the truck lanes. I have DW note the pump number and take the credit card to the cashier. She calls me when I can start pumping. I keep an old work glove handy for my pumping hand. Haven’t figured a solution to the messy concrete though.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK I will add my two cents here. I was once at a station that had an awning too low for a fifth wheel. I was just fueling up my car at the time. But I saw a guy with a big trailer pull up. He saw the awning was too low. So he pulled the truck forward just enough for the pump to reach his diesel filler cap (about midships). The tall trailer never hit the awning because he had stopped short enough so only part of his truck was under it. When he was done, he just backed up and went around the awning and out. GENIUS!!!

I would recommend a spotter if you ever try this though
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    What the heck????? Are you kidding me? I really am starting to think humanity is being replaced with people who think they are the last living soul on the planet and act accordingly.
    Seriously, what kind of tool keeps his dog in the camper when driving?
    Dave & Becky
    Always camping with the K9s. The boys are grown and rarely join us anymore.
    Colorado Springs, CO
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS
    2012 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB 6.7L PSD
    (now retired) Mildly massaged 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L PSD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Secondly, I guess I'm in the minority but I avoid those places (Flying J, Pilot, etc.) like the plaque. I think they are generally way over pricing their fuel, way too busy and so many idiots! I'm so glad I have no fear when it comes to fueling stations. I'll go anywhere. In all my travels there "may" be 1 station I chickened out on.

Paul, we may be kindred spirits. I've covered most of the Midwest without turning away from more than one station. I tend to use Gasbuddy to find the lowest price for diesel close to the interstate and go for it. I've gotten into some sketchy spots around Topeka and Cincinnati... and East St. Louis too!

I hate everything about those truck stop fuel joints. I've never gotten a bad load of fuel at a smaller station, I tend to believe if their price is low they must be moving a decent quantity. I did drag my old TT through a station in Columbia MO. once, but it had a lot less clearance than the GD.
    Dave & Becky
    Always camping with the K9s. The boys are grown and rarely join us anymore.
    Colorado Springs, CO
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS
    2012 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB 6.7L PSD
    (now retired) Mildly massaged 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L PSD

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW And this may have been pointed out in another post. When I had a gasser, I was so frustrated like you guys, I added a bed tank. At least then I go about 600 miles. Upgraded to new coach and truck with diesel. Of course now I can go about 450 miles with OEM tank. Now that I can use the Big Truck lane, I don't need too. LOL !!!!
    Thank you!

2021 310GKR Solitude
    2022 GMC Denali - Duramax

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bucees on I-10 in Alabama has 120 gas pumps. And when we were there, I think everyone was full... But, great food, and dang near a tourist attraction on their own.
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENN22 View Post
    Maybe this thread could evolve into a new thread of "Big Rig Friendly" Gas or Diesel stations that we use frequently?
    I second the thought of having Gas Friendly by Interstate/State thread here. Driving across NY southern tier - had to pass by a couple of gas stations off the interstate that we couldn't get into because the gas lanes were not parallel to the road...

How do you know if a Flying J (or other truck stop) have gas lanes or "RV lanes"?

So living in PA - I could check out my local I-80 and I-81 fuel stops and post results here. I am unaware of any Apps that actually call out "gas - friendly" big rig fuel stations.

So -
    I-80 Buckhorn exit 232
    - Travel America Shell station - front gas pumps are accessible.
    - Exxon is wide enough

I-80 PA 339 exit 242
    - Delta Gas (new) easy pull-thru
    - Loves may be okay in front if you can get an end pump
    - Sunoco across the street is NOT okay...Semi truck pumps would block your exit path

I-81 Bear Creek Exit 170A
    - Sunoco - end pump then side exit
    Last edited by TS_Breezes; 08-23-2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Added exit
    2020 F-450 Lariat, CrewCab 8' bed, diesel
    2020 Solitude S-series 2930rl-R

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We plan fuel and doggie rest stops as part of the trip planning. Google Earth street view solves most of my fueling issues.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast