Thread: Broken Weld

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broken Weld

Howdy

Am getting ready for our first outing. Today’s task was to finally install the Progressive Industries HW50C. When getting things ready, I discovered a broken weld

This weld is located on the curb side in the pass thru. I had to remove the panels that line the left side of the pass thru as you view it from the curb side. The location of the broken weld is just beyond where the panel straighten’s out. It isn’t far from where the plumbing goes down to the waste tanks

Should I be worried. Sorry about the rotated picture. I tried to fix it but failed miserably

Added a second picture taken from the curbside passthru opening. The broken weld is located where it looks like a piece of wood is missing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F061EA33-FC12-4D26-93CB-DCAEECBCE33F.jpg   357D6852-6FA7-4F84-B0F3-EB94FA7F09A0.jpg  
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 04-08-2019 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Turned pictures upright
    Frank and Harriett
    2018 303 RLS, Feb 2018 Build
    2009 2500HD Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Short Bed
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a steel weld? A little bigger picture from farther away may help in seeing where this is at.
    If it is steel then it would be on the frame of the trailer and could be a structural issue. If it is aluminum maybe not as bad.

Brian

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Frank,

Similar to Brian’s question, I am trying to figure out exactly where this weld is located? It almost looks like a “repair” weld rather than a “production” weld. If you can point me to exactly the right area, I will check my 303.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a repair on aluminum by someone that doesn't know how to weld aluminum. I find the fact that the joint has opened up a little concerning. That warrants some additional investigation.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't offer any insight, but maybe this will help others that can
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InkedCapture_LI.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	19124
    2019 Reflection 28BH
    2016 Ford F-250 SRW 6.2L
    B&W Patriot Slider 18K

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that is so much better

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankd View Post
    Howdy

Am getting ready for our first outing. Today’s task was to finally install the Progressive Industries HW50C. When getting things ready, I discovered a broken weld

This weld is located on the curb side in the pass thru. I had to remove the panels that line the left side of the pass thru as you view it from the curb side. The location of the broken weld is just beyond where the panel straighten’s out. It isn’t far from where the plumbing goes down to the waste tanks

Should I be worried. Sorry about the rotated picture. I tried to fix it but failed miserably

Added a second picture taken from the curbside passthru opening. The broken weld is located where it looks like a piece of wood is missing
    Hi Frank,

I turned your pictures upright so that we can see the problem more easily.
    I agree with Jim @J&G garage that this looks like an improperly done repair weld.

This is the front end of the main floor aluminum frame. There is little load in this area because the aluminum floor frame is supported by the steel frame cross members underneath at many locations. It is curious that this weld has opened up so far after it was (poorly) welded. This aluminum is extremely thin. It would be difficult for a qualified welder to get a good weld to these original frame pieces without welding on a reinforcing patch/gusset.

Since this is not a part of the steel frame structure of the trailer, I would not be too worried about it. Anybody less than a experienced welder with a TIG machine is likely to make a bigger mess of this by trying to fix it. I would take an accurate measurement of the gap and just keep an eye on it for a while. If there is relative movement (the gap gets wider or narrower) then it needs to be investigated further.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankd View Post
    Thanks, that is so much better
    Hi Frank,

On turning pictures upright . . .

Save the picture to your computer desktop. Open it and either turn it upright or, if it is upright, make a small edit . . . like shrink it a small amount diagonally. Then re-save it to your desktop. It should now post upright from there to the forum. (I have no idea why this works . . . but, it seems to).

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things haven't changed. 2019 303RLS same welder. Its at the dealer now for multiple issues and this is one. I chose to get it documented and specificaly no welding be done to it. My guess is a bracket will be screwed over it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5880.jpg  
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justa5th View Post
    Things haven't changed. 2019 303RLS same welder. Its at the dealer now for multiple issues and this is one. I chose to get it documented and specificaly no welding be done to it. My guess is a bracket will be screwed over it.
    An aluminum weld (MIG or TIG) should be gas shielded . . . there should be no black soot around the weld .
    We are travelling at the moment, but when we get home in a few days, I will open up my 2015 303RLS to see if it is the same.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast