Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

310-GK Entry door clearance

I have been looking at installing the following door handle, or something like it:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Screen-.../dp/B0012GTVVA

I am thinking this would be a good option to protect the door from people that are, um, less than delicate.
    My question is the clearance between the closed door and the steps when they are in the stowed position. Can I fit a bar in? or would it make the steps beat on the bar, and hence the door, when travelling.
    I won't be picking up the unit for another week, but was looking to get the handle (and some other stuff) ahead of time.
    Thanks.
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed the wider version on my 384 and I have no issue. Granted I didnt look at it shut, but the door didnt have any issues shutting, nor did it leave any marks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had one on our 303 for about 18 months. We have no inside steps however we have had no issues.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrich82 View Post
    I just installed the wider version on my 384 and I have no issue. Granted I didnt look at it shut, but the door didnt have any issues shutting, nor did it leave any marks
    My biggest concern was how much will the steps bounce around in the stowed position. I assume they lock in place somehow, with minimal movement. I believe you have answered my question. Just remember, Im the new guy that likes to worry about all the details,...probably too much.
    Thanks.
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post
    I have been looking at installing the following door handle, or something like it:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Screen-.../dp/B0012GTVVA

I am thinking this would be a good option to protect the door from people that are, um, less than delicate.
    My question is the clearance between the closed door and the steps when they are in the stowed position. Can I fit a bar in? or would it make the steps beat on the bar, and hence the door, when travelling.
    I won't be picking up the unit for another week, but was looking to get the handle (and some other stuff) ahead of time.
    Thanks.
    We have two of those bars. We also have the fold-in Lippert One Step solid steps.

The first bar was installed about five inches above the center panel of the screen door (the panel that contains the latch opener and sliding plastic panel that covers it).

We liked it a lot - it stiffened the flimsy screen door, provided a handle for more easily swinging the door open or closed, and provided a handgrip for steadying oneself when climbing the steps.

So we bought a second one, which was installed with beautiful symmetry about five inches BELOW the center panel of the door. We liked that one for about a week too, until it came time to move the trailer. On folding the stairs in I found that the second bar perfectly aligned with the latching mechanism on the bottom of the stairs and we could not close the trailer's door.

The bar had to be removed, and will one day be re-installed lower down near the bottom of the screen door, primarily as a grip for steadying when starting to mount the stairs. The bars are comfortably solid when installed.
    Last edited by boyscout; 04-10-2019 at 11:24 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    We have two of those bars. We also have the fold-in Lippert One Step solid steps.

The first bar was installed about five inches above the center panel of the screen door (the panel that contains the latch opener and sliding plastic panel that covers it).

We liked it a lot - it stiffened the flimsy screen door, provided a handle for more easily swinging the door open or closed, and provided a handgrip for steadying oneself when climbing the steps.

So we bought a second one, which was installed with beautiful symmetry about five inches BELOW the center panel of the door. We liked that one for about a week too, until it came time to move the trailer. On folding the stairs in I found that the second bar perfectly aligned with the latching mechanism on the bottom of the stairs and we could not close the trailer's door.

The bar had to be removed, and will one day be re-installed lower down near the bottom of the screen door, primarily as a grip for steadying when starting to mount the stairs. The bars are comfortably solid when installed.
    Ok, now this is a bit more interesting. I never thought of placing a second one near the bottom of the door and it sounds like a very good idea. Both for stability (mine and the doors') and it might act as a toe kick as well.
    So now I am thinking about the bar handle at the normal 'top' push height and one of those three arm aluminum ones (low profile) at the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-43977-S...ateway&sr=8-22

I've got my hands full until the 15th when I take delivery (hopefully) of the 310. I'll report back on how this turns out.
    Thanks.
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post
    Ok, now this is a bit more interesting. I never thought of placing a second one near the bottom of the door and it sounds like a very good idea. Both for stability (mine and the doors') and it might act as a toe kick as well. So now I am thinking about the bar handle at the normal 'top' push height and one of those three arm aluminum ones (low profile) at the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-43977-S...ateway&sr=8-22
    I have no experience with that second type, but on the Lippert One Step (you may have something different on your trailer) there is less than an inch between the latching mechanism of the folded-in step and the screen door. Even that 3-bar thing you're looking at probably wouldn't fit there.

However there is about 15" of vertical space between the door sill and the latching handle for the *stairs* (emphasis that I'm not referring to the latching handle for the screen door) which is likely plenty of room to install either another of the single bars or the 3-bar one you're looking at.

Again, you may have a different fold-in stair in which case my dimension advice is not reliable. Grand Design used the Lippert stair until at least late 2017 (well into 2018 model production) and then switched to another stair product.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will this Camco Screen Door Cross Bar Handle work attaching to the (NON) Screen doors in a 2014 GD momentum? I know this thread is about a 310-GK, but since it was the only thread I found that applied to this Camco handles I thought I would post here. I have the handles from a previous 5th wheel, and they attached easily, but the GD Momentum I have does not have screen doors, and instead the inner doors have tinted glass instead of screens. The only place to attach these handles would be a less than 1/4" frame channel and it appears to me that the glass in the door goes into the channel. If you locate the bar in the center of the crossbar where it doesn't not interfere with the main handle and lock, the bottom set of screws would probably go in with no issue and there is no channel there, but the top screws would go into that channel and depending on how far the glass is seated in that channel, you would run the risk of screwing into the glass and no doubt cracking it. Has anyone run into this issue or had success installing these in the non screen doors?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenwarrior View Post
    Has anyone run into this issue or had success installing these in the non screen doors?
    I have not yet installed this on my trailer (310-GK). It was my intention to do this last summer but, somehow things have gotten away from me on this.
    As I understand your install, I would have the same concerns as you do with the glass. By the time you get a screw in and hopefully avoid the glass, there is not much aluminum left to hold things together. The 1/4" would make me very uncomfortable and I would be looking for another option.
    Things that come to mind are 3M VHB tape, glass antenna adhesive or a suction cup handle for the glass. Not fond of these, just thinking out loud.

I would expect someone here has solved this issue, you might have to post as a new thread.

Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 Solitude 310GK.