User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lack of Insulation between Pass-Thru and Bedroom - 315RLTS

While working on a different project (inverter install) I was very surprised to find the wall between the front storage area and the bedroom has no insulation. None. There's even gaps in the woodwork that allow the free exchange of air between the spaces. There's no insulation in the ceiling (closet floor), either.

I'm thinking of adding garage door insulation panels in this area before I seal it up behind the new electrical items I'm installing.

Thoughts?

Pictures should tell the story.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide1.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	19199

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide2.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	19200
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Howard,
    I think solid block foil-faced styrofoam or polyisocyranute panels would (nicely and neatly) insulate that wall area.
    Most insulation properties are in the first few R values anyway. Anything above R 7 is a point of diminishing returns.
    HD has 2" foil-faced white foam board thats very reasonable for your needs here.

Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This seems to be by design. Mine has no insulation between the basement and living space in the wall near the stairs or the bathroom and bedroom floor above the basement and passthru.
    Appears only the outside shell of the RV gets some insulation.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This explains a lot. I noticed that a lot of cold air would come through the closet and in the summer a lot of hot air would come through. I have been thinking about adding insulation and exploring where it should go but it looks like you already did the hard work - .

I'll be interested in what you decide to use for insulation.
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think thats common across the industry unless you get some super special cold climate unit. It doesn't take much poking around in any RV to feel drafts of cold air when pulling things apart. One thing I look for is how the area at the top of the storage areas are finished off. Some have huge gaps and some look tight. Even without insulation behind the wall, a tight fight and finish would help to deter a lot of cold air.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A question might be , If this gets well insulated and the pass thru becomes cooler/warmer and the living space is the opposite will this cause condensation on one side or the other of the foam insulation?

Brian

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    A question might be , If this gets well insulated and the pass thru becomes cooler/warmer and the living space is the opposite will this cause condensation on one side or the other of the foam insulation?

Brian
    I know there's vapor barriers and the like but haven't given this much thought. I'll proceed with caution!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I know there's vapor barriers and the like but haven't given this much thought. I'll proceed with caution!
    Hi Howard,

GDRV does not use their "foil" insulation like a true vapour barrier. They use it as "reflective insulation".

A true vapour barrier is placed on the warm side of the insulation and completely sealed so that moisture in the warmer air does not reach a colder surface where it can condense. The layer of foil laid loosely inside the coroplast on the outside of the fibreglass batt insulation (if there is any) does not accomplish a vapour barrier.

In my Reflection 5th wheel there is absolutely no insulation between the pass through storage area and the living space. In fact . . . air flow between these two areas is specifically provided for, since this is the air return path to the furnace. There is foil along the inside of the coroplast under the tanks, but not aft of the water tank. There is fibreglass batt insulation in the spaces between the aluminum frames for the floors. There is no batt insulation above the foil on the coroplast (as there is in Solitudes . . . I think). This is probably a good thing, because no matter how careful or lucky you are, the inside of the coroplast gets wet.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    You probably know this, but for those that don't take a look at post #1 and the first picture. Along the front edge as you look into the pass-thru there is a drip tray that has an electrical cord access port. This drip tray is nothing but a thin piece of plastic. There's a tray on both ends of the pass-thru. They provide almost no barrier to the heat (or cold) from the outside.

If I put foam garage door insulation panels on that bedroom wall and pass-thru ceiling, do you think I'll do more harm than good? The objective is to slow down the transfer of heat and cold between the pass-thru and the bedroom and closet.

Here's specifically the product I am referencing: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Insulfoam-C...ation/50244957

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    . . .
    Hi Howard,

I don't see any problem with insulating that wall . . . this has to help somewhat. I would first concentrate on caulking all the gaps . . . I expect that this is the main source of cold air. Does your pass-through storage have a ducted heat source from the furnace? I doubt that you would ever be camping in really cold weather, but as mentioned earlier, keeping the living area warmer means letting the storage area get colder.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast