Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goose neck vs traditional hitch

Pulled the trigger, after all the great ideals and info we purchased the Ram bighorn 3500 cumins diesel to pull our Solitude 369rl, last question what are the advantages of goose neck hitch vs the traditional hitch, is one better than the other.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both do the same thing. Only advantage to a gooseneck is if you haul other gooseneck trailers.

Disadvantage is that the Lippert frame warranty is voided if you use an adapter to convert to gooseneck.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both types of trailer, and both types of hitches. The Gooseneck hitch with a 2-5/16" ball works great on a Gooseneck Trailer with a gusset frame made for the types of force a gooseneck will put on it. Installing a gooseneck adapter to the bottom of a fifth wheel pin box, is not what fifth wheel trailer frames are designed to handle. Both hitches have their intended use, I would never consider pulling my fifth wheel with a gooseneck ball, the ease of hookup with a fifth wheel hitch is worth the expense. The Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel connection is a different type of solution, they are actually setup like a fifth wheel hitch. I would check with Grand Design before I bought a hitch that may void your warranty. I believe Lippert is still not sold on the Andersen system, they do approve of the Reese Goosebox for their frames. To answer your question about one better than the other, the hitch intended for a specific trailer is always better than a one size fits all. Do you pull Gooseneck trailers too?
    Steve and Schlonda- Virgie, Kentucky
    2017 Momentum 328M
    Morryde 8K Independent Suspension, Disk Brakes
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    Airlift Wireless Air
    B&W Companion Slider

DennisK
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1379 View Post
    Pulled the trigger, after all the great ideals and info we purchased the Ram bighorn 3500 cumins diesel to pull our Solitude 369rl, last question what are the advantages of goose neck hitch vs the traditional hitch, is one better than the other.
    Do as I did.., get the B&W turnover ball system. That way you will have both or a slick bed in case you don't want either.

Harlech
    I have the same setup as Dennis with the B&W Turnover and Companion 5th wheel hitch, I love it as it only takes me about 10 minutes to pull the full hitch and have a slick bed after. Stores perfectly under the unit when we are parked for long times.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 369RL with a Reese Goose Box. It works great. Does not take any space in the bed of the truck. And it does not void the Lippert warranty.
    John and Lisa
    2014 Solitude 369RL #1849
    2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD

Hbillsmith
    The 2500hd comes in 3 different boxes, long is 8ft, standard is now 6.6ft (double aka extended cab), and short 5.5ft bed (crew cab). Would like to hear from Andersen Ultimate and Goosebox users on clearance experience.

Hbillsmith
    In particular on the 6.6ft variety.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on buying your RAM. Did you buy a new one with a Long box? What differential rating did you get? I recommend sticking with a 5th wheel hitch although I don't have any experience with a goose neck if for nothing else, I have found its easier to stay with the standard equipment. If your issue is the available space in the bed then select the fifth wheel hitch that mounts on a gooseneck ball.
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1379 View Post
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Andersen hitch, which uses the goose neck ball as the injection to the bed. It does NOT kid any warranty, place additional stress on the king pin or weight as much as a std hitch. At 75 pounds is is easily removed (in about 2 minutes) and leaves an empty bed. I have no chucking and full articulation. If interested check out www.andersenhitches.com
    KZ and Terry Kleinheitz, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Meka and Prissy (Social butterflies in Dachshound bodies)
    2015 379FL Solitude
    2014 Ram 3500, Crew Cab, Laramie, Cummins, Auto, 4X4, Long Bed, DRW, Andersen Hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast