Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Westlake tires?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westlake tires?

3 of us did a trip to Death Valley last week. One, a '15 Momentum 349M class, one a '17 Momentum 328M class, and mine a '18 Momentum 328M class. My two friends had Westlake load range E tires and both had tire separations on the way home. My rig came with load range G tires. I had no issues. Did GD, perhaps, realize that load range E was not enough tire for our toyhaulers and go with load range G on my year?
    2022 Silverado Duramax/Allison 2500 HD
    2018 Momentum 328
    2018 Polaris RZR
    2005 Polaris Sportsman 500

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freewayrandy View Post
    3 of us did a trip to Death Valley last week. One, a '15 Momentum 349M class, one a '17 Momentum 328M class, and mine a '18 Momentum 328M class. My two friends had Westlake load range E tires and both had tire separations on the way home. My rig came with load range G tires. I had no issues. Did GD, perhaps, realize that load range E was not enough tire for our toyhaulers and go with load range G on my year?
    I think your observation is right on as many of us have shared over the last couple of years on the forum. Thanks, for sharing this as it helps to confirm what may or may not be the issue. Hopefully there was not any or little damage.

It is interesting how a larger % of the tire issues occur on toy haulers. Hopefully it is not another issue or a combination of things.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both my friends had significant damage. Too bad Westlake won't own up to this.
    2018 Momentum 328
    2018 Polaris RZR

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not put the blame solely on Westlake , GD or Lippert designs these rigs and I think used the wrong size and weight tire for the task at hand. Not defending Westlake but just 2 cents worth.

Brian

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freewayrandy View Post
    I believe so IMHO. Also realized the springs and axles are undersized on the 2600RB and 2800BH.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    I would not put the blame solely on Westlake , GD or Lippert designs these rigs and I think used the wrong size and weight tire for the task at hand. Not defending Westlake but just 2 cents worth.

Brian

Agreed. GDRV and other manufacturers are ordering the components from Lippert, Dexter, Lionshead, etc. and assembling these rigs. When these components are ordered/delivered to the manufacturer these suppliers have no control over what is done with them from there.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was explained at last year's NorCal GDRV rally that GD had consulted with Lions Head early in the design process as to load range for tires on their trailers. Lions Head recommended load range E tires for the larger trailers. Seems that these tires had too low a load range for the weight of the trailers. This caused tire failures as the tires were always overloaded. Around a year ago GD started putting load range G tires on the larger trailers and this seems to have reduced the number of tire failures.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    It was explained at last year's NorCal GDRV rally that GD had consulted with Lions Head early in the design process as to load range for tires on their trailers. Lions Head recommended load range E tires for the larger trailers. Seems that these tires had too low a load range for the weight of the trailers. This caused tire failures as the tires were always overloaded. Around a year ago GD started putting load range G tires on the larger trailers and this seems to have reduced the number of tire failures.
    Jim - big thanks for sharing this.......good post ! Possibly this is why a number of members are sharing similar feedback based on hearing this from GDRV team members. It seems to have some merit as posts regarding tire issues on later years models seem to be nearly non-existent.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    Thanks for this Jim. It surely answers my question.
    2018 Momentum 328
    2018 Polaris RZR

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Searching on this forum didn't turn up the answer so I will ask here:

Is the Goodyear Endurance offered in 16 inch G rated size that will fit the Momentum? I ask specifically about the Endurance because to my knowledge it is the only American Made ST tire.

What are others running on their Momentum's once the Westlakes wear out?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast