User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine 2800BH suspension upgrades installed

In preparation for this year's camping season, we've had some suspension upgrades installed on our 2018 Imagine 2800BH.

The first upgrade is commonly described on this forum - replacing the stock solid equalizers with the MORryde CRE 3000 suspension system, and replacing the stock suspension bolts and shackles with the MORryde Heavy Duty Wet Bolt and Shackle Kit.

The second upgrade has been described by a few other owners on this forum as well - replacing the stock 1,750-lb. leaf springs (3,500-lb. Dexter axles) with 2,500-lb. leaf springs. Our 2800BH is nearly at its 7,495-lb. GVWR when loaded for a weekend camping trip (tanks empty) due to the fact that the UVW from the factory was only 930 lbs. below the GVWR. While we haven't experienced the problem of tires rubbing on the underside of the floor that several other Imagine owners have reported, we didn't have an overabundance of tire clearance either. With Grand Design changing to 4,400-lb. axles for the 2019 model year on the 2800BH and 2600RB models, it seems apparent that 1,750-lb. leaf springs were just not sufficient for these trailers. The ideal upgrade would have been swap out axles as well as leaf springs for heavier-rated components, but upgrading the axles would have also required new wheels with a different bolt pattern. We'll give the heavier-rated springs a try with our existing axles/wheels/tires.

We had the installation work done by a local truck & RV service shop that charged a very fair rate for their labor. Besides the suspension upgrades, we also had them clean, inspect, and re-pack the wheel bearings, replace the hub seals, and inspect the brake drums and shoes.

I was amazed at how much quieter the trailer was when I rolled out of the parking lot leaving the shop today. You might not realize how noisy the stock suspension is until you make the swap for the MORryde components. We'll make our first weekend camping trip of the season in a few weeks; about 80 miles round trip. We towed our Imagine a little more than 3,000 miles last camping season. With these upgrades and service work, we'll feel confident doing the same thing again this season.

Here are some links to the suspension upgrade components that we used -

MORryde CRE 3000 Suspension System
    MORryde Heavy Duty Shackle Kit
    Universal Group 2,500-lb. 4 leaf double-eye springs
    Redline U-Bolt Kit
    Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease

Here's a photo with the suspension upgrades installed -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190412_172158299_HDR - Edited.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	19276
    Last edited by jw^2 family; 04-12-2019 at 08:25 PM. Reason: fix photo that didn't display
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The MORryde CRE 3000 looks like a really nice system. Let us know how it rides after a couple of trips.
    Chuck & Robin, LuLu and Georgie
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    2019 2670MK
    5.7 Toyota Tundra TRD with Towing Package
    TRD sway bar & Firestone air bags

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice feedback on the 2800BH upgrades. Here is some feedback on the upgrades to my Imagine with 3500 lb axles which may also help. When I upgraded from having tire contact I spoke with Lippert who would not provide heavier springs without the consent of GDRV. I spoke with a representative at GDRV who mentioned the frame would not handle the heavier 2200 lb springs as an upgrade from the 1750 lb springs. Since that time, I've seen GD approve the heavier springs but it seems they are doing this if the trailer is equipped with 3 inch axles. So I called GDRV who now confirms this after they looked up my VIN to determine the axle size. Currently I have the free replacement 1750 lb springs with one inch riser blocks, CRE-3000, the Heavy duty shackle kit and the MORryde X factor bracket and have been monitoring the springs which so far are holding up. I also used the Mobil1 synthetic grease in my bearings after the leaking seal incident. Its nice to know that there is now an approval should the heavier springs are needed but I've also been thinking of installing a 500-600 lb timbren or sumo spring option for the additional support but also to aid in reducing front axle rise on heavy braking and to function as bump stops for uneven surfaces.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Nice feedback on the 2800BH upgrades. Here is some feedback on the upgrades to my Imagine with 3500 lb axles which may also help. When I upgraded from having tire contact I spoke with Lippert who would not provide heavier springs without the consent of GDRV. I spoke with a representative at GDRV who mentioned the frame would not handle the heavier 2200 lb springs as an upgrade from the 1750 lb springs. Since that time, I've seen GD approve the heavier springs but it seems they are doing this if the trailer is equipped with 3 inch axles. So I called GDRV who now confirms this after they looked up my VIN to determine the axle size. Currently I have the free replacement 1750 lb springs with one inch riser blocks, CRE-3000, the Heavy duty shackle kit and the MORryde X factor bracket and have been monitoring the springs which so far are holding up. I also used the Mobil1 synthetic grease in my bearings after the leaking seal incident. Its nice to know that there is now an approval should the heavier springs are needed but I've also been thinking of installing a 500-600 lb timbren or sumo spring option for the additional support but also to aid in reducing front axle rise on heavy braking and to function as bump stops for uneven surfaces.
    Jim

Being as GD has discovered this axel problem , will they be replacing your axels with the upgraded size?

Brian

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Jim

Being as GD has discovered this axel problem , will they be replacing your axels with the upgraded size?

Brian
    Brian,

Based on the information I had read and what GDRV has stated, if you have a three inch diameter axle, the suspension system will handle the 2200 lb springs. Its not so much an axle problem but rather under sized springs which can result in little tire to floor clearance. For now, I will leave my 1750 lb springs installed and will monitor them for any fatigue. DW and I have also been paying close attention to loading the trailer for better balance and using the under dinette storage for heavier items. Also contemplating on using the lighter springs with the additional support from add on rubber springs. These add ons may help during heavy braking and uneven boon docking locations where they would function as bump stops to prevent spring overtravel.
    Jim
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim's statement mirrors what I learned from Lippert when I queried them about the axle on my 2600RB. The 2600RB axle beam is used in much higher rated axle assemblies.

Our 2019 suspension upgrades included:
    Morryde CRE3000
    Wet Bolts
    2250 lbs springs
    GY Endurance Tires
    Spring hanger support welding.

All this has raised the TT about an inch as the spring specs indicated.

We have 9000 miles on our TT and plan at least 6000 this year. The downside is now it pulls much smoother but, I can't pinpoint exactly why?

Here's a link to the spring information from LCI https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...056#post216056
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
    Jim's statement mirrors what I learned from Lippert when I queried them about the axle on my 2600RB. The 2600RB axle beam is used in much higher rated axle assemblies.

Our 2019 suspension upgrades included:
    Morryde CRE3000
    Wet Bolts
    2250 lbs springs
    GY Endurance Tires
    Spring hanger support welding.

All this has raised the TT about an inch as the spring specs indicated.

We have 9000 miles on our TT and plan at least 6000 this year. The downside is now it pulls much smoother but, I can't pinpoint exactly why?

Here's a link to the spring information from LCI https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...056#post216056
    Rivercityjeff,

Nice feedback. What did this do for your final loaded tire to floor clearance?

Jim
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 04-16-2019 at 04:25 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, the tire to floor clearance (loaded) is 3 7/8”.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Rivercityjeff,

Nice feedback. What did this do for your final loaded tire to floor clearance?

Jim
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my 2018 2500RL, had warranty replacement of axles with 3” diameter, new tires and new 1750lb springs. Still had only 2 1/2” clearance. Tires still rubbed. So I installed Morryde CRE3000 and wet bolts and 2500lb springs. I now have at least 3 5/8” clearance. Currently taking trailer out for first trip, so jury is still out. I am not confident that I won’t have bad tire wear pattern.

I noticed new 2019 trailer on dealer lot with 3” axles AND 1” taller hangers. A Grand Design acknowledgement of design problem ? They left the rest of us to fix their design problem with a questionable fix of using heavier springs. They should have recalled these trailers. I think there are hundreds or even thousands of these Imagines on the road and the owners don’t realize that there is a safety problem with tires rubbing. It’s not that the owners aren’t smart it’s just that they assume the trailer is designed properly. It is a bad design and Grand Design knows it.
    Last edited by danedubr; 04-25-2019 at 08:26 PM.
    Pete D.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for the 3” axles installed, the MORryde CRE 3000 and leaf spring hanger support welds..... about to go on an extended trip across the U.S., will post immediately if anything starts to look/act funny.
    Jim

2017 F-250 6.7L Fx4 Lariat Long Bed Crew Cab “Daisy”
    using Blue Ox Swaypro 1500S towing
    2018 Imagine 2800BH “River”
    ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000
    Champion 3400w Dual-Fuel Inverter Generator

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast