Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check the debris lumps in your roof - potential leak

Was doing a check on my roof in Florida a couple of weeks ago for caulking as well as trying to align my awning (different story) and notice a bit of a metallic look in one area where GD covered debris when putting the membrane on. Sure enough one of the many pieces of something caught under the membrane has poked a small hole in my 6 month old Reflection roof. Took the pictures below and then stuck a piece of Eternabond over the area to prevent any water leaks.

Sent the pics to the dealer yesterday and they have submitted a warranty claim and if GD accepts I will get a re-roof.

So seems like there is more to check on our roofs than just the caulking. Need to make sure that any debris left as a gift from GD under the membrane doesn't poke a hole and cause a water leak.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190405_112510_resized.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	19284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190405_112522_resized.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	19285

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice catch Rob. I’ve seen these on mine also, but to date haven’t seen any holes. Obviously this should not happen, and I’m not sure what the debris could be. I guess the brushes that apply the adhesive must not be clean, picking up minute metallic objects after being placed on the floor, or something similar. I’ll continue checking mine.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found three small holes in my roof membrane yesterday, 1/16"-1/8" and not obvious cause. I have not found anything that appears to be debris under the roof membrane. My build date is Apr. 2016 on my Momentum.

I did clean the area around those holes and sealed with dicor. Checking sealant is why I was up there in the first place.
    Last edited by JCZhome; 04-14-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Was doing a check on my roof in Florida a couple of weeks ago for caulking as well as trying to align my awning (different story) and notice a bit of a metallic look in one area where GD covered debris when putting the membrane on. Sure enough one of the many pieces of something caught under the membrane has poked a small hole in my 6 month old Reflection roof. Took the pictures below and then stuck a piece of Eternabond over the area to prevent any water leaks.

Sent the pics to the dealer yesterday and they have submitted a warranty claim and if GD accepts I will get a re-roof.

So seems like there is more to check on our roofs than just the caulking. Need to make sure that any debris left as a gift from GD under the membrane doesn't poke a hole and cause a water leak.

Name:	20190405_112510_resized.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	19284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190405_112522_resized.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	19285

Rob
    If you are going to get a re-roof paid for by GD. Ask them if you can have RV Armor do the roof replacement.

I heard it's the best route. KEN

JC. You might want to ask your insurance company if more holes show up.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    If you are going to get a re-roof paid for by GD. Ask them if you can have RV Armor do the roof replacement.

Thanks Ken. I have been thinking about that as well but living in Canada they don't have any dealers nearby that do this so would have to wait until I go to Florida in the fall. Once I find out for sure I will ask about this. I think it would be great if they would allow that even if I had to pay a little something on top of it. Lifetime warranty and never have to caulk the roof. Sounds like a dream come true. Wait and see what the response is from GD first on the re-roof. Also wonder about how much weight it would add to the trailer too and if that would be a concern.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post

I agree, I'd go with RV Armor roof. I saw one post that reported it was cheaper than the quote for them to re-do the stock OEM roof. But even if they'll give you what a re-roof would cost and you have to pull a little out of pocket, it'd be worth it down the road.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a soft spot in my 2018 Solitude roof, 15 months old. I was frustrated with their recommendation to check the roof every couple of months. I had a Flex Armor roof with lifetime warranty. They also mounted my new solar panels. Still working on the solar 315 watts per panel.

Name:	IMG_0043.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	19976

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HankCharp View Post
    I found a soft spot in my 2018 Solitude roof, 15 months old. I was frustrated with their recommendation to check the roof every couple of months. I had a Flex Armor roof with lifetime warranty. They also mounted my new solar panels. Still working on the solar 315 watts per panel.

Name:	IMG_0043.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	19976
    That looks great! If I ever have to replace my roof, that’s what I’ll go with.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was under there?

Hopefully you pulled it out and kept it so it doesn't create a problem with the patch.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    What was under there?

Hopefully you pulled it out and kept it so it doesn't create a problem with the patch.
    I didn't pull it out as I wanted to disturb as little as possible for the time being until I hear back from my dealer and GD. I am keeping a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't go through the patch. If GD denies warranty re-roof then I will remove the patch, take out whatever is under there and then re-patch.

Hope to hear back from the dealer soon and decide on the way forward then.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast