User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check the debris lumps in your roof - potential leak

Was doing a check on my roof in Florida a couple of weeks ago for caulking as well as trying to align my awning (different story) and notice a bit of a metallic look in one area where GD covered debris when putting the membrane on. Sure enough one of the many pieces of something caught under the membrane has poked a small hole in my 6 month old Reflection roof. Took the pictures below and then stuck a piece of Eternabond over the area to prevent any water leaks.

Sent the pics to the dealer yesterday and they have submitted a warranty claim and if GD accepts I will get a re-roof.

So seems like there is more to check on our roofs than just the caulking. Need to make sure that any debris left as a gift from GD under the membrane doesn't poke a hole and cause a water leak.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190405_112510_resized.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	19284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190405_112522_resized.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	19285

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice catch Rob. I’ve seen these on mine also, but to date haven’t seen any holes. Obviously this should not happen, and I’m not sure what the debris could be. I guess the brushes that apply the adhesive must not be clean, picking up minute metallic objects after being placed on the floor, or something similar. I’ll continue checking mine.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found three small holes in my roof membrane yesterday, 1/16"-1/8" and not obvious cause. I have not found anything that appears to be debris under the roof membrane. My build date is Apr. 2016 on my Momentum.

I did clean the area around those holes and sealed with dicor. Checking sealant is why I was up there in the first place.
    Last edited by JCZhome; 04-14-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Was doing a check on my roof in Florida a couple of weeks ago for caulking as well as trying to align my awning (different story) and notice a bit of a metallic look in one area where GD covered debris when putting the membrane on. Sure enough one of the many pieces of something caught under the membrane has poked a small hole in my 6 month old Reflection roof. Took the pictures below and then stuck a piece of Eternabond over the area to prevent any water leaks.

Sent the pics to the dealer yesterday and they have submitted a warranty claim and if GD accepts I will get a re-roof.

So seems like there is more to check on our roofs than just the caulking. Need to make sure that any debris left as a gift from GD under the membrane doesn't poke a hole and cause a water leak.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190405_112510_resized.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	19284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190405_112522_resized.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	19285

Rob
    If you are going to get a re-roof paid for by GD. Ask them if you can have RV Armor do the roof replacement.

I heard it's the best route. KEN

JC. You might want to ask your insurance company if more holes show up.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was under there?

Hopefully you pulled it out and kept it so it doesn't create a problem with the patch.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    If you are going to get a re-roof paid for by GD. Ask them if you can have RV Armor do the roof replacement.

Thanks Ken. I have been thinking about that as well but living in Canada they don't have any dealers nearby that do this so would have to wait until I go to Florida in the fall. Once I find out for sure I will ask about this. I think it would be great if they would allow that even if I had to pay a little something on top of it. Lifetime warranty and never have to caulk the roof. Sounds like a dream come true. Wait and see what the response is from GD first on the re-roof. Also wonder about how much weight it would add to the trailer too and if that would be a concern.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    What was under there?

Hopefully you pulled it out and kept it so it doesn't create a problem with the patch.
    I didn't pull it out as I wanted to disturb as little as possible for the time being until I hear back from my dealer and GD. I am keeping a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't go through the patch. If GD denies warranty re-roof then I will remove the patch, take out whatever is under there and then re-patch.

Hope to hear back from the dealer soon and decide on the way forward then.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post

I agree, I'd go with RV Armor roof. I saw one post that reported it was cheaper than the quote for them to re-do the stock OEM roof. But even if they'll give you what a re-roof would cost and you have to pull a little out of pocket, it'd be worth it down the road.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    ... and then stuck a piece of Eternabond over.... I am keeping a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't go through the patch. If GD denies warranty re-roof then I will remove the patch, take out whatever is under there and then re-patch.

Rob

Rob, sorry if this is stupid question, and I combine two of your posts for clarity, but how do you remove the Eternabond patch without damaging the roof? I have never tried, but that stuff feels like it is really stuck onto the roofing material.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Rob, sorry if this is stupid question, and I combine two of your posts for clarity, but how do you remove the Eternabond patch without damaging the roof? I have never tried, but that stuff feels like it is really stuck onto the roofing material.

Chris
    It is not easy to remove the Eternabond patch. I did it once before on my previous Rockwood. You have to start on a corner to lift and then very carefully cut the adhesive with an razor blade or exactoknife. If GD does not cover a full re-roof or RV-Armor I may just leave the eternabond patch there cover the seams with Dicor and put dicor over the area with the debris rather than risk the patch removal if it is really stuck on. Will think about that one if it comes to that. Really expecting GD to step up and fix it as there really shouldn't be sharp stuff left under the TPO when they put it down.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast