User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just purchased a 315RLTS. First question is to surge protect or not.

Hi folks. Bought our first new trailer. Had a 1989 TT for the last 11 years in a trailer park. It had 30 amp plug which was plugged into the 30 amp post. No surge protector. Never had any issues. The new trailer is 50amp. My first question is, do i need a surge protector? Were not travelling just parking it for now. If yes, which one should I get? 30amp or 50amp? In line or portable? Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadguy View Post
    Hi folks. Bought our first new trailer. Had a 1989 TT for the last 11 years in a trailer park. It had 30 amp plug which was plugged into the 30 amp post. No surge protector. Never had any issues. The new trailer is 50amp. My first question is, do i need a surge protector? Were not travelling just parking it for now. If yes, which one should I get? 30amp or 50amp? In line or portable? Thanks in advance.
    Welcome to the forum, congrats on the purchase. I dont know anyone who has regretted purchasing a surge protector. You should get the EMS version which protects against faulty power poles in addition to surge protection. Progressive Industries is the popular brand on here. It comes in portable or hardwired, both have their pros and cons but function the same with the exception the hardwired version will protect against problems with your shore power cord. Use the search function for "EMS" and you will find lots of info on both types and then you can determine what works best for you. It is worth the $$$, mine has protected me numerous times from issues with campground power.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum, roadguy. One of the very first mods I did was install an EMS ("Electrical Management System"). It does much more than suppress surges.

Check out this thread https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...0C-(Any-Tips-)

Don't miss post #12 where there's a PDF documenting how I installed mine.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new 315. I will echo what @FT4NOW has said , but I can not say it has saved me , yet. The hardwired unit for inside the camper is my suggestion. It will protect you when plugged in to any power , 50 amp , 30 amp and even 20 amp. Not to hard to install , plenty here have done it in the 315.

Brian

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. Guess I just need to research more.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. Guess I just need to research more.
    I would not say it is required by no means , just a little insurance policy. We have had 3 TT's prior and this is the first time I have had an EMS. But I must disclose I did not even know about one until I found this forum. There was enough recommendations and stories on saving camper electronics that I thought might as well buy one.

Brian

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome and YES! Never had a coach I did not protect. I've seen some goofy electrical stuff over the years. $300 is a cheap insurance policy for AC units, and other electronics. Required, no. BUT.................
    Thank you!

2021 310GKR Solitude
    2022 GMC Denali - Duramax

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have friends that were just in Florida. Campground had a low power problem. They heard the a/c losing power, but before they could get it turned off it was to late. Fried the a/c unit. They said the same thing. "All the years we've been camping we never had a power problem". Now they are looking at getting an EMS along with a new a/c unit.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our EMS has "saved" us several times - probably to the tune of several thousand dollars. On one occasion, it pulled us off-line with a lightening strike less than 100 ft. away. Two other times it took the rig off-line for severe "brown-outs"/under-voltage situations (often more damaging to appliances than other events). No question here - just do it.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015