User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    4daysrock
    All great info!!! Yes I was trying for the better ride when I'm not towing. With that said its sounds like I should be looking at a 3500 for extra weight wood, bikes etc. I don't want to exceed the capacity of the truck. I'm new at this thanks for all the input.

4daysrock
    Quote Originally Posted by notsosan View Post
    Seems to me the attraction of the 2500 is the superior ride when empty with the rear coils but if you are at all concerned about payload, go for the 3500.
    Are you SRW or DRW what gear ratio? I really want a SRW as parking a DRW is hard when I work in SF.

4daysrock
    Quote Originally Posted by overpolished View Post
    Hi Tony and Stef, Welcome and congrats on the new Reflection.

You do not mention enough specifics about the Ram you are looking at to give a firm answer. Gas/Diesel, what trim package... yep it all matters. The max payload is GVWR - Base vehicle weight. Your payload would be reduced by passenger weight, the weight of anything else you are putting in the truck, cargo, purses, bottle of water, etc, etc. You did not ask for my opinion.... but when it comes to a safe tow I like to have a decent amount of excess capacity and not be down to counting the lbs that are added to the truck. Will a 2014 2500 equipped properly pull your trailer yes... will it be at the top end of pin weight maybe... depending on the config. A gas 2500 6.4 hemi has more payload capacity than the diesel as the engine and transmission are a great deal lighter. If you think your reflection is the largest 5th wheel you will ever pull... you can probably get by with the 2500 in either diesel or gas.... some configurations are a great deal closer than others. I would personally recommend heading towards a bigger truck to hedge against many things.... too much crap loaded in the truck... or the nose of the trailer causing more pin weight. Maybe you enjoy your Reflection so much you would like a bigger rig..... now you have to swap trucks again.. and that is expensive. Just things to think about.

I had a very similar truck to you.... 2008 GMC 4x4 CCSB Duramax/Ally and I bought a 2014 Ram 3500 with the absolute highest towing capacity I could buy a couple of months ago (well I could have gotten a slightly higher tow capapcity with a lesser trim package, 4x2, and a reg cab.... but I "needed" this stuff)... it has more than enough capacity to tow anything I can ever dream of buying with capacity to spare. I will not have to worry about running up against any limits if I decide to stuff a bunch of firewood in the bed.... etc etc. Frankly for the safety of my family who will be riding with me, one less thing to worry about, and potential for premature wear on an expensive TV that is pushing up against limits I would consider looking at the bigger truck.

FYI... you can buy a very nice 3500 DRW Crew Cab with the High Output Cummins/Aisin Transmission, Laramie, 4x4, 5th wheel prep, rear bed (cargo) cam, 8.4AN, 4.10's, HO alternator, aux switches, and some other goodies for below $55k. You will get towing capacity of 28,900lbs with allowable pin weigh nearing 6k.

Here is the official Ram 2500 towing capacity sheet. http://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towi...wing.Specs.pdf

Best of luck on your decision and congrats again on the trailer.
    I test drove a truck just like but was disappointed when I tried to get on the freeway with a short ramp I felt like I was going to get run over!! Does the pickup get any better with time? I'm assuming it was slow since it was brand new 22mi on the truck. It felt like the truck had a dead throttle pedal.
    Last edited by 4daysrock; 09-05-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4daysrock View Post
    Are you SRW or DRW what gear ratio? I really want a SRW as parking a DRW is hard when I work in SF.
    I'm not sure they even make a DRW 2500. If they do, I doubt it will have that soft ride you're looking for.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

overpolished
    Yikes that is a drive I would not want to make.... but I would for $500k/year no less :-) . Seriously I have not see a single parking spot in SF that would be suited for a DRW it is damn big.

I test drove a truck just like but was disappointed when I tried to get on the freeway with a short ramp I felt like I was going to get run over!! Does the pickup get any better with time? I'm assuming it was slow since it was brand new 22mi on the truck. It felt like the truck had a dead throttle pedal.
    This is my second Cummins and they act more like tractors than race cars off the line..... I am not exactly sure why (maybe someone smarter than me will chime in). My 2008 DMax would beat my Ram off the line every day of the week unloaded. The V-8 diesels just seem peppier off the line than the 'ol in line six. Now when chugging up the hill with weight the Ram will run circles around my Dmax. I have never felt like I was going to be run over on a short on ramp though... I can get moving rather quickly for a big ol butt truck. I am at 1,200 miles now and I am noticing that the motor is loosening up a little.... brand new it the motor felt very tight. Another thing I notice is that 1st and 2nd gear don't last long... I am in third by 20MPH. Different class of engine here for sure...

The gearing in the Aisin is lower in gears 1 (3.75 vs 3.10) and 2 (2.00 vs 1.81) this couple with a 4.10 rearend.... versus a 3.73 (the only ratio GM offers on a diesel may contribute to this as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My buddy has a 2500 Ram with the Reflection 303. No issues at all with the weight. Always has one row of firewood in the back and and he does not have air bags.

On another note the new 2015 Ford 1500's will offer up to 3100lb payload with the ecoboost v6 and 3300 lb payload with the 5l. 12,200lb rating for trailer weight. http://www.trucktrend.com/features/n...ith_2015_f_150

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/2015...e-top-hp-f-150
    Paul
    North Bay, Ontario
    2014 Reflection 293RES
    VIN # 200283
    2014 Ram 2500

pcjunki
    We are pulling a 303RLS with a 2012 RAM 2500, ST, crew cab, 8 foot bed, 373 rear axle ratio and I have had it weighed in travel trim and total weight is ~19,600 lbs and we have not had any issues with towing. The 2500 doesn't even know it's there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2014 Ram 2500 6.7L diesel , pulls great but a major problem I have is the bed is so high off the ground my 303RLS sits 6" higher in the front than the rear when towing and there is NO WAY to lower the truck short of cutting the coil springs and that will definitely VOID the warranty. Don't understand why Dodge would trade the leaf springs for coil just for the sake of the ride when this truck is all about towing in the first place.
    2014 Ram 2500 W / 6.7L diesel
    2014 303 RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overpolished View Post
    Yikes that is a drive I would not want to make.... but I would for $500k/year no less :-) . Seriously I have not see a single parking spot in SF that would be suited for a DRW it is damn big.

This is my second Cummins and they act more like tractors than race cars off the line..... I am not exactly sure why (maybe someone smarter than me will chime in). My 2008 DMax would beat my Ram off the line every day of the week unloaded. The V-8 diesels just seem peppier off the line than the 'ol in line six. Now when chugging up the hill with weight the Ram will run circles around my Dmax. I have never felt like I was going to be run over on a short on ramp though... I can get moving rather quickly for a big ol butt truck. I am at 1,200 miles now and I am noticing that the motor is loosening up a little.... brand new it the motor felt very tight. Another thing I notice is that 1st and 2nd gear don't last long... I am in third by 20MPH. Different class of engine here for sure...

The gearing in the Aisin is lower in gears 1 (3.75 vs 3.10) and 2 (2.00 vs 1.81) this couple with a 4.10 rearend.... versus a 3.73 (the only ratio GM offers on a diesel may contribute to this as well.
    Ram trucks are real quick from a rolling start but not from a dead start. Not sure why ???
    2014 Ram 2500 W / 6.7L diesel
    2014 303 RLS

3daawgg
    I have a 2014 Ram with 6.4l hemi and tow a 303. No problems at all except I'm 4 inches nose high. I'm getting ready to upgrade to 16" tires so that will help some, but as far as the truck handling the weight, no problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12