User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4daysrock

Looking for a new truck questions about payload.

Looking to buy a new truck. Had question about payloads.
    I in the market for a new truck. I'm trying to find somebody who own a new dodge 2014 dodge 2500 that is towing a GD reflection. I want to know if the new 5 link rear end can handle the 1625 hitch weight ok or do I need to buy a 3500? This would be SRW LB truck. Dodge says the 2500 can handle 2200lbs of payload but if I put anything else in the bed camping gear etc I would be close to the max. Any input would be appreciated. I don't want to add airbags to a new truck
    Last edited by 4daysrock; 09-04-2014 at 11:15 AM.

DennisK
    Not sure what the difference is between 2013 and 2014 but I have a 2013 Ram with Airlift airbags and it pulls my Solitude 369RL very well. One campground that I frequent has a 9% grade for about 1 mile and it pulls with no problem and with the airbags, it is level as can be. I run them at 55psi.

4daysrock
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisK View Post
    Not sure what the difference is between 2013 and 2014 but I have a 2013 Ram with Airlift airbags and it pulls my Solitude 369RL very well. One campground that I frequent has a 9% grade for about 1 mile and it pulls with no problem and with the airbags, it is level as can be. I run them at 55psi.
    The new Ram 2500 comes with a new 5 link rear axle. I think yours has leaf springs?

DennisK
    Yes, it has leaf springs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what is the reasoning for the brand jump? The Duramax's are great engines, and so are the trucks they power.
    Korey SE WI
    2014 Denali 3500HD LML DRW 4wd FS Airbags 20k Reese
    2014 Momentum 385TH #1396
    2013 Manitou SES VP 150hp Mercury 4 stroke
    Volunteer Firefighter Since 1997

4daysrock
    Quote Originally Posted by Kordog View Post
    So what is the reasoning for the brand jump? The Duramax's are great engines, and so are the trucks they power.
    I love my GMC just not enough room with the std cab. The GMs are very pricey. You can get a lot of truck for $49-50k with the Ram. They won't deal on the GMs
    Last edited by 4daysrock; 09-04-2014 at 07:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that the RAWR has changed on the truck has it? Should be about 6000 - 6100 lbs.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that 1625 pin weight is empty. At the trailer's GVWR you would probably be looking at 2000 or more.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

overpolished
    Hi Tony and Stef, Welcome and congrats on the new Reflection.

You do not mention enough specifics about the Ram you are looking at to give a firm answer. Gas/Diesel, what trim package... yep it all matters. The max payload is GVWR - Base vehicle weight. Your payload would be reduced by passenger weight, the weight of anything else you are putting in the truck, cargo, purses, bottle of water, etc, etc. You did not ask for my opinion.... but when it comes to a safe tow I like to have a decent amount of excess capacity and not be down to counting the lbs that are added to the truck. Will a 2014 2500 equipped properly pull your trailer yes... will it be at the top end of pin weight maybe... depending on the config. A gas 2500 6.4 hemi has more payload capacity than the diesel as the engine and transmission are a great deal lighter. If you think your reflection is the largest 5th wheel you will ever pull... you can probably get by with the 2500 in either diesel or gas.... some configurations are a great deal closer than others. I would personally recommend heading towards a bigger truck to hedge against many things.... too much crap loaded in the truck... or the nose of the trailer causing more pin weight. Maybe you enjoy your Reflection so much you would like a bigger rig..... now you have to swap trucks again.. and that is expensive. Just things to think about.

I had a very similar truck to you.... 2008 GMC 4x4 CCSB Duramax/Ally and I bought a 2014 Ram 3500 with the absolute highest towing capacity I could buy a couple of months ago (well I could have gotten a slightly higher tow capapcity with a lesser trim package, 4x2, and a reg cab.... but I "needed" this stuff)... it has more than enough capacity to tow anything I can ever dream of buying with capacity to spare. I will not have to worry about running up against any limits if I decide to stuff a bunch of firewood in the bed.... etc etc. Frankly for the safety of my family who will be riding with me, one less thing to worry about, and potential for premature wear on an expensive TV that is pushing up against limits I would consider looking at the bigger truck.

FYI... you can buy a very nice 3500 DRW Crew Cab with the High Output Cummins/Aisin Transmission, Laramie, 4x4, 5th wheel prep, rear bed (cargo) cam, 8.4AN, 4.10's, HO alternator, aux switches, and some other goodies for below $55k. You will get towing capacity of 28,900lbs with allowable pin weigh nearing 6k.

Here is the official Ram 2500 towing capacity sheet. http://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towi...wing.Specs.pdf

Best of luck on your decision and congrats again on the trailer.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to me the attraction of the 2500 is the superior ride when empty with the rear coils but if you are at all concerned about payload, go for the 3500.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast