Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 Momentum 28G Problems

Hi there,

Just seeing if there are any other 28G owners out there having the same problems. This unit has 30 amp service and we cannot seem to run multiple items. Unit has 2 AC units, we’ve tried setting at diff temps but the circuit keeps blowing. This morning we had coffee maker going and the microwave, plugged toaster in and soon as tried toasting bread it popped the circuit. Seems the 30 amp service is way under powered for even the simplest of multiple tasks.
    Also cannot get the stove lit inside, tanks are full, outside burners work great. Any suggestions? They worked on our last trip 3 weeks ago?

Lastly, our ramp door does not seem to want to stay down when trying to load. Seems like it’s more happy being 3 feet off the ground, you have to stand on it to keep it down.

Thank you kindly,

Don

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don

Sorry for your issues. The only one I can attest to is the 30 amp. 30 amp is designed for 1 a/c unit. In our previous TT , 30 amp , we had similar problems with trying to run to many things at one time. We found if we kept the a/c on low we could do other things but not the microwave at the same time , those are electric hogs. Another thing to watch is the water heater , if it is on electric and comes on when you are suing a/c or microwave that may trip breaker as well.
    Depending on the campground you are at and how good the electric being supplied , volts and amps , this could lead to issues as well. If this is an older campground they do not keep up with maintenance or updating there electric panels. You may want to check the pedestal where you plug in for proper voltage and even the breaker , older breakers will trip easily , you can test this by gently trying to trip the breaker by hand , if it seems easy it may need replaced. Check with the campground and see if they can send a maintenance person there to help you trouble shoot this , if that is all ok then you may look into the camper side.

Brian

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darvin01 View Post
    Hi there,

Just seeing if there are any other 28G owners out there having the same problems. This unit has 30 amp service and we cannot seem to run multiple items. Unit has 2 AC units, we’ve tried setting at diff temps but the circuit keeps blowing. This morning we had coffee maker going and the microwave, plugged toaster in and soon as tried toasting bread it popped the circuit. Seems the 30 amp service is way under powered for even the simplest of multiple tasks.
    Also cannot get the stove lit inside, tanks are full, outside burners work great. Any suggestions? They worked on our last trip 3 weeks ago?

Lastly, our ramp door does not seem to want to stay down when trying to load. Seems like it’s more happy being 3 feet off the ground, you have to stand on it to keep it down.

Thank you kindly,

Don
    Don,
    Two air conditioners? On a 30A service unit? I went and looked at GD's website and do not see that the second a/c is an option. Was it added by the dealer? It is my understanding it's not possible to run two a/c units with a 30A service line.

As you can see by my sig pic I have a 315RLTS that has 50A service. During a recent trip we experienced our first 30A pedestal while camping. Since I have an EMS-HW50C Fran and I could monitor our amperage usage and manage what we turned on to keep the number under 30A. To keep this short--Fran hated the restriction. She's spoiled by the 50A (which is actually TWO 50A lines).

BL--you'll have to learn to manage your usage.

-Howard

P.S. I'm still confused about the two a/c units--very curious on that one.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

Thank you kindly,

Don
    The 30 amp service is just that.....30A. That equates to 3600 watts max. Trying to run two A/C units is usually not successful. A 15K A/C unit will pull 14-16 amps when running, and a 13.5K unit will pull slightly less....so you are on the ragged edge if you're trying to run both at the same time. Same dealer with the other stuff you mentioned. Coffee makers are commonly around 10 amps, add in the microwave...maybe another 11-12 amp, and then put the toaster on and you are going to exceed the 30A breaker's limit. With a 30A system, you have to learn to "ration" or use the available power by taking turns.....if the A/C is running, you probably are only going to be able to use one other device....the coffee pot OR the toaster OR the microwave OR the water heater, but usually not more than two items at a time. And maybe not even two if say there is a hair dryer going or the converter is pulling power to charge the batteries. Hope this helps you understand it a little better.

As far as the ramp door, it will probably "loosen up" with time and use.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odd that GD would put a 30A in when you have 2 AC's. Never seen that before. Usually when a 2nd AC is added the MFG automatically upgrades to 50A. Was the AC added buy the dealer?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see that the current spec on Grand Design web site (for 2020 Momentum 28G) lists it as 30 amp service AND a 13.5k second A/C is a factory option. I would call GD Monday and ask if the service is upgraded to 50 amp when the second AC is ordered. Mistakes have been know to happen.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 04-14-2019 at 12:38 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Brian. Makes complete sense, of course the dealer spun it another way that you could run both AC’s at once. We were to naive. The rest makes complete sense. Thank you for your response.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point Chris! Thank you for the response.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the response. We agree. The unit arrived from the factory w every option available, including 2 AC units on 30 amp.
    Even had the AC’s units off today at Fort Wilderness and still popped the circuit making coffee, toast and microwave for instant oatmeal, tv was on and interior lights as well though. I’m making it work but the glamping wife is getting tired of it

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the response. We agree. The unit arrived from the factory w every option available, including 2 AC units on 30 amp.
    Even had the AC’s units off today at Fort Wilderness and still popped the circuit making coffee, toast and microwave for instant oatmeal, tv was on and interior lights as well though. I’m making it work but the glamping wife is getting tired of it
    Forum usage hint: Use Reply With Quote so the individual you are responding to gets a notice (like you just did when I used the function to respond to you).
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast