User Tag List

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proper use of Auto Retract

I have been hooking up to the TV by manually retracting the leveling gear, then raising the landing gear to the appropriate level and hooking up. Once hooked up I manually retract the landing gear.

I was watching an LCI video on the LevelUp system and they use the memory feature to raise the trailer for hookup, do the hookup, and then hit Auto Retract and it brings up the levelers and the landing gear at that point.

My question is: Does that method put too much load on the back levelers? Am I being kinder to the equipment doing it manually or I am I (as usual) overthinking this and should just hit the darn button and watch the show?
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    I have been hooking up to the TV by manually retracting the leveling gear, then raising the landing gear to the appropriate level and hooking up. Once hooked up I manually retract the landing gear.

I was watching an LCI video on the LevelUp system and they use the memory feature to raise the trailer for hookup, do the hookup, and then hit Auto Retract and it brings up the levelers and the landing gear at that point.

My question is: Does that method put too much load on the back levelers? Am I being kinder to the equipment doing it manually or I am I (as usual) overthinking this and should just hit the darn button and watch the show?
    When you use the reconnect feature, the mid and rear jacks retract automatically just before the front is raised to the previous disconnecting position. Auto retract just retracts the front jacks after hookup. This assumes you have used the auto level feature after you disconnected.

We have electric jacks on our 303 but our traveling buddies have a 2018 Montana with the same GC 3.0 hydraulic system you have and that is how it works.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Auto retract" on our Solitude retracts all 6 jacks. You probably do not need to but I manually retract the rear and mid jacks. I think it is a little easier on the trailer (probably does not really matter) and puts it back int he same position/condition as when I unhooked so I can "reset to hitch height". To manually retract the mid & rear jacks I use "manual mode" --> "retract" --> "rear". Then I set hookup height (push "left" & "right" buttons together), hook up, slightly retract the front landing gear, do a "tug test" and then hit "auto retract". I then visually verify all jacks are fully retracted. Probably overkill, but gives me three "retracts" and check to make sure all jacks are retracted.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 04-14-2019 at 02:53 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to read the manual carefully to fully understand what is going on. In our Momentum, the auto hitch mode operates differently if you use the inside controller on the MYRV pad vs using the "manual" controls on the outside.

If I want to micro-manage the controls I go to the inside controller and switch it over to manual mode, then I have a great deal of control over the jacks.

For the most part I am happy with the auto-modes. Auto-level, hitch mode, etc.

So one of the key things to understand is that auto hitch mode will never "lower" anything. The possibility of crushing something is there, so no lowering. Auto hitch from the outside controller may pull the rear jacks up and raise the nose to the correct position. From the inside controller it works much better, it will raise the reat jacks and raise the front jacks to the correct position.

Works about 30% of the time. Wonderful when it works. But, I will too often end up on the inside controller with "manual" selected and individually control the jacks.

You just have to think about it a little before you push the button. Having the trailer properly chalked goes a long way to preventing damage.

So you should have seen my expression the day I accidently hit "Retract All". Thank god for good engineers or I would have torn a bunch of stuff up.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750