User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah my setup is all Victron except the inverter which is Magnum. It does great, but I do wish I had gone Victron for that as well for the shared control and app.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Relay SOC Settings

----------------------
    UPDATE: The Relay settings (according to Battle Born) are only effective if you have a CCGX Color Monitor, a Multiplus (or similar Victron) Inverter, and a built-in generator. Apparently what these settings do is drive the generator to start so the batteries are recharged when needed. In my case these settings won't make any difference.
    ----------------------

The purpose of this post is to highlight (again) that the settings in the BMV-712 are dependent on the specific manufacturer and model battery in your system. Just knowing the type (i.e. "flooded", "AGM", or "lithium") is not enough information. (I suspect AMSolar's settings shown below are probably for Victron lithium batteries.)

Why are these settings important? It is my understanding that if the SOC settings are not correct you won't get the full use from your battery setup. Honestly, I am not sure what "relay" they are referencing in these settings. When I find out I'll update this post.

For more information on State of Charge (SOC) settings and what each of these settings mean, check out the BMV-712 manual. (The manual SOC relay (discharge floor) info is on page 24.)

Here's the default Relay settings as found before any changes were made:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0910 (Large).JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	19379

This is what AMSolar recommended in their video:

Name:	AMSolar Screen Shot.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	19380

This is what Battle Born recommends in their video:

Name:	BB Screen Shot.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	19381

Here's how I have mine configured. Note the screen config is slightly different probably due to different versions of the app:

Name:	IMG_0915 (Large).JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	19382
    Last edited by howson; 04-17-2019 at 02:15 PM.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hey Jim since you’re an electrician and much more knowledgeable than I am on this subject, I was wondering if you looked at any other brands before installing the Victron unit? For example, I use the Magnum ME-RC50 display.
    I was wondering if you had any information on this model and how it compares to the Victron. I know as far as inverters go Victron and Magnum are both high-end, with the Magnum having slightly better specs but a little more expensive.

The one difference in their remote displays that I’m aware of is the fact that the Magnum doesn’t have the blue tooth functionality but that’s not something I would use since our setup is so robust I rarely bother looking at the display.
    It would just be a gee-whiz gadget app for me, but if you think the Victron display is a better unit overall I’d be open to the idea of changing them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I setup my shunt almost exactly like Jim did (that's his setup above). I really dislike the nearly 30' long RJ-12 since my meter and shunt are very close to each other so I replaced it with a 3' cord from Amazon. Works perfect.

Just an FYI...

Name:	Amazon Cable.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	19573

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Balmar SG200 Self Learning battery monitor in the attached link looks to be a game changer. R.C. Collins who runs the website is a highly regarded marine electrician. I have a learned a lot from his site that will be applicable to the RV world. I have also bought tools and butyl tape from his site.
    https://marinehowto.com/balmar-sg200...ttery-monitor/

Mark

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark&Colleen View Post
    The Balmar SG200 Self Learning battery monitor in the attached link looks to be a game changer. R.C. Collins who runs the website is a highly regarded marine electrician. I have a learned a lot from his site that will be applicable to the RV world. I have also bought tools and butyl tape from his site.
    https://marinehowto.com/balmar-sg200...ttery-monitor/

Mark
    Interesting article. But I don't see it as much of a game changer. The programming of the 712 took all of 60 seconds. Hookup is similar to the Victron and other brands. The SoH calculations are a little different and may be useful for a lead acid battery bank. I wonder how it will do in the marketplace.

Jim

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=howson;230546]

I setup my shunt almost exactly like Jim did (that's his setup above). I really dislike the nearly 30' long RJ-12 since my meter and shunt are very close to each other so I replaced it with a 3' cord from Amazon. Works perfect.

Just an FYI...

Name:	Amazon Cable.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	19573

How are you guys attaching the shuntbox to trailer frame? Just self tapping metal screws?

Thanks

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Hey Jim since you’re an electrician and much more knowledgeable than I am on this subject, I was wondering if you looked at any other brands before installing the Victron unit? For example, I use the Magnum ME-RC50 display.
    I was wondering if you had any information on this model and how it compares to the Victron. I know as far as inverters go Victron and Magnum are both high-end, with the Magnum having slightly better specs but a little more expensive.

The one difference in their remote displays that I’m aware of is the fact that the Magnum doesn’t have the blue tooth functionality but that’s not something I would use since our setup is so robust I rarely bother looking at the display.
    It would just be a gee-whiz gadget app for me, but if you think the Victron display is a better unit overall I’d be open to the idea of changing them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is kind of like the Ford/Dodge/Chevy discussions. They all have different features. But they all get the job done. I went with Victron because that is the brand that Battle Born sells and they frequently can provide tech assistance like programming information.

Jim

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artsville View Post
    How are you guys attaching the shuntbox to trailer frame? Just self tapping metal screws?

Thanks
    I drilled two holes in the box that matched up with the holes in the shunt. Then I just ran two self tapping metal screws into the frame through the shunt mounting holes.

Jim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

What size box did you order, I just ordered my Victron Battery Monitor and want to have the box in hand when the unit arrives? I have the 297RSTS and plan on installing just as you did.
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast