Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chris!

I also would like to see a separate forum for maintenance & DYI Trailer modifications. Many owners at the rally had done some mods to their trailers. Im sure others would like to find out what is possible

About Zerk fittings:
    Call Jerry McCArthy at Grand Design to ask him what the zerk fittings are for He told me that there are zerks fittings for lubricating the axles and also the trail air suspension. Jerry told me that it was not necessary to buy the lifetime bushings from Lippert as long as we grease them through those zerks.

Questions:
    1) what type of grease should we use on the brakes? high pressure grease? Lithium grease?
    2) if the axle zerks you see are for the bearings, does that mean we don't have to take them apart like your doing?
    3) what type of grease should we use on a lll of those zerk fittings?

Thanks for your description and pictures. Much appreciated

Aaron
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taking our 2014 Solitude 305RE #425 to the Lippert Service Center tomorrow to get the bearings repacked and the brakes adjusted. We were already in town getting some warranty issues taken care of next week and thought we'd do the brake service while we were here. We bought the RV 5/30/14 and it's been to Alaska and back....12,000M. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Larry & Mollie
    2014 Grand Design Solitude 305RE #425
    2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 quad cab
    Hometown - Slapout, Alabama
    Traveling for 4+ years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back from Lippert service department and we had a broken magnet and leaking oil in the brakes and only the rear 2 brakes were working - since it was under warranty we could either replace as is or for minimal $ we could change to self adjusting brakes. We chose the latter, so we got 4 electric brake assemblies and 4 hub assemblies/brake hubs and are very happy we took it in for a check-up.
    Larry & Mollie
    Traveling for 4+ years

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Okay, now I'm really getting concerned about multiple instances of grease leaking into the brake compartment. Is it the seals that are leaking? For those of you who had a leak, did you inject grease into the hub at anytime before the brake contamination was detected?

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim,
    I did not lube the bearings prior to tearing it apart. When I had asked service if there were Zerks, they said no, that the axles had to be hand packed. We now know different. If you notice a significant change in your brakes, then you should look. Otherwise, check them at 12 months or 12K miles. Don't forget to lube your equaflex too.

So today, I took the drums over to NAPA's machine shop. I had them clean the drums. It cost me $20, but was well worth getting all of the grease residue out of the drums. I'm going to finish sand them prior to re-assembly. I will take pictures as I go along so that I can document the process.

Thanks
    Ct..
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Hi Gang,
    We ended up with surprise company this weekend, and their motorhome. I was given the directive (from she who shall not be ignored) to move Soli. I got the brakes done in a rush, but didn't have any time to take the pictures. I'll be doing it again soon on a buddies rig, and I'll put it up then.
    Sorry,
    Ct..
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TucsonJim - you asked if we injected grease in the hub - NO....only had our unit for 3 1/2 months. We took it to Alaska and back...so we had the mileage and decided to have it checked while we were here in Indiana and are really glad we did.
    Larry & Mollie
    Traveling for 4+ years

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123