User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3M Thinsulate Window Film

I have been giving the windows a lot of thought, they let in a huge amount of heat when the sun shines on them and they let a lot of cold intrude in the winter. I am going to actively pursue getting an estimate to have 3m Thinsulate window film installed on the inside of the Solitude windows. Hopefully it doesn't brake the bank. Since summer is around the corner, it would be nice to not have the extreme heat gain from the windows. I have foil bubble wrap cut for most of the windows, but to be honest, it blocks the view and is only marginally effective since it is not sealed to the windows.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try the ceramic film. Even the clear ceramic film blocks more heat (from the demonstration heat lamp in the tint shops) than the darkest limo tint. I had it put on my front windshield, also.

See it here..... https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...l=1#post120670

Go to a window tint shop and tell them that you want to see/feel a demonstration with the ceramic films.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a quote to tint all of my windows in our 310GK with 3M thinsulate window tint, 2186.00 which seems a bit expensive and will require a few nights of sleeping on it. I will ask about the ceramic coating for a comparision.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    Try the ceramic film. Even the clear ceramic film blocks more heat (from the demonstration heat lamp in the tint shops) than the darkest limo tint. I had it put on my front windshield, also.

See it here..... https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...l=1#post120670

Go to a window tint shop and tell them that you want to see/feel a demonstration with the ceramic films.
    Do you feel the window tinting was a worthwhile investment?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    Do you feel the window tinting was a worthwhile investment?
    Our windows are already pretty dark in my truck and the Momentum so I only went with the very light tint....I was after the ceramic film. Even my front windshield has the clear tint and it has made a big difference in cutting temp.

You should know that ceramic film.....even the clear...cuts the temps much more than "tint". There's a big difference between "tint" and "ceramic" film.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a quote last night of 1516.00 to do all of the windows with ceramic film and I think I will go this route. Do you notice a difference in cold transfer with the ceramic film? With the amount of glass in the Solitude, cold and heat both transfer a huge amount through the windows. When in bed in the winter with temps around 0, the small window next to where I sleep had a feeling like it was open is how much cold it was letting in.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worland, Wyo......you know "cold" and you know "windy".

I have a 376 (lots of big windows) and it seems like I paid $2,200. I believe they initially wanted $2,500. I did shop around at some of the bigger tint shops that had high reviews. A couple of them wanted over $3,000.

There are benefits that I wasn't even told about. I knew that it cut way, way down on the heat transfer. Having been coast to coast a couple of times and been in temps. down to 14F we've learned that it also blocks the cold temp transfer and we never experienced the condensation problems that RVs on both sides of us would have. Even in the snow, it'd be very light condensation on just a couple of the biggest windows. We could see it on the windows of rigs on either side of us....just covering their windows. In the summer months our A/Cs don't run near as much as those around us.....ours cycle a lot more and don't run constantly like those around us.

Knowing what I know about it now....it was pricey but I would do it again. Initially, I had all of my truck windows done because our dogs are always in the back seat. I was so impressed with the truck through my last California summer that I got the Momentum done just before we went full time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    I got a quote to tint all of my windows in our 310GK with 3M thinsulate window tint, 2186.00 which seems a bit expensive and will require a few nights of sleeping on it. I will ask about the ceramic coating for a comparision.
    I am in the final process of installing solar screens and have the exact same model as yours. Went to a shop that makes solar screens for house windows and provided exact measurements. Ordered 90% material and bronze frames. Total for 13 solar screens was about $500.

I attached them to the windows using Command strips and can easily remove and install each trip. They all store nicely in the basement. During the winter I won't use them and may or may not remove the Command strips. All the Command strips attach to the glass itself with the exception of the dining table slide which has frames around those 2 windows. For those just order 1.5" more than you need on each side and attach to the coach itself instead of the window. I live in an extreme climate and park in my driveway. The temperature decrease inside the coach is substantial with the screens in place.

Also when camping you can just install them on the sunny side rather than all the way around. I did not install screens for the bedroom as it has it's own dedicated AC and I have yet to be uncomfortable in that room even in 115 degree Death Valley temps!

I also had 3M Crystalline installed last year for about the same price as you were quoted. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	723B4ED4-59E0-4750-900D-F099930032E2.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	596.3 KB 
ID:	19591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B3DC869F-84DB-412A-B244-7596D65CD2DF.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	605.4 KB 
ID:	19592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7CD1EC86-5EA1-4A1B-AF89-58531CCD779B.jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	654.4 KB 
ID:	19593
    Last edited by Markb777; 04-25-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    Titan Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000 with X Factor Crossmember
    2022 GMC 3500HD Duramax Crew Cab, 4x4, SRW 6’ box
    Factory 5th/Gooseneck Prep with 20K Reese Goosebox

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 376 (lots of big windows) and it seems like I paid $2,200. I believe they initially wanted $2,500. I did shop around at some of the bigger tint shops that had high reviews. A couple of them wanted over $3,000.

There are benefits that I wasn't even told about. I knew that it cut way, way down on the heat transfer. Having been coast to coast a couple of times and been in temps. down to 14F we've learned that it also blocks the cold temp transfer and we never experienced the condensation problems that RVs on both sides of us would have. Even in the snow, it'd be very light condensation on just a couple of the biggest windows. We could see it on the windows of rigs on either side of us....just covering their windows. In the summer months our A/Cs don't run near as much as those around us.....ours cycle a lot more and don't run constantly like those around us.

Knowing what I know about it now....it was pricey but I would do it again. Initially, I had all of my truck windows done because our dogs are always in the back seat. I was so impressed with the truck through my last California summer that I got the Momentum done just before we went full time.
    Thank you! I have an appointment in Cody, WY on May 8th to get the Ceramic film installed, I am glad you said you could notice a difference in the winter too. We like to camp outside of our daughter's house in Belgrade, MT or where ever else looks interesting, so I am constantly looking for ways to improve cold weather camping. Hot weather has it's own special meaning, when we picked up our 310GK in Longmont, CO, it was 100 degrees outside, and at least that hot inside the trailer. My 3500 watt honda generator kept tripping out the main 29 amp circuit breaker trying to run one a/c unit. Finally I turned off the power converter and was able to run the a/c. It took a very long time to drop the temp inside the trailer. I think the glass was the main culprit, so hopefully the film will help.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you put the film on the inside or the outside of the window? We did our home with the film on the outside and it has worked really well but I wonder about all the chemicals that one encounters on the road and in wash racks. My installer seems really confident in an outside installation to keep more heat out.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast