User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We like it cold.

I see other folks with the doors and windows open when it is in the mid 80s and up with a fan going.

Different strokes.

Personally I'd get the second air in any coach because the one time I'm sitting there hot I'd be ticked at myself for being cheap on something I consider important. We keep the air at 65 when we sleep and 74 during awake time. We are on the other end of the spectrum.

Funny side note, when we were looking at the units we were comparing momentum and solitude. There was a floor plan we liked and would of considered it more had there been a 3rd air option. Having been in RV's a long time we wanted that third air, the units are almost the same size, there isn't much reason to not offer a third air, but it was a big negative for us.

So go with the extra air. If you're asking, you'll probably want it at some point.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by camper1013 View Post
    So we purchased a used 2015 323 BHS in January. I have spent countless hours cleaning it up, touching up the frame and redoing seals and caulking. This last weekend I was doing the roof I could tell the original AC has been replaced from old marks on the roof.

Closer inspection shows that the old 16k factory AC was replaced by a 13.5k AC presumably to save a few dollars. The date sticker on the unit said 2018, so at least it is new. The original owner was a mechanic and a hack at that. I would never take my vehicle to him after what I have uncovered on this trailer. Something else to deal with. I was so mad I could have ripped if off the roof right there.

We have the prep for the second AC. I was going to get a low profile for the front to keep the height down, but now I am considering putting the smaller AC on the front and replacing it with a larger one the way it should be.

Here are my questions, is the high vs. low profile an issue for the front of the trailer? Also, after losing on our last trailer and setting this one up a new AC is not in the budget. What is the odds we can get by with the smaller AC for now? I know if we are in the sun we will be screwed, but what if we are in the shade?

Thanks in advance.
    Noise is the reason I'd want the second AC on the front. We typically run the bedroom during the day/evening so it's not so loud in the living room and then the opposite at night. The second AC is nice to have, too, after a hot day of towing in the sun. Running both cools the camper down relatively quickly.

If the budget can't handle it, put it on "the list". Who knows, maybe a retailer will have a super-sale on the unit you want when you've got a few dollars put aside.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have stated everyone has a different tolerance to heat. Mine and that of my wife’s is very low. Our Reflection has two air-conditioning units. The dealer did not install a low profile unit in front. It is a regular height Coleman Mach. But it is connected to the race track system and it does help the 15k main unit to cool down the trailer more quickly.

Being the trailer is already a brick, I’m not too concerned about the air resistance of the front unit. It does look a little funny however being so tall.

Unless you have double pane windows, I would also recommend installing some quality window film with a high total solar heat rejection value. I’m going to install some Concord Film 20% tint myself. TSER is 68% which should help quite a bit on hot sunny days.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you TheLexx, at 7 or 8 mpg, a low profile A/C unit won't make much difference for the weekend camper guy. I'm going to put a second on the front of my 5th wheel, mach 15 hp2 I'm thinking. Mom always told me, 'you can never be too cool!'

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    We like it cold.

I see other folks with the doors and windows open when it is in the mid 80s and up with a fan going.

Different strokes.

Personally I'd get the second air in any coach because the one time I'm sitting there hot I'd be ticked at myself for being cheap on something I consider important. We keep the air at 65 when we sleep and 74 during awake time. We are on the other end of the spectrum.

Funny side note, when we were looking at the units we were comparing momentum and solitude. There was a floor plan we liked and would of considered it more had there been a 3rd air option. Having been in RV's a long time we wanted that third air, the units are almost the same size, there isn't much reason to not offer a third air, but it was a big negative for us.

So go with the extra air. If you're asking, you'll probably want it at some point.
    We are on the "opposite end" of this. We use our AC to remove the humidity without changing much from the outside temperature. This eases the "thermal shock" of going back and forth from inside to outside. We are lucky to have one of the earlier Atwood ACs. We can run our single rear AC on low (which cools better than higher air speeds per earlier discussion on this thread) and still comfortably hear the TV. It is seldom that we go to bed without the windows and hatches open. We like the evening fresh air . . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerely.115 View Post
    The 13.5k AC is probably enough to help you get by for now especially that you mentioned that you are planning to get a second AC for your trailer. If the one that's already there in your trailer is working fine, then I guess a low profile secondary unit would be enough to make it comfortable inside your trailer. You could also have the existing AC checked by a professional to make sure that it is in good condition, you can refer to this post to learn more. Having it checked by a professional would also help you see the repairs it may need that's going to allow your unit to last longer.
    I rather imagine, since this thread is over a year old, that the decision has been made.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2019 Imagine 2800BH, and have been very happy with it but need something larger. We are looking at a Solitude 3740BH fifth wheel, but are told that the 3rd ac is not available, and one dealer even told us GD will not even prep for the 3rd ac when we order it. We live in Texas, and have been very glad for our two acs in our little 32’ Imagine, and are concerned about only having 2 acs in a much larger rig. Any advice? We are reluctant to order if they won’t even prep for it, where we could add the third ac later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12